Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 hour ago, Catlove23 said:

Lol... I felt the same way... I went to drink my Water and it hurts going down... I’m like this **** feel funny... I straight forgot I got this sleeve... it’s like give me a break.. I even named my sleeve.. (New move)

would temperature of the Water help?

1 hour ago, INEEDABUDDY said:

would temperature of the Water help?

I do room temperature... goes down easier for my “new move” my tummy

Well surgery was yesterday now. Gas pain manageable. My nervousness has turn to excitement for the future. Time to put me first. Keep smiling everyone, you are worth the effort.

7 hours ago, Michael2428 said:

Well surgery was yesterday now. Gas pain manageable. My nervousness has turn to excitement for the future. Time to put me first. Keep smiling everyone, you are worth the effort.

Good for you!

1 hour ago, Catlove23 said:

Walked around my block this morning felt so good to be out this house... take one step at a time y’all 2 weeks out....best decision I have ever made!!!!!!

you go !!

Today is day 9 since surgery and I have been struggling hard mentally and emotionally pretty much all week. It all kind of crashed down directly after my post-op appointment on Monday. Part of the program was getting the "bible" as part of the education process. The "bible" is the program's bariatric handbook that details out every single step in the days leading up the surgery, the day of surgery, and the weeks following. It's a road map for how things will go.

My doctor...is the medical director for the program. And on Monday, he pretty much told me that he doesn't usually follow the handbook and that I should not pay attention to it. So, while right now I am still on a liquid phase (clear fluids and 3 Protein Shakes a day), I was anticipating the follow up at week 3 to progress to pureed foods as tolerated (protein shakes are never going to really go away).

Instead, my doctor wants me to stay on liquids for 8 weeks. And while I understand his rationale for it as it will continue to provide an accelerated weight loss for a much longer period of time, it completely shattered me because right now the only thing I do with my time every day...is consume fluids. I am only allowed to drink 1 ounce of fluids every fifteen minutes. I am supposed to spread that ounce over the course of 15 minutes. Literally every waking moment is me sipping from a little 1 ounce medicine cup. The thought of doing this for 7 more weeks? I spent pretty much all day Monday and Tuesday crying because I just don't see how this can be sustainable. I'm getting 52-56 ounces of Fluid in me every day at this point, but I am also waking up pretty much around 3am with my mouth completely dry, so it feels like I am barely managing to keep hydrated.

And my doctor did say that at any point if I decide that I want to start integrating appropriate food into my diet, that I just have to let him know and he will work with me and adjust my diet. I just hate that he's putting that burden on my shoulders because it feels to me that when I make that decision, I am tapping out on accelerated weight loss and admitting defeat.

I forced myself to go back to work onsite yesterday for a few hours just to get myself out of the house. It helped my mood and mindset some, but I came home really wiped out, so it may have been pushing things a bit much (on top of what is probably too aggressive an exercise plan so soon after surgery).

Today I'm feeling a little bit better mentally and emotionally, but still pretty ragged. I'm tired of drinking these tiny little sips from these tiny little cups, but there's not really anything I can do about it. The best I can hope for is get through another week and a half and then ask if I can do 1 ounce of fluid every 8-10 minutes.

9 hours ago, Michael2428 said:

9 hours ago, Michael2428 said:

Hello, I had surgery (sleeve) yesterday as well. I have had no pain and no problem getting liquids down (except probably drinking too much not in correct time measurements). I had my heart set on being discharged today but still waiting to hear. My hemoglobin is a little low. Sigh 😕 How are you doing now? Still the same? Maybe we can be surgery buddies? Lol

On 07/15/2020 at 21:57, Jo..di said:

I regret getting my sleeve.... I need to find out how to stretch it back out. I feel like dying

I’m sorry to hear that! Try to be patient. I felt the same way last week when I was sleeved. I am 9 days post op. Yesterday and today are much better. Just give it time. Warm fluids worked better for me. Chamomile tea worked magic with the bloating and gas. Walking after Fluid intake helped as well. Be careful not to stretch out your stomach it can make other things worse

Had my surgery today... this is rough. I’m miserable and in a lot of pain. I’m used to being independent, so I hate feeling so helpless. I’m also really disappointed in the nurses here. They were all over me before the surgery, asking questions, setting up monitors, checking vitals. But now that I’m recovering, I feel like they forgot about me! (Different nurses, of course.).

My main nurse came in and introduced herself, poured some little cups of Water, and disappeared. I had told her I wanted to get up and walk around, and she said she needed to walk with me the first time to make sure I could do it ok, but she never came back. I had to ask 3 times before anyone came to help me walk (it seemed like a long time, but there’s no clock in here so I don’t know how long it really took). I have also asked 3 times for an incentive spirometer because I was told it was really important to use that, and they still haven’t brought one! I hate being needy and I don’t want to be “that patient,” but I am trying to follow my surgeon’s instructions and I need some help to do that.

