Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mild sleep apnea [emoji19]

Hey y'all, got my sleep test results back...mild sleep apnea. And I mean like the range is 5-15 and I scored a 5.5....has anyone else dealt with such a low level apnea? I don't feel the apparent effects of it but now apparently I have to get and use a cpap machine.

I am going to talk to my pcp and call the bariatric surgery department, there is no part of me that wants to pay money for a contraption that looks horribly uncomfortable...anyone have any thoughts or use a cpap for such mild apnea that has seen life changing changes for the better?

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey y'all, got my sleep test results back...mild sleep apnea. And I mean like the range is 5-15 and I scored a 5.5....has anyone else dealt with such a low level apnea? I don't feel the apparent effects of it but now apparently I have to get and use a cpap machine.
I am going to talk to my pcp and call the bariatric surgery department, there is no part of me that wants to pay money for a contraption that looks horribly uncomfortable...anyone have any thoughts or use a cpap for such mild apnea that has seen life changing changes for the better?
Thanks guys!

The best thing that I never knew I needed...until i tested and was labeled severe...with ZERO snoring. Insurance paid for mine. Not uncomfortable now...like anything it takes getting adjusted to.

It's MY time!

I was also a mild case - like you. In fact, I think I was also a 5.5. It was pretty borderline. The sleep physician said I should get a CPAP machine, but when I brought it up with the PA at my bariatric clinic, he said he wasn't sure if it would be worth it, since the sleep apnea would probably disappear after I lost the first 20 or 30 lbs, so I skipped it. I don't know if you have that option or not. But I felt the same way - I didn't want to fork over a lot of money for something I was going to use for maybe a month or two tops.

If you have sleep apnea, it could contribute to your non-successful weight loss attempts. If you use a CPAP as prescribed, you will likely be more likely to reach your goals. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea just over a year ago, although mine is more towards the severe end. The new machines are more compact and much quieter. There are many different style's of masks. I though I would never adjust to a CPAP, but it really didn't take very long. I did force myself to be compliant in the first couple months. Now, just over a year later, I have had my surgery, I have lost ALL my excess weight. And I sleep MUCH better. And more than that? My health problems have almost completely resolved. Including my heart that had been enlarging. If the doc wants you to use a CPAP, do yourself a favor and give it an honest try. Your body will thank you.

By the way, the way insurance works usually for CPAP... you initially "rent" it and then after so much time (6 months or a year) you own it. Insurance paid for most of mine, I did have an $11/month co-pay. So if your sleep apnea DOES go away quickly after surgery, you may not have "bought" the machine yet.

Im told moderate w ahi 14.4. I snore so ill prob give it a go. I think it depends on whether you feel tired or unrested during the day or other health effects like enlarged heart. You are best talking to your priv doc to see he knows all your issues

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I was upset earlier and just really disappointed in myself and looking for ways around it. But your replies coupled with my 2nd weigh in visit with my pcp (I lost 10lbs and she was super proud of me!) I have let rational Amanda take over and will pursue it.

I reached out to an online retailer that can also use insurance benefits and I will also look at local equipment stores(the 2 in my town have 2 stars or below from reviews so I am going to look at ones in the city I work).

Appreciate all the input once again guys, this forum is such an incredible community!!20200528_125552.jpg

10 hours ago, ajb1029 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I was upset earlier and just really disappointed in myself and looking for ways around it. But your replies coupled with my 2nd weigh in visit with my pcp (I lost 10lbs and she was super proud of me!) I have let rational Amanda take over and will pursue it.

I reached out to an online retailer that can also use insurance benefits and I will also look at local equipment stores(the 2 in my town have 2 stars or below from reviews so I am going to look at ones in the city I work).

Appreciate all the input once again guys, this forum is such an incredible community!!20200528_125552.jpg

I use apria healthcare and apria direct online. My doctor sent the prescription to apria and they prepared my machine and it's settings and mailed it to me. There was a video included on how to set it up (very easy). I personally have them mail me replacement masks/tubings/filters on a set schedule, and insurance covers most of the cost for me. If I need anything extra, I order from apria direct, Amazon, or another cpap company. Depends on cost! If you find yourself struggling with a mask, work with your respiratory therapist (I only see mine briefly at sleep doctor appointments) to find one that works better for you. I have a nasal mask. Covers the nose completely, but not your mouth. I find it less restricted, although initially you have to get used to not breathing through your mouth at all with it on. Talking is possible, but I prefer to take it off to talk. They also have nasal pads style mask that goes UNDER your nose. I liked it, but I chose to also buy a travel cpap and those aren't compatible with that machine. I also elected to purchase (not covered by insurance) the "SoClean" cpap cleaner machine. I find it very easy and convenient. It is important to keep your mask and tubing clean. You can use soap and Water and/or cpap cleaning wipes. Sometimes you can even use a dishwasher... but I prefer to use the soclean most often. Last thing I will add, I am on a very low pressure setting despite my mild to severe (depends on sleep stage) sleep apnea. It really isn't that bad. After a few weeks I had to lift my mask to make sure it is running. But again, if you struggle, talk to your sleep doctor or respiratory therapist! And yes, some people's sleep apnea does go away when they lose weight. They had hoped mine would, but I still have it and I have lost ALL of my excess weight. I don't see that doc again though until December, so maybe it will still happen. Anyhow... some tips just in case they may be helpful to you. Good luck!

I could never tolerate the device. I have had two, a CPAP and a Bi-pap. I'm hoping that after I drop 50 pounds or so, I won't need a sleep apnea machine. We'll see.

I have been on CPAP/BiPAP for 25 years. It is not uncomfortable. The modern masks are so much better. The mask is most important. If it isn't comfortable, you will hate it. I believe CPAP saved my life. But my OSA is very severe with AHI of 74. One of my sisters died suddenly at age 50. The only thing coroner could find was enlarged left ventricle likely from OSA. This enlargement likely caused a heart lethal arrhythmia.

AHI of 5.5 is barely diagnostic. It could likely be worse on a second test or better. Did you have any REM sleep during study? REM sleep is when apnea is worse. If you didn't have any REM sleep, your AHI is probably higher than 5.5. Sleep studies monitor a single night's sleep which is likely not typical for you at all. AHI is like blood pressure. It varies alot depending on circumstances. And trying to sleep "normally" in strange bed with all those wires attached could have prevented much meaningful sleep.

Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app