Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

30 minutes ago, Grace Garcia said:

I must say though, I’ve been eating like a bypass patient so the last six weeks to get ready and to help with my reflux situation. It’s a huge life change for sure.

Yes it is a big changer. I dumped again after Breakfast !! Lasted 45 min. I didn't throw up though. I just kept dry heaving. I don't know if I can even throw up with this thing . I get hot flashes and feels like I have stomach bug, just awful.

I hope they can get you scheduled in July. The sooner the better and you don't want to be in hospital if they have a 2nd wave in the fall of covid.

My son is getting married next weekend !! I need not to eat that morning, lol.

What did you have for breakfast that made you sick? I’m curious. What was your revision date?

1 hour ago, Grace Garcia said:

What did you have for Breakfast that made you sick? I’m curious. What was your revision date?

Well I tried Cereal again because I thought 8 grams of sugar wasn't too much. I was wrong, lol. I did read up on it after the episode was over. The combination of carbs and sugar is why I dumped. I would have felt better if I had vomited, but just Water and dry heave. Now my right side is flaring again from the dry heave, lol. I guess I will just have to make myself an egg every morning. I would just drink a shake but then I cant take any Vitamins. I take about 10 a day and I have to take them when I eat food or I get sick. May 22nd was my revision date.

I am eating normal food with 1 shake a day to hit my Protein, as soon as I can eat more I will drop the shake. I had a cowboy chicken patty for dinner and some cottage cheese. I ate 2.5 oz of the patty and 1/4 of cottage cheese. I ate it in 2 settings because I started to feel some restriction. I have noticed if I eat too fast the restriction hits minutes later and I don't want to put a lot of pressure on my pouch. I have to retrain myself to eat slowly and chew chew chew. I didn't really have to do that with the sleeve. Also, I had shrimp and steak stir fry for lunch and a few cubes of pineapple for a snack. Pretty normal food for me. I rarely eat out and I don't do fried food.

6 hours ago, Tracyringo said:

Well I tried Cereal again because I thought 8 grams of sugar wasn't too much. I was wrong, lol. I did read up on it after the episode was over. The combination of carbs and sugar is why I dumped.

How many days ago was your surgery?

I'm asking because I was on liquids/puree for 3 weeks and while I was glad I didn't have to do the whole 4 weeks this time I also think I wouldn't have been able to manage progressing to something like oatmeal or cereal, Beans or eggs any earlier than these three weeks.

I understand that there might be cravings for "normal food" but take it easy.

Edited by summerset
typo - people don't have carvings for food, lol.

You should not be having any sugar unless it's substitute... I didn't touch sugar for months.. cereal is a big NO-NO it's processed junk

1 hour ago, summerset said:

How many days ago was your surgery?

I'm asking because I was on liquids/puree for 3 weeks and while I was glad I didn't have to do the whole 4 weeks this time I also think I wouldn't have been able to manage progressing to something like oatmeal or Cereal, Beans or eggs any earlier than these three weeks.

I understand that there might be cravings for "normal food" but take it easy.

3 1/2 weeks but I have been cleared to go. I was cleared the first week for chicken and fish at my post op appointment. The only thing I have gotten sick from was the cereal.

I actually am not craving anything, I am just eating normal food . I cant believe it either and honestly I am being careful. I don't eat bread whatsoever or anything that might gum up. I had rice noodles in the stir fry.

1 hour ago, MIKEYY84 said:

You should not be having any sugar unless it's substitute... I didn't touch sugar for months.. Cereal is a big NO-NO it's processed junk

YOU EAT YOUR WAY AND I WILL EAT MINE. I have asked you nicely to stay off my stuff and go help others. This is a revision page. I had WLS 3 years ago not 9 months so go AWAY

6 minutes ago, Tracyringo said:

3 1/2 weeks but I have been cleared to go.

"Cleared to go" doesn't necessarily mean "ready to go". Take care.

33 minutes ago, summerset said:

"Cleared to go" doesn't necessarily mean "ready to go". Take care.

I guess it all depends on the surgeon. I did check my food logs with the VSG and I was cleared after a week the same way .

