Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie considering surgery. Help with negative thoughts?

Yeah if you're paying cash you want to be sure you're ready because it's a big chunk of cash to lay down for surgery.

13 hours ago, Kam1177 said:

I have an extra 150lbs on me that from here feels insurmountable.

Was not Insurmountable at all - This is a Journey not a race so let K.I.S.S it - keep it simple style!

You loose 2,5 pounds a week

Which is 10 Pounds a month

Which is 120 Pounds a year

So around 15-20 Months your insurmountable Task is completed! Nope its all in the Math

Trust me the time will fly by and the Journey down will be filled with Great Feelings of getting happy - As for cash me and you will get our money back in 20 months in reduced food costs, Not eating out and Drinking. Good investment. I looked at it this way, My 13k cash payment would not have fit in the URN with me if i kept going the way i was going

Aj

Edited by WInston223322

1 minute ago, WInston223322 said:

Was not Insurmountable at all - This is a Journey not a race so let K.I.S.S it - keep it simple style!

You loose 2,5 pounds a week

Which is 10 Pounds a month

Which is 120 Pounds a year

So around 15-20 Months your insurmountable Task is completed! Nope its all in the Math

Trust me the time will fly by and the Journey down will be filled with Great Feelings of getting happy

Aj

Mate everybody knows that you do not lose the same amount consistently like that at all... I lost 40lbs in the first month and then it took me 2 months to lose the next 40 nobody loses weight like that because the less weight you have to lose the harder it will be to lose.

Also some people lose 1lb a week others lose 10lb a week it all depends.

I'm more than happy with my bypass as I'm in maintenance mode and below goal :)

Was not predicting was just showing her it is possible and not impossible that is Just the average I just googled it! I agree .......some weeks it falls off and some it stalls! But She has to realize it is possible! Post above was to get her Mind set of being impossible corrected! It is very possible!

Don\t forget we are Male so we shredded it My female friends averaged about 4-12 a month around here;.

You can not argue this fact - Keep the dang Calories Low and Burn as many every day as you can!

I think it is really important to address the idea that you are "giving up on doing this on your own" because truthfully there are a lot of unkind people who may say this to you. Truthfully it does sound like you cannot do this on your own, according to what you're telling us about your past, and you know what? That is really and truly okay and there's nothing wrong with you. The vast majority of overweight/obese people can't lose and maintain a lot of weight long-term either. There's nothing wrong with having completely normal limitations in one area and you aren't obligated to suffer through a much harder and more difficult path to treat your medical condition just because society idolizes that path. A key factor in my decision to get gastric sleeve was realizing that people were always going to judge me- whether I stayed fat, lost weight through surgery, or even if I lost weight the traditional way, because some people will judge me from being fat in the first place. Ultimately I think its much better to be judged for something that makes you happier. For me, for a long time, what made me happiest was being fat and loving myself, now it is choosing gastric sleeve and loving myself, and I'm happy with both choices because they were what I chose. I hope whatever path you choose brings you joy ❤️

I totally get where you're coming from though. Obesity is weird because its one of the only medical conditions where people think less of you for using medical interventions to cure it. It is really easy to internalize those types of thought processes.

So, I've been researching this quite a bit and, after much thought, I began considering working with one of the reputable doctors in Tijuana (though I am still looking into a doctor in Alabama and one in Florida that can do it at lower cost). While I have the money to do it stateside, it would cause a significant delay to my upcoming plans, which include a move across the country, going back to school and purchasing a home.

I reached out to one of the TJ doctors with great reviews and had the stark realization that I could have this surgery within a month or 2. They sent the preop diet info, the liquid diet info, a long medical history form to fill out. That scared me. It scared me with the idea of how soon my life could change. And in that moment, I realized, I'm not yet ready for the surgical path. I still want to try one more time on my own. I want to give it one more go. And in the event I really cannot do it on my own, I feel comforted by the fact that I am able to get help through bariatric surgery when I feel ready. I have options and that feels good. Moreover, another few months of savings will allow me to feel more comfortable spending a chunk of money.

Anywho, thanks all for your responses to this thread. I'll def still be around, mostly lurking. Hopefully you don't hear back from me. But if you do, by that time I'll be ready. Ciao.

Edited by Kam1177

1 hour ago, Abigail123 said:

eat less . and work out more .

You make it sound easy, but we all know it's not...✌️