Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MAY-JUNE-JULY 2020 BYPASSERS UNITE!! Veterans Welcome too!

37 minutes ago, MaybeMeow said:

Oh no wonder you are frustrated! I’m so sorry you’re facing this uncertainty. I would be upset too. My initial surgery was postponed from early April to June 9th. I admit I went back to snacking constantly. It was the way I coped. Ended up gaining 8 pounds during those 2 months. But... I had a lot of food funerals. My only advice is one day, one hour at a time. The Covid situation is beyond your control. Keep plugging forward. The one-hour-at-a-time is how I powered thru those first 5 days post op so it will be a good quality to have practiced. Stay positive! Believe it will happen! And can you get your groceries delivered? Gotta stay healthy! I’m crossing all my fingers for you. Onward!!

Thank you, Meow! Everything you say is true and it is exactly what I need to hear. I appreciate you!

Great post, love your enthusiasm

On 06/25/2020 at 15:16, MaybeMeow said:

Thank you. I'm trying to stay grounded. I have three surgery-twin buddies with the same date/Rny and we message one another each day and all three have lost significantly more than I have. But I am the lightest starting-weight of the group so... that certainly matters. I'm staying positive! ONWARD!

I had my RNY on 6/09 and only lost 8# in 2 weeks and my doctor was fine with that. Everyone is different so don’t get discouraged if someone loses quicker than you do.

I finally have my surgery date scheduled for July 16! I started doing the WLM and the long list of insurance requirements back in September 2019. Due to Covid getting my surgery date was delayed right as I had completed everything I needed to have done. Yet, now that I have a date I have been a ball of emotions today. I’ve been reading everyone’s posts and am happy to be able to connect with other people that have gone through or will be going through with gastric bypass.

I have to admit I did the Covid slide to the dang fridge from being cooped up with 3 kids that I suddenly was responsible for teaching, along with balancing everything else during these crazy times. I had to do my meetings over the phone with my nutritionist since our group could no longer meet. I felt like it was never going to happen given the circumstances in the world right now. Thankfully before I received the call that I had been approved by my insurance and received an official surgery date today I had already started the pre-op diet to get on track a couple days ago. Good luck to everyone out there on this journey! I am so happy that I’m about to join you all on the losers bench!

5’6”
HW- 319
CW-288
Goal- Anything under 200 and healthy!

Great post, I was not so lucky with insurance. I am self pay, but digging into my savings is totally worth it. See ya on the bench, too.

Whoa Nellie! Oof. ((burp)) excuse me.

Hello Post Op Day 18! So I had 2 oz of well-chewed chicken last night (Hawaiian Brothers Huli huli well rinsed) and it went down well so I thought I'd do it again this afternoon. Not sure what was different. Maybe I didn't chew as well. Maybe too close to Vitamins. But it felt stuck up high. More than I've ever experienced. I've done enough research to know this is fairly common and my body would want to throw it up. But I thought I'd try and fight it. Not pleasant.

I walked around my first floor burping the food up but not allowing it to fully come up. Then I went outside for a slow walk. Then I thought I would just give in and headed to the bathroom and got what I've heard sleevers call the Foamies. But I felt marginally better after that. SO I decided to keep up the fight and hop in the shower. I soaked for a about 10 minutes. That was about 20 minutes ago. No Barf! It's still kinda high but I no longer feel "in danger" of tossing it up. I'm burping a lot of air. But I believe the crisis is averted. I'm glad I knew what was happening or I might've freaked out a little.

I'll be waiting until much later this evening for "dinner" and stick to a poached egg. Currently I'm suppose to be eating 3-4 servings of soft but solid Proteins a day starting with 1oz each and working my way up to 3 ozs by week 6. Guess my body isn't ready for 2 oz. At least not of chicken.

Otherwise feeling good. I always wake with a lot of gas and cramping. Then feel better after my morning Protein Shake. Very little pain except some aching behind the big left incision and some wash of nerve pain across the front. Still walking each night for 20 minutes. Tried to increase it last night and pooped out. Still struggling to get 64 oz of Water in but I'm usually around 50oz.

I'm bored out of my mind and there doesn't appear to be much of an end to that. Things are closing down again here in MO. How's everyone doing today? Careful of Chicken! ONWARD!

7 hours ago, MaybeMeow said:

Whoa Nellie! Oof. ((burp)) excuse me.