2 minutes ago, Tracyringo said:

I guess it all depends on the surgeon. I did check my food logs with the VSG and I was cleared after a week the same way .

I meant it in a different way, e. g. I was like all other patients cleared to eat dairy. However, what happens when I eat dairy is stomach cramps and/or nausea.

So technically you might be "allowed" to eat cereal but you might not be ready for it yet.

You didn't specify what kind of cereal you ate and how long you waited after you mixed it with milk or Water before you ate it. Cereal can soak up a lot of liquid. If it does that in the stomach instead of during e. g. cooking, it can cause discomfort.

3 minutes ago, summerset said:

I meant it in a different way, e. g. I was like all other patients cleared to eat dairy. However, what happens when I eat dairy is stomach cramps and/or nausea.

So technically you might be "allowed" to eat Cereal but you might not be ready for it yet.

You didn't specify what kind of cereal you ate and how long you waited after you mixed it with milk or Water before you ate it. Cereal can soak up a lot of liquid. If it does that in the stomach instead of during e. g. cooking, it can cause discomfort.

I eat kashi Protein with 1/4 cup milk. I guess I wont be able to anymore or at least I wont be trying it again for awhile.

I did go check on other sites to see what they were eating and I was surprised at the stage I am in they are saying puree ? I was given puree in hospital !! The differences are crazy for sure.

Just now, Tracyringo said:

I did go check on other sites to see what they were eating and I was surprised at the stage I am in they are saying puree ? I was given puree in hospital !! The differences are crazy for sure.

Absolutely. Same with dietary advice.

I eat kashi Protein with 1/4 cup milk. I guess I wont be able to anymore or at least I wont be trying it again for awhile.

I had to look up Kashi's cereal. Never heard of it before. Their waffles look interesting. Maybe cooked cereal like old fashioned oats are the better choice to start with? You can always try cold cereal later again.

14 minutes ago, summerset said:

Absolutely. Same with dietary advice.

I had to look up Kashi's Cereal. Never heard of it before. Their waffles look interesting. Maybe cooked cereal like old fashioned oats are the better choice to start with? You can always try cold cereal later again.

I didn't know they made waffles, lol. I agree, I need to try oatmeal instead of cold cereal. I had a half package of grits this morning so I could take some of my meds and Vitamins, otherwise I wouldn't eat breakfast more then likely. I just don't like to cook breakfast. I do however cook all other meals and enjoy doing it.

Tracy, try to get as many of your Vitamins in liquid form if you can. I’m not sure but I think there are some you can take that way. I know it’s been years since I had my surgery but in regards to them putting you on puréed foods so soon is very strange to me...I guess conversions are very different from straight sleeves or bypasses. Just do what your doc says and don’t worry about what everyone else is saying. I’ll bet later down the road, you’ll tolerate cereal better...just not now. Did you ever watch the Mini me in Tennessee YouTube videos I told you about? When you have time, watch them...I promise it will help, she shares her food ideas and struggles, etc, and she’s very insightful. Start from the beginning of her journey...she’s now three years out and takes you all the way through. You’re going to feel much better soon...you just need to get past the first few months. The bypass is very different than the sleeve. I had the bypass and my friend had the sleeve and I was WAY more restricted because of dumping and fact we don’t absorb nutrients as much , plus the pouch Is smaller. Take care.

3 hours ago, MIKEYY84 said:

You should not be having any sugar unless it's substitute... I didn't touch sugar for months.. Cereal is a big NO-NO it's processed junk

You're so touchy!!! You come across as sooooo rude and a know it all... We are all in this together!

This your first surgery - bypass - or were you revised - she was revised and has different mind set maybe and her surgeon or nutritionist might have different ways of doing bariatric diets - not all are the same - I'm a revision and on my 3rd week - I'm up to oatmeal and farina and pureed - even though I had a hold up last week - they told me to pick up where I left off - You are also in Aussie and I believe their medical practices are probably different from where she is from - you can't come across as rude, well you can - but maybe take a step back before you post - we are all very sensitive, trying to do the right thing - learning as well as we can... Okay -I'm off my soap box now