Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What’s your weight loss after 6 months and what was you starting weight?

just keep in mind that rate of weight loss varies widely among people based on so many different factors - age, gender, metabolic rate, starting BMI, whether or not you lost weight prior to surgery, how compliant you are with your food plan, activity level. I was a slow loser and thought there was no way I was ever going to lose all my excess weight, but I did.

Also, whether you are willing/able to do a Keto or other very low carb plan post op. I tend to get low blood sugar so can do a lower carb, but KETO-ish leaves me wiped out, extremely low energy. I’ve watched friends drop HUGE amounts of weight VERY fast on KETO type, and suffered no blood sugar issues, but once they go back to regular balanced eating adding carbs back in, they pack the weight back on, and often times even more.😫

So if your post op plan is KETO-ish you can lose LOTS and FAST. As wise folks have stated however, whatever post op eating plan you choose, you’d be well served to try for a version of it that you can live with for the long haul- adding more calories in maintenance stage, but not having felt so carb deprived that you revert to unhealthy behaviors when it’s all said and done.

Good luck!

I still have two months to go to hit six months as I'm only 4 months post op, but I can tell you 4 months progress lol.

Surgery weight 321 pounds January 23 2020

Current weight 256 pounds May 24 2020

So 65 pounds in 4 months or 20.25% of my body weight from my surgery weight...

4 hours ago, WInston223322 said:

June 18 377 Pounds

Dec 27 my B day 230

Wow! Great job!!!! Thanks for sharing.

53 minutes ago, NovaLuna said:

I still have two months to go to hit six months as I'm only 4 months post op, but I can tell you 4 months progress lol.

Surgery weight 321 pounds January 23 2020

Current weight 256 pounds May 24 2020

So 65 pounds in 4 months or 20.25% of my body weight from my surgery weight...

That’s fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

Starting weight 322

6 month weight 170

I was very low calorie and carbs from day 1 lost weight real quickly and the last month been kinda in maintenance but still managed to get to 165 lowest.

Had RNY BYPASS.

I started with a low carb lifestyle and plan to stick to it as a lifestyle vs a diet. It’s what helps make the tool work for me. I also have to do lower calories probably than most. I do strict regime.mi didn’t quite start out this way but learned along the way that keeping daily record of my weight, Protein and calorie goals and my planned meals for the day, helps. I calculate minimum daily protein based on weight, 0.36 grams protein per 1lb body weight.

i started out April 2019 at 208lbs BMI 40.6 Height 5’

by month six I was down to 136lbs and I’d lost 72lbs

each person is different in their approach and how much they lose. I am unable to exercise due to medical conditions and disability. I have to compensate in other ways. (Honestly exercise isn’t for weight loss, exercise is to build muscle because muscle burns more calories than fat but for me exertion of any kind weakens my muscles, actually ages them)

Since reaching goal now that I’m a little over a year after surgery- I have added a little bit of fruit for Fiber and Vitamins. Like a manzano banana with my yogurt. And either a pear or an apple at night. That is when I can get them. And occasionally a couple blackberries. Otherwise I’m strict low carb.

I followed low carb low calorie for years but it wasn’t sustainable until I had the added tool of gastric bypass surgery and reached a weight loss goal I have never reached at any point in my life. Of course not including being under ten years old 🤣

I'm VERY pleased. I'm a revision from a slipped lap band to RNY and was told by many (but not my surgeon) it would be hard to get any real success. But I'm 6 months out and have lost 59 pounds. I'm only 5 pounds from my goal, and weigh almost 20 pounds less than the lowest weight I got to after my band!

I chose the weight of 140 because it's the highest weight that puts me in the "normal" BMI range. You might want to base your goal by your BMI rather than your scale weight. Good Luck!

Edited by JRT Mom

@catwoman7 is correct. We all lose at different rates, the rate is dependent on many factors, and the more you have to lose the more you’ll lose each week. But the closer you are to your goal weight, the rate per week will slow.

At 6 months from my surgery date I had lost 25.8kg (about 57lbs) and had lost about 6kgs in the weeks prior to surgery. That put me at my goal so I had slowed considerably during about the last 2months even though my diet hadn’t changed. Then lost another 10kgs during the following 5 months.

Best advice is don’t compare your rate with anyone else, keep to your program, be prepared for stalls that can last weeks and you’ll do fine.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, Darktowerdream said:

I started with a low carb lifestyle and plan to stick to it as a lifestyle vs a diet. It’s what helps make the tool work for me. I also have to do lower calories probably than most. I do strict regime.mi didn’t quite start out this way but learned along the way that keeping daily record of my weight, Protein and calorie goals and my planned meals for the day, helps. I calculate minimum daily Protein based on weight, 0.36 grams protein per 1lb body weight.

i started out April 2019 at 208lbs BMI 40.6 Height 5’

by month six I was down to 136lbs and I’d lost 72lbs

each person is different in their approach and how much they lose. I am unable to exercise due to medical conditions and disability. I have to compensate in other ways. (Honestly exercise isn’t for weight loss, exercise is to build muscle because muscle burns more calories than fat but for me exertion of any kind weakens my muscles, actually ages them)

Since reaching goal now that I’m a little over a year after surgery- I have added a little bit of fruit for Fiber and Vitamins. Like a manzano banana with my yogurt. And either a pear or an apple at night. That is when I can get them. And occasionally a couple blackberries. Otherwise I’m strict low carb.

I followed low carb low calorie for years but it wasn’t sustainable until I had the added tool of gastric bypass surgery and reached a weight loss goal I have never reached at any point in my life. Of course not including being under ten years old 🤣

That’s amazing! Thanks for sharing your calculation too. I’m going to plug in my numbers and give it a try once I’m on regular food. I’m having sleeve done this Friday!

1 hour ago, JRT Mom said:

I'm VERY pleased. I'm a revision from a slipped lap band to RNY and was told by many (but not my surgeon) it would be hard to get any real success. But I'm 6 months out and have lost 59 pounds. I'm only 5 pounds from my goal, and weigh almost 20 pounds less than the lowest weight I got to after my band!

I chose the weight of 140 because it's the highest weight that puts me in the "normal" BMI range. You might want to base your goal by your BMI rather than your scale weight. Good Luck!

I’m also choosing my goal weight based on BMI. I’m short so mine is 132 to be normal. Honestly I’m really looking forward to even 150!

Like a few posters said above i'ts difficult to compare pounds lost and get any real indication of how you will do.

Especially since we all started at different weights, heights, ages, length of time being obese, etc.

If you REALLY want to compare, maybe look at BMI's and % of body weight lost, this would at least factor out a couple of the variables.

With that said, I'm female, 47 yrs old & 5'2".

My BMI on day of surgery was 41.1

At the 6 months mark, it was at 25.4

Which was about roughly 38% of total body weight lost from surgery day.

Just now, ms.sss said:

Like a few posters said above i'ts difficult to compare pounds lost and get any real indication of how you will do.

Especially since we all started at different weights, heights, ages, length of time being obese, etc.

If you REALLY want to compare, maybe look at BMI's and % of body weight lost, this would at least factor out a couple of the variables.

With that said, I'm female, 47 yrs old & 5'2".

My BMI on day of surgery was 41.1

At the 6 months mark, it was at 25.4

Which was about roughly 38% of total body weight lost from surgery day.

Our stats are almost identical!
I’m 48, BMI 41, and I’m 5’1; this is exactly what I was hoping for! I’ve seen some charts that just don’t seem realistic. May I ask if you had the bypass or sleeve?