I’m trying to keep the faith and remember why I wanted this, but right now, all I can think is, “why did I do this to myself?”

Apologies if the rambling is a little incoherent; I’m still kind of out of it.

1 hour ago, BigSue said:

Had my surgery today... this is rough. I’m miserable and in a lot of pain. I’m used to being independent, so I hate feeling so helpless. I’m also really disappointed in the nurses here. They were all over me before the surgery, asking questions, setting up monitors, checking vitals. But now that I’m recovering, I feel like they forgot about me! (Different nurses, of course.).

My main nurse came in and introduced herself, poured some little cups of Water, and disappeared. I had told her I wanted to get up and walk around, and she said she needed to walk with me the first time to make sure I could do it ok, but she never came back. I had to ask 3 times before anyone came to help me walk (it seemed like a long time, but there’s no clock in here so I don’t know how long it really took). I have also asked 3 times for an incentive spirometer because I was told it was really important to use that, and they still haven’t brought one! I hate being needy and I don’t want to be “that patient,” but I am trying to follow my surgeon’s instructions and I need some help to do that.

I’m trying to keep the faith and remember why I wanted this, but right now, all I can think is, “why did I do this to myself?”

Apologies if the rambling is a little incoherent; I’m still kind of out of it.

Complain away. Those complaints are legitimate! You should have fast attentive service and a spirometer! I hope that was just a busy hour and you are being well cared for now.

10 minutes ago, MaybeMeow said:

Complain away. Those complaints are legitimate! You should have fast attentive service and a spirometer! I hope that was just a busy hour and you are being well cared for now.

Nope, haven’t seen a nurse in hours, except when I walk by the desk on my hourly walks. Still no incentive spirometer! I feel like it must be time for another round of vitals soon, so I’ll ask again then.

11 minutes ago, BigSue said:

Nope, haven’t seen a nurse in hours, except when I walk by the desk on my hourly walks. Still no incentive spirometer! I feel like it must be time for another round of vitals soon, so I’ll ask again then.

I went thru that the day of my surgery. the nurses on the evening shift were not good at all- I didn't get my spirometer until the next morning when my head practitioner from my bariatric program visited. she was not happy. my nurses that came in in the morning were soooo much better and attentive. hopefully that'll happen for you too

6 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

Today is day 9 since surgery and I have been struggling hard mentally and emotionally pretty much all week. It all kind of crashed down directly after my post-op appointment on Monday. Part of the program was getting the "bible" as part of the education process. The "bible" is the program's bariatric handbook that details out every single step in the days leading up the surgery, the day of surgery, and the weeks following. It's a road map for how things will go.

My doctor...is the medical director for the program. And on Monday, he pretty much told me that he doesn't usually follow the handbook and that I should not pay attention to it. So, while right now I am still on a liquid phase (clear fluids and 3 Protein Shakes a day), I was anticipating the follow up at week 3 to progress to pureed foods as tolerated (protein shakes are never going to really go away).

Instead, my doctor wants me to stay on liquids for 8 weeks. And while I understand his rationale for it as it will continue to provide an accelerated weight loss for a much longer period of time, it completely shattered me because right now the only thing I do with my time every day...is consume fluids. I am only allowed to drink 1 ounce of fluids every fifteen minutes. I am supposed to spread that ounce over the course of 15 minutes. Literally every waking moment is me sipping from a little 1 ounce medicine cup. The thought of doing this for 7 more weeks? I spent pretty much all day Monday and Tuesday crying because I just don't see how this can be sustainable. I'm getting 52-56 ounces of Fluid in me every day at this point, but I am also waking up pretty much around 3am with my mouth completely dry, so it feels like I am barely managing to keep hydrated.

And my doctor did say that at any point if I decide that I want to start integrating appropriate food into my diet, that I just have to let him know and he will work with me and adjust my diet. I just hate that he's putting that burden on my shoulders because it feels to me that when I make that decision, I am tapping out on accelerated weight loss and admitting defeat.

I forced myself to go back to work onsite yesterday for a few hours just to get myself out of the house. It helped my mood and mindset some, but I came home really wiped out, so it may have been pushing things a bit much (on top of what is probably too aggressive an exercise plan so soon after surgery).

Today I'm feeling a little bit better mentally and emotionally, but still pretty ragged. I'm tired of drinking these tiny little sips from these tiny little cups, but there's not really anything I can do about it. The best I can hope for is get through another week and a half and then ask if I can do 1 ounce of Fluid every 8-10 minutes.

I had surgery last Thursday and had similar experience. Yes it was frustrating. I think the staff has been so overworked the past six months they are burned out. I had pretty bad nausea and heartburn also. I wanted nothing to do with my phone or iPad that day so you’re doing good. Good luck!!