Hello Post Op Day 18! So I had 2 oz of well-chewed chicken last night (Hawaiian Brothers Huli huli well rinsed) and it went down well so I thought I'd do it again this afternoon. Not sure what was different. Maybe I didn't chew as well. Maybe too close to Vitamins. But it felt stuck up high. More than I've ever experienced. I've done enough research to know this is fairly common and my body would want to throw it up. But I thought I'd try and fight it. Not pleasant.

I walked around my first floor burping the food up but not allowing it to fully come up. Then I went outside for a slow walk. Then I thought I would just give in and headed to the bathroom and got what I've heard sleevers call the Foamies. But I felt marginally better after that. SO I decided to keep up the fight and hop in the shower. I soaked for a about 10 minutes. That was about 20 minutes ago. No Barf! It's still kinda high but I no longer feel "in danger" of tossing it up. I'm burping a lot of air. But I believe the crisis is averted. I'm glad I knew what was happening or I might've freaked out a little.

I'll be waiting until much later this evening for "dinner" and stick to a poached egg. Currently I'm suppose to be eating 3-4 servings of soft but solid Proteins a day starting with 1oz each and working my way up to 3 ozs by week 6. Guess my body isn't ready for 2 oz. At least not of chicken.

Otherwise feeling good. I always wake with a lot of gas and cramping. Then feel better after my morning Protein Shake. Very little pain except some aching behind the big left incision and some wash of nerve pain across the front. Still walking each night for 20 minutes. Tried to increase it last night and pooped out. Still struggling to get 64 oz of Water in but I'm usually around 50oz.

I'm bored out of my mind and there doesn't appear to be much of an end to that. Things are closing down again here in MO. How's everyone doing today? Careful of Chicken! ONWARD!

I could’ve written this post. On Soups and broths I was good with one ounce but when it comes to the chicken (boars head everroast shaved) I can only do about 0.8 ounces. Still not making it to the 64 ounces of Water but getting closer. Glad to hear you are doing well.

13 hours ago, Lici said:

I could’ve written this post. On Soups and broths I was good with one ounce but when it comes to the chicken (boars head everroast shaved) I can only do about 0.8 ounces. Still not making it to the 64 ounces of Water but getting closer. Glad to hear you are doing well.

Hey, good to hear from you! You too! Let's commit to making this a Water day!!

Hi Gang. Checking in on 3 weeks post op. 15 pounds down! I'll take it. Had a scare on Sunday with sudden stomach pain after trying 1.5 oz fish. It got so bad I dry heaved for nearly 2 hours. Almost went to the ER. Violent heaving and pain. I felt like my new separated stomach was trying to come up. Then it just stopped. Never threw much up besides a little Water. Slept the rest of the evening. Decided I'm going back to my previous food stage which is a handful of soft foods; eggs, cottage cheese, Beans, broth at least for a few more days. Felt mildly nauseous but nothing serious pain-wise or heaving. I am REALLY hoping it was a one-time thing and my body just wasn't ready for meat. My program does seem to move faster than others. Otherwise things are fine. I've increased my evening walk to 30 minutes. No more incision or stitch pain. Still going a little covid-crazy with no projects on the horizen. My whole day is spent (besides caring for kiddo) counting Protein and water. Still need to do my taxes! Ha! How's everyone else feeling? ONWARD!

Hello. I had my gbs on May 27th! I have lost a total of 40# since 2 weeks presurgery. I have had no complications, other than eating too fast! Overall I am happy of this life changing decision!

59 minutes ago, Lizeth-renewed said:

Hello. I had my gbs on May 27th! I have lost a total of 40# since 2 weeks presurgery. I have had no complications, other than eating too fast! Overall I am happy of this life changing decision!

This is so great to hear! Hopefully this will be all of us very soon. 40 pounds in 6 weeks?! AMAZING!!

Hello guys I am back home and post surgery! I had my a lap band revision to gastric bypass on June 29. No visitors allowed but at least my surgery did not get cancelled. The first night was a drugged haze. I don’t remember much. The second day was awful. I could not take any pills or keep any Water down. I kept throwing up or dry heaving. So, the doc kept me in the hospital a second night. The third day was good very little throwing up and i was really able to walk around the hospital floor a lot. I even did some work on the computer in the lounge which was awesome. The pain was pretty bad the first day post surgery. But by second day it was very mild. Today is my third post surgery and I feel no pain just a little discomfort when I bend down, twist or cough. Once home yesterday I started having some sore throat and coughing I remember feeling that in other surgeries so I think it is just from the anesthesia but if it does not improve I’ll contact my doctor. My only issue now is managing my type 1 diabetes. I have an insulin pump and all of my doses need to change and now I am having a few lows. But I keep my glucose tablets near and take one when I get below 70. I still have not had a bowel movement but I am hoping today will be the day.

