Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am wondering about how long food stays in our stomach once we can eat real foods, not liquids and sliders, compared to a normal stomach. I read a normal stomach takes 4-5 hours to fully empty. I asked my surgeon’s nurse this and she had no answer.

Also, can someone describe what their digestion felt like in the first 2 weeks. Should I feel lots of gas and acid with things like yogurt or cottage cheese?

Well you shouldn't be eating anything at all the first weeks should be liquids..

And don't think anybody knows how long food stays in why are you asking

I obviously asked because I am curious. I am trying to follow my plan but feel best on shakes and broths. I am supposed to be having more foods but everything seems to create acid. I was hoping that someone might have something useful to share because I never experienced heartburn before this.

Are you on any acid reducing medication at the moment? Some surgeons prescribe for two to four weeks.

You are two weeks post op and on pureed / soft foods? I know I wasn't comfortable with cottage cheese or scrambled eggs four weeks out and postponed them for a while.

I doubt gas or acid reflu after everything you eatis normal. If you didn't experience this with liquids maybe it is too soon for you to do pureed/soft foods? I didn't start them until after about three and half weeks post op.

Edited by Hop_Scotch

One thing you will learn is that you have to listen to your own body. If you are more comfortable right now on shakes and broth, then stick with them a while longer. You will not hurt anything by doing this. First goal is to get your Water in, then the Protein, then the Vitamins. My doc would not even let me have pureed veggies until week 8. There are so many different "plans" out there, that you have to realize that each doc is a bit different in what they are asking, but that none of them have an absolute corner on the truth about what is best for YOU at this moment in time. Listen to your own body and advance the diet as you are able. Going slower will not hurt you.

My nutritionist told me that if any time, I felt uncomfortable or that food was disagreeing with me, to go back to the previous phase for a week or 2 and then try again later. Sounds like maybe you should stick to thick liquids for another week while your body continues to heal?

Best of luck to you!!

7 hours ago, Superman84 said:

Well you shouldn't be eating anything at all the first weeks should be liquids..

And don't think anybody knows how long food stays in why are you asking

depends on the program. Ours had us on purees as soon as we left the hospital. BUT....if it's bothering the OP, then yes - she should probably go back to liquids for the time being.

many surgeons put patients on a PPI for the first 3-6 months - are you on one? If not, you might want to let them know what's going on. Feeling like that would be miserable!

also, some people develop lactose intolerance - at least temporarily - after surgery. Can you eat other things?

32 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

Should add that thread starter had the sleeve and it can cause som acid issues. Just pay attention to it and make sure to see a doctor and have it checked out in a while. Long term acid reflux can lead to a number of issues, the worst case scenario is cancer, but that is worst case. Best case is just some uncomfortable burning sensations.

I agree. GERD is a potential side effect of the sleeve. It's a minority who get it, but a large enough minority that it's a known complication. Keep on top of it -- because MsMocie is correct - unmanaged GERD can lead to more serious problems down the road.

My surgery involves a sleeved stomach and to be honest I have no idea how long food stays in our stomach. I get full pretty fast but as long as I don't eat fast I can eat what I put in front of me. Which admittedly is about half a cup. Sometime 2/3 of a cup. I'm 4 months out though...

As for me the first week was liquids and second was puree via my surgeons nutrition guidelines. I struggled most the first week because I had very little appetite and Jello HURT to eat. It felt like my chest got really tight and my stomach felt like it did flips. I avoided it like the plague after I realized it wasn't just the gas doing it because everything else didn't do that to me. I also didn't have increased acid issues, but then I've been on acid reducers for YEARS! I take famotidine for my EOS because it's the only acid reducer that doesn't interact with my TN meds (all the other ones are flagged for fatal reactions with my meds and even though I haven't had a flare in a year and haven't needed the pills I NEED to be able to take them just in case of a flare... for my sanity). If you're not taking an acid reducer you should ask your doctor for a prescription or call them and ask if you can buy some over the counter. And, some people do have a dairy sensitive stomach for a while. I, myself, lucked out and am pretty much fine with dairy. I'm actually better with it after surgery then I was before lol

My doctor said to eat very slowly because it takes about 20 minutes of your stomach being stretched to give the signal to your brain that you've eaten enough and retain that feeling of fullness for a few hours. I got an RNY but I imagine the same is true about a sleeve. It's all about tricking your brain that you are full after a half cup of food.

11 hours ago, NikkiOwl said:

Also, can someone describe what their digestion felt like in the first 2 weeks. Should I feel lots of gas and acid with things like yogurt or cottage cheese?

In my first two weeks, I was on liquids. Sometimes I did experience acid reflux symptoms because I was drinking too much. I didn't really understand how small my sips had to be in the beginning. I was able to figure it out pretty quickly and stop the acid reflux symptoms.

1 minute ago, PlanetHopper said:

In my first two weeks, I was on liquids. Sometimes I did experience acid reflux symptoms because I was drinking too much. I didn't really understand how small my sips had to be in the beginning. I was able to figure it out pretty quickly and stop the acid reflux symptoms.

yes - I should have added the reflux could be temporary -- as in it may not lead to chronic GERD for the OP. Reflux when you're early post-op isn't uncommon - which is probably why many surgeons put patients on a PPI for the first few months.

Thanks for all the responses. I am on one pill of Pepcid in the morning. My program says they want us off Protein Drinks at the end of week 3, which I feel is not an option for me. I should add that the acid and gas lasts only 30ish minutes after “eating” and goes away. It is not constant so I wondered if that was the same or just normal digestion.

Oh and also I am on antibiotics.