Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 minute ago, KokoA said:

Hi everyone,
I am 40 days post op. I have lost 21 lbs since surgery. I am at the soft food stage but and I start regular diet on Wednesday. I have hard time eating food and it causes so much pressure in my chest. Is this sign of dumping?

dumping usually involves heart palpitations, sweating, weakness, severe diarrhea, and sometimes nausea and vomiting - so if you have any/all of those symptoms, then yes, maybe....

3 minutes ago, KokoA said:

Hi everyone,
I am 40 days post op. I have lost 21 lbs since surgery. I am at the soft food stage but and I start regular diet on Wednesday. I have hard time eating food and it causes so much pressure in my chest. Is this sign of dumping?

no, you will know when you dump! its dizzy, nauseous, hot flashes, diarrhea, and all you'll want to do is desperately down and close your eyes. at 40 days you may not be able to do soft foods yet...everyone is a little differnt. all.uou can do is try things and if it won't go down...throw it up and thats a NO. That pressure is normal but it shouldn't be intense. if its bad than what you ate was to big or too firm or too dry. and sometimes you ate too fast. when doing foods really stick to about a full 1.5 minutes to chew, swallow, let it pass, then take another bite. if you swallow and then take another bite and swallow right after you will get that instant pressure

12 hours ago, Amanda0911 said:

Coming up to 1 month post op and I just have to say this has been such a great journey so far. I've lost about 25lbs and have hit my first stall. I'm staying off the scale for a few weeks and hope it'll pass soon . I have tolerated everything I've eaten so far which has been great. I hope everyone is doing well!

Sent from my SM-G981U using BariatricPal mobile app

hey me too! my surger was july 20 and I'm at about 26lbs from surgery date. this last week i only lost .2lbs but i know thats normal. we have come so far already!!! great job!

Congrats... I have the same problem... I spoke to my surgeon yesterday and he said that I have to chew chew chew.... so that is very important because those clumps can cause a lot of discomfort... I hope this helps.. I ate a salad yesterday and it with down perfectly because I concentrate on chewing..

Good morning! I am 3.5 weeks post op for a gastric sleeve and have lost 23lbs. I have had a stall now for 8 days:( I am following the program and getting enough Protein and Water. I'm getting reall frustrated and wondering if I should have had the Gastric Bypass Instead. What's weird is my clothes keep feeling looser, but I can't get to onederland!!!

PREOP 223lbs CW 200lbs.

2 hours ago, Gigi_2000 said:

Good morning! I am 3.5 weeks post op for a gastric sleeve and have lost 23lbs. I have had a stall now for 8 days:( I am following the program and getting enough Protein and Water. I'm getting reall frustrated and wondering if I should have had the Gastric Bypass Instead. What's weird is my clothes keep feeling looser, but I can't get to onederland!!!

PREOP 223lbs CW 200lbs.

do I search on this site for the "three week stall". There are 17,501 posts on here about that early stall (usually the third week). And no...I am NOT kidding. 17,501 posts. We get that question at least twice a week. Almost EVERYONE has that early stall.

Today is 6 weeks post-op. I'm down 4lbs from last week, which felt good since it felt like I might have been starting a stall. Still on my doctor's fairly restrictive diet. So far for normal foods I've only done scrambled eggs and pureed chicken salad with hummus and greek yogurt instead of mayo. Both went down with no problem. This will be the second week of me mixing in regular food twice in the week. Next week I'll go to three times a week, barring any issues. Exercise has continued to be a chore due to the heat, but things are cooling down this week, so looking to increase my activity some more.

Yesterday was very difficult for me. I ended up receiving some really lousy news that completely devastated me mentally and emotionally. My usual routine would have been to indulge in some comfort food. Except that isn't possible now. Which is definitely for the best, but it really didn't help my mood or mental state any. Still feeling upset today and just trying to get through it.

Good morning, everyone! I am at 2.5 weeks, down 22 pounds and I am wondering if I have hit a stall as well! But I'm averaging a pound a day, (since surgery) even though my weight has stayed relatively flat for three days. I did have "dumping" on Saturday, so lost a lot on Sunday, so this is probably catch up!!

Yesterday, I ate some white bean chicken chili (yummo) leftovers for lunch and I was severely uncomfortable all afternoon. My bad, though! I didn't weigh because I was in a hurry to pack my lunch, I KNEW I should have stopped before I finished the portion I gave myself, and today, having weighed out 3 oz of it, realize I probably ate 5-6 ozs yesterday for lunch! My nutritionist says everything is puree, as long as you chew, chew, chew...so I just focus on chewing as much as possible before swallowing (YMMV). I have really had no issues with any food...except eggs! Which I was really looking forward to during the liquid stage! Oh well. I will try again later!

Have a great day, everyone!!

2 hours ago, Gigi_2000 said:

PREOP 223lbs CW 200lbs.

that stall is totally normal. it actually will happen pretty frequently. sometimes its just a week...sometimes 2 weeks. sometimes its just 3 or 4 days...im 8 weeks out and I lose about half a pound a day..but it can stall for 3 or 4 days and then all the sudden 3 pounds overnight. lol remember our bodies are living breathing organism and needs time to ensure we can survive on what we give it...its our bodies job to keep us alive! so be thankful your body cares enough to stop and look at this trauma we did to it and it proceeds with caution somwtimes! one thing i did find after 6 weeks out was that if I take in too few calories for a day it will stall me for a couole days. i tend to be around 600 caloroes of mixed Protein carbs and fat...i have days where I don't feel like eating and my caloroes drop to like 450...and that will stall me. if i immediately next day eat 600 to 700 ill drop a couole pounds. I also notice that my body does not like Keto no carb. my weight loss was really unpredictable until I agreed to eat around 50g carbs a day and now my losses are more stable. So don't be afraid of carbs- good carbs! and play with the amounts to find what yiur body likes. just dont go extreme low calorie thinking that will make u lose weight because the opposite is true!