3 hours ago, Round2newme said:

Hello guys I am back home and post surgery! I had my a lap band revision to gastric bypass on June 29. No visitors allowed but at least my surgery did not get cancelled. The first night was a drugged haze. I don’t remember much. The second day was awful. I could not take any pills or keep any Water down. I kept throwing up or dry heaving. So, the doc kept me in the hospital a second night. The third day was good very little throwing up and i was really able to walk around the hospital floor a lot. I even did some work on the computer in the lounge which was awesome. The pain was pretty bad the first day post surgery. But by second day it was very mild. Today is my third post surgery and I feel no pain just a little discomfort when I bend down, twist or cough. Once home yesterday I started having some sore throat and coughing I remember feeling that in other surgeries so I think it is just from the anesthesia but if it does not improve I’ll contact my doctor. My only issue now is managing my type 1 diabetes. I have an insulin pump and all of my doses need to change and now I am having a few lows. But I keep my glucose tablets near and take one when I get below 70. I still have not had a bowel movement but I am hoping today will be the day.

Congrats on joining us on the other side! So SO sorry to hear about the nausea and dry-heaving. I remember it , and my extra night in the hospital for it, too well. Glad it subsided. Here's to a smooth recovery and that cough just being the intubation tube irritation. Make sure you're doing deep breathing exercises several times a day. Hoping the insulin adjustments are a good thing! And I know lots of people who don't poop til close to a week. You might start some colase. I find that to be the mildest "helper". Keep us updated and Happy Healing!

Update for me:

I’m 14 days post op and finally graduated to full liquid. That means yogurts, pudding, blended Soups, and shakes I can make myself. 7 more days and then mushies. The most exciting thing, however, was I just took my last shot. 2 weeks of shots 2x a day in the stomach was awful. I haven’t weighed myself. I know I’ve lost some, but I won’t weigh myself until my 1st post op next week. Trying not to obsess over #s which I know I will do.

The last 2 weeks have been very hard. Finally started to be more regular, getting some strength up; and being able to eat a few more things is pretty awesome. My program seems to be one of the very strict ones, which I’m told is because the surgeon makes things smaller and tighter than others (I guess). And he uses what seems like a ton of preventative meds. On the good side - I’ve had very little pain. Constipation was OMG for the 1st week - like epically awful, but I’ve had no trouble drinking Water, getting my 64+ oz in plus 75g Protein so I’m thankful for that. I’ve started to get more burpy in the last few days - hoping that subsided at some point. But overall, I’m in so much better Spirits today then I was even a few days ago. For anyone else struggling; it gets better :) 7 more days until the next progress point :)

Edited by 613cnn

29 minutes ago, 613cnn said:

Update for me:

I’m 14 days post op and finally graduated to full liquid. That means yogurts, pudding, blended Soups, and shakes I can make myself. 7 more days and then mushies. The most exciting thing, however, was I just took my last shot. 2 weeks of shots 2x a day in the stomach was awful. I haven’t weighed myself. I know I’ve lost some, but I won’t weigh myself until my 1st post op next week. Trying not to obsess over #s which I know I will do.

The last 2 weeks have been very hard. Finally started to be more regular, getting some strength up; and being able to eat a few more things is pretty awesome. My program seems to be one of the very strict ones, which I’m told is because the surgeon makes things smaller and tighter than others (I guess). And he uses what seems like a ton of preventative meds. On the good side - I’ve had very little pain. constipation was OMG for the 1st week - like epically awful, but I’ve had no trouble drinking Water, getting my 64+ oz in plus 75g Protein so I’m thankful for that. I’ve started to get more burpy in the last few days - hoping that subsided at some point. But overall, I’m in so much better Spirits today then I was even a few days ago. For anyone else struggling; it gets better :) 7 more days until the next progress point :)

Yay!! I'm so happy to hear from you! YOU MADE IT TWO WEEKS! It gets progressively better from here on out. Particularly with the new foods. And WOW on a couple things there... like not weighing yourself. THAT takes willpower. And getting 64oz of Water in and 75 Protein? !!? The protein i've managed with the shakes but the water has been such a struggle. I'm SO impressed. It's inspiring. I kept thinking "people aren't reallY getting 64 every day are they?" Well, 613cnn is! I'm getting around 48 a day and it's a battle. I'm gonna keep fighting. Can't wait to hear about your first weigh-in. What day is your follow up? ONWARD!