Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNY on July 6. My incisions are just itchy and tight feeling, but other than that, no significant pain. My only real pain at this time is when I put something in my new tummy that is doesn’t like. It cramps horribly until I can throw it all up, which sometimes takes hours 😢 So far, the new tummy does not like tuna or salmon or those soft white seeds in watermelon. All have been rejected by the tummy and the fishes both took around 6 hours of misery to get out of the tummy. I have not been brave enough to try any other meats. Tummy likes eggs, dairy, tofu, Beans, so I guess that sums up my food choices at this point. Hope everyone is progressing well post-op and pre-op alike.

I had a VSG on Monday July 13th. I wound up having a ridiculous amount of nausea from the anesthesia and spent some extra days in the hospital. The pain is manageable and still getting some rumbling stomach feelings every so often but I've been religious about drinking fluids. I'm happy overall and excited for the future. I have noticed my sense of smell feels stronger and my taste buds are a bit off from before.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:05 AM, Mafer said:

I am waiting to be call inside for my surgery

how are you

On 7/16/2020 at 11:05 AM, Mafer said:

I am waiting to be call inside for my surgery

On 7/16/2020 at 12:15 PM, Pandemonium said:

Today is day 9 since surgery and I have been struggling hard mentally and emotionally pretty much all week. It all kind of crashed down directly after my post-op appointment on Monday. Part of the program was getting the "bible" as part of the education process. The "bible" is the program's bariatric handbook that details out every single step in the days leading up the surgery, the day of surgery, and the weeks following. It's a road map for how things will go.

My doctor...is the medical director for the program. And on Monday, he pretty much told me that he doesn't usually follow the handbook and that I should not pay attention to it. So, while right now I am still on a liquid phase (clear fluids and 3 Protein Shakes a day), I was anticipating the follow up at week 3 to progress to pureed foods as tolerated (protein shakes are never going to really go away).

Instead, my doctor wants me to stay on liquids for 8 weeks. And while I understand his rationale for it as it will continue to provide an accelerated weight loss for a much longer period of time, it completely shattered me because right now the only thing I do with my time every day...is consume fluids. I am only allowed to drink 1 ounce of fluids every fifteen minutes. I am supposed to spread that ounce over the course of 15 minutes. Literally every waking moment is me sipping from a little 1 ounce medicine cup. The thought of doing this for 7 more weeks? I spent pretty much all day Monday and Tuesday crying because I just don't see how this can be sustainable. I'm getting 52-56 ounces of Fluid in me every day at this point, but I am also waking up pretty much around 3am with my mouth completely dry, so it feels like I am barely managing to keep hydrated.

And my doctor did say that at any point if I decide that I want to start integrating appropriate food into my diet, that I just have to let him know and he will work with me and adjust my diet. I just hate that he's putting that burden on my shoulders because it feels to me that when I make that decision, I am tapping out on accelerated weight loss and admitting defeat.

I forced myself to go back to work onsite yesterday for a few hours just to get myself out of the house. It helped my mood and mindset some, but I came home really wiped out, so it may have been pushing things a bit much (on top of what is probably too aggressive an exercise plan so soon after surgery).

Today I'm feeling a little bit better mentally and emotionally, but still pretty ragged. I'm tired of drinking these tiny little sips from these tiny little cups, but there's not really anything I can do about it. The best I can hope for is get through another week and a half and then ask if I can do 1 ounce of Fluid every 8-10 minutes.

My goodness that sounds rough! Is there anyone on his team you can talk to ?

On 7/16/2020 at 6:07 PM, MaybeMeow said:

Complain away. Those complaints are legitimate! You should have fast attentive service and a spirometer! I hope that was just a busy hour and you are being well cared for now.

First Nurses don't serve. Yes I am a nurse. I understand how your feeling but not knowing what's going on outside of those doors. Let me help. The incentive spirometer is exactly that...ALL it is, is to give you incentive to take deep breaths to prevent pneumonia. It can be done without it. I am sorry the nurse did not come back. the ratio of nurse to patient is ridiculous ! But again I am sorry you had that experience. How are you today?

good news! I did my urine culture and urinalysis, all cleared!!!! I went to an urgent care clinic. I couldn't resist. I will be back to my PCP's office on Tuesday. Covid test tomorrow at 7am.

Good luck and speedy recovery to everyone that is having surgery this week..

For those that are now on the post-op side, any advice or things you wish you had known going in?

Sent from my SM-F700U using BariatricPal mobile app

If you have a weak bladder start training now. Mine was week and it was a big issue for me. Also prepare for horrible medicine, everything need to be crunch.

1 hour ago, Mafer said:

Don’t buy Too many Vitamins before surgery in case you don’t like them or anything really - Protein Drinks etc. good luck!

1 hour ago, Mafer said:

If you have a weak bladder start training now. Mine was week and it was a big issue for me. Also prepare for horrible medicine, everything need to be crunch.

3 hours ago, MotivatedMomma said:

Good luck and speedy recovery to everyone that is having surgery this week..

For those that are now on the post-op side, any advice or things you wish you had known going in?

Sent from my SM-F700U using BariatricPal mobile app

Bring your bariatric program manual with you to the hospital. I read through mine numerous times before the surgery, but when I woke up from the surgery, i was exhausted and in pain and not in a good state of mind to remember everything.

Also, this may not be true for everyone, but I had my surgery in a big hospital with a small bariatric program. I think there were only 4 bariatric surgeries the same day as mine. There is only one bariatric nurse and I only saw her once before I was discharged. The other nurses who took care of me have patients from many different types of surgery. They do not specialize in bariatric patients, so they don’t necessarily remember all the details of recovery from bariatric surgery off the tops of their heads. So it is a really good idea to have those instructions from your program and make sure you’re doing what you need to do.

Don’t be in too much of a rush to get out of the hospital. I am having so much trouble drinking enough fluids. At least when I was still in the hospital, I had an IV continuously pumping fluids into me. It is scary not to have that safety net anymore.

18 minutes ago, ChicagoEsti said:

I was just sleeved 07/16/2020 originally scheduled for 05/21/2020. So far it’s sore and a chore to stay on top of my liquids

wishing you a speedy recovery!

On 7/18/2020 at 3:58 PM, LunaSea679 said:

I had a VSG on Monday July 13th. I wound up having a ridiculous amount of nausea from the anesthesia and spent some extra days in the hospital. The pain is manageable and still getting some rumbling stomach feelings every so often but I've been religious about drinking fluids. I'm happy overall and excited for the future. I have noticed my sense of smell feels stronger and my taste buds are a bit off from before.

Do you get any type of pain/pressure after drinking? I do no matter how slow I sip! And God forbid it not be room temperature 😩

Just had my surgery July 16th feeling tons of gas pain but it gets better everyday. Excited for everyone to start their journeys!

4 minutes ago, Koralitoo said:

Just had my surgery July 16th feeling tons of gas pain but it gets better everyday. Excited for everyone to start their journeys!

welcome hun! hope you are well :)