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 12:05 PM, catwoman7 said:

do I search on this site for the "three week stall". There are 17,501 posts on here about that early stall (usually the third week). And no...I am NOT kidding. 17,501 posts. We get that question at least twice a week. Almost EVERYONE has that early stall.

Thank you! I had no idea.

8 minutes ago, Gigi_2000 said:

Thank you! I had no idea.

I think bariatric clinics should let pre-op patients know about this (some do - but it doesn't seem like most). Almost everyone goes through this early stall, and people really freak out about it when it happens because they weren't told about it. If the clinics would let people know about it, it would save a lot of their patients from panicking or thinking they failed the surgery within the first month!

I was told by the nutrition, dumping consist of sweating, pressure on chest, not feeling good at all. And to avoid the void that causes this. Was told to chew the food very well cause the pouch is very small. Good luck.

Hello all! Three weeks today! Wow! And still learning NOT to take one more bite (no matter how good) when my tummy says I'm full. My lunch was good...tuna wrapped in a parmesan cheese wrap,..but about 4 1/2 ozs and I tried to eat it all. Not "dumping" (at least not yet) but uncomfortably full! I just have to start listening to my belly!! LOL!

Hi all! First post here –

I'm just about a month out from my VSG (July 22), and things have been going pretty well. I had surgery on a Wednesday, was itching to leave first thing Thursday, worked a mostly-full day (desk job) on Friday, and haven't taken any pain meds since that Saturday.

The last of my lingering incision pain has faded this week, though it can still be mildly uncomfortable when sleeping on my side or stretching. I've been getting a two-mile walk in first thing each morning, and I probably get a couple more miles in on weekend days, but pandemic life pretty much has me limited to that during the week. I'm thinking about getting an under-desk treadmill to keep things going, but there seems to be a toilet-paper-in-March-style shortage of them right now.

food has been going reasonably well. I'm on soft foods, though I pretty much stick to Protein Shakes during the day so I can basically just hole myself in our attic for the work day. Dinners have been good – we were a Blue Apron family before the surgery, and now I can start to have small portions of my wife's BA meal for dinner. I definitely feel it when I exceed my portion size, and avoid sitting when that happens (I kinda just pace around for 5-10 minutes before it subsides), but I'm getting better at judging those things.

Like seemingly everyone else, I'm having a bit of a weight loss stall – I was pretty quick to drop 20, and now have been meandering very slowly, but still approximately downward. My normal clothes are now all very clearly too big (even on zoom), so I'm digging back through the old wardrobe, which is nice. I'm down to the last hole on my belt (has six holes, usually wear it at the second hole), so that'll be my first real wardrobe crisis.

Long way to go, and I'm glad I did it during this crazy time. I'm a private person, so I'm glad there are few people who would notice and ask about it, so by the time everything gets back to normal (months and months from now), I'll be at a point where I'll know how to eat and drink and socialize normally – or, at least, I hope so!

5 minutes ago, MisterJack said:

Hi all! First post here –

I'm just about a month out from my VSG (July 22), and things have been going pretty well. I had surgery on a Wednesday, was itching to leave first thing Thursday, worked a mostly-full day (desk job) on Friday, and haven't taken any pain meds since that Saturday.

The last of my lingering incision pain has faded this week, though it can still be mildly uncomfortable when sleeping on my side or stretching. I've been getting a two-mile walk in first thing each morning, and I probably get a couple more miles in on weekend days, but pandemic life pretty much has me limited to that during the week. I'm thinking about getting an under-desk treadmill to keep things going, but there seems to be a toilet-paper-in-March-style shortage of them right now.

food has been going reasonably well. I'm on soft foods, though I pretty much stick to Protein Shakes during the day so I can basically just hole myself in our attic for the work day. Dinners have been good – we were a Blue Apron family before the surgery, and now I can start to have small portions of my wife's BA meal for dinner. I definitely feel it when I exceed my portion size, and avoid sitting when that happens (I kinda just pace around for 5-10 minutes before it subsides), but I'm getting better at judging those things.

Like seemingly everyone else, I'm having a bit of a weight loss stall – I was pretty quick to drop 20, and now have been meandering very slowly, but still approximately downward. My normal clothes are now all very clearly too big (even on zoom), so I'm digging back through the old wardrobe, which is nice. I'm down to the last hole on my belt (has six holes, usually wear it at the second hole), so that'll be my first real wardrobe crisis.

Long way to go, and I'm glad I did it during this crazy time. I'm a private person, so I'm glad there are few people who would notice and ask about it, so by the time everything gets back to normal (months and months from now), I'll be at a point where I'll know how to eat and drink and socialize normally – or, at least, I hope so!

Welcome! Looks like you're doing great. I agree about this crazy time actually turning out to be a good time to get WLS. I feel guilty for saying it because I know this pandemic has caused a lot of pain and suffering for many people, but has made things easier for WLS. I haven't told anyone at work and I don't plan to, and it sure helps in terms of privacy that my team is working from home most of the time and even when we're in the office, we're not allowed to eat together.