Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 months check in - in maintenance - feeling amazing

32 minutes ago, Superman84 said:

Well to be frank there hasn't been alot of exercises

that's awesome. I feel like I have had to work for every pound. I excercise 3-5 times a week and my weight loss is pretty slow, averaging 6-8 lbs a month

Just now, PlanetHopper said:

that's awesome. I feel like I have had to work for every pound. I excercise 3-5 times a week and my weight loss is pretty slow, averaging 6-8 lbs a month

I'm really not sure what my surgeon did differently with my bypass but the weight has come off pretty quick and easy but I did restrict my calories for months was very strict on myself...

9 hours ago, Superman84 said:

I'm really not sure what my surgeon did differently with my bypass

I had the sleeve so that's probably the first difference. Another difference is that people with "lower" BMI's compared to those with higher BMI's on surgery day lose their weight slower. I have also heard from research that the effectiveness of the surgery is related to genetics.

Edit: I now wish I had the bypass :(

Edited by PlanetHopper
more to say

9 hours ago, PlanetHopper said:

At your current weight that is not slow at all, it does us no favours to be comparing ourselves to others, Celebrate your losses you are doing great.

4 minutes ago, PlanetHopper said:

I had the sleeve so that's probably the first difference. Another difference is that people with "lower" BMI's compared to those with higher BMI's on surgery day lose their weight slower. I have also heard from research that the effectiveness of the surgery is related to genetics.

Edit: I now wish I had the bypass :(

Why? You are doing great, you are nearly at a healthy BMI (though body fat percentage is probably a better indicator of health), seems to me you are doing great.

58 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

it does us no favours to be comparing ourselves to others

That is true. I really need to work on that.

56 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Why? You are doing great, you are nearly at a healthy BMI (though body fat percentage is probably a better indicator of health), seems to me you are doing great.

You are right. I didn't realize how low my BMI is. How can I measure body fat percentage?

14 minutes ago, PlanetHopper said:

That is true. I really need to work on that.

You are right. I didn't realize how low my BMI is. How can I measure body fat percentage?

There are some at home scales that have body fat analysers and they will give you a rough estimate as hydration levels or lack of hydration as well as time of time of use and other factors can cause a large variance to the actual %.

https://www.choice.com.au/health-and-body/diet-and-fitness/weight-loss/buying-guides/body-fat-scales

DEXA scan would be an accurate measure however they can be expensive and you would need to go to a clinic.

Some personal trainers can use calypers and body measurements but again probably not accurate as the results will vary on their technique, sites chosen and experience.

2 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

There are some at home scales that have body fat analysers

Oh, that is cool. Do you own one? If so, would you recommend it and which one is it?

6 minutes ago, PlanetHopper said:

Oh, that is cool. Do you own one? If so, would you recommend it and which one is it?

I don't have one but may get one as I get closer to goal weight, but I had a dexa scan before my initial weight loss procedure and wouldn't mind getting another one in a few months as a comparison.

In Australia there are a fex dexa scan clinics and we can get a dexa scan a little cheaper with a referral from a doctor. Unfortunately in my state can only have a dexa scan for bone density so I will wait until I am out of state for holidays and get the comparison one done then.

That's my new scales RENPHO Bluetooth from Amazon :)

Screenshot_20200530_070135.jpg

On 6/7/2020 at 1:51 AM, Superman84 said:

That's my new scales RENPHO Bluetooth from Amazon :)

Okay! Thank you, I will check this out.

On 6/6/2020 at 10:23 PM, Hop_Scotch said:

I had a dexa scan before my initial weight loss procedure

That is very cool. I did not have that done. I am in the United States and had my surgery in the United States. It would be really cool to compare your before and after!

On 6/6/2020 at 10:23 PM, Hop_Scotch said:

I don't have one but may get one as I get closer to goal weight, but I had a dexa scan before my initial weight loss procedure and wouldn't mind getting another one in a few months as a comparison.

I had a DEXA last week, not the bone one, the fat/muscle one. $100, no Dr. order needed. It is SO scientific gobbly di **** measurements with little language for common woman.🧐 I can’t make heads nor tails of it but guess I’m glad to have done it to compare with doing it again, final outcome. Could you understand yours, Hop_Scotch? I have bachelor and master’s degrees but not in a science area.😟 Had hoped it would be more layman friendly.

Way to Go!

39 minutes ago, Lily66 said:

I had a DEXA last week, not the bone one, the fat/muscle one. $100, no Dr. order needed. It is SO scientific gobbly di **** measurements with little language for common woman.🧐 I can’t make heads nor tails of it but guess I’m glad to have done it to compare with doing it again, final outcome. Could you understand yours, Hop_Scotch? I have bachelor and master’s degrees but not in a science area.😟 Had hoped it would be more layman friendly.

There was a lot of blurb in it, but the one thing that was easy to understand was the body fat percentage (it was very high) and the lean body mass. It was interesting to see where the fat actually was in the body in pic/scan provided.

I assume the report included body fat and lean body mass percentages?