Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can we eat rice

I think it's just a matter of when you can tolerate it. Some people find that it doesn't sit well with them anymore, others are just fine. At 3 months out, you can try a little bit and see how it goes.

My own personal choice was to cut it out completely. I haven't had rice since pre-surgery (I'm 1.5 years post-op), and I don't really miss it like I thought I would.

Edited by ms.sss

I don't eat rice, but find that quinoa is a great replacement! Some people like riced cauliflower too. I haven't tried it yet!

I was told never again: too filling with no nutritional value. Same with Pasta. Twelve months out & like @ms.sss I haven’t missed it either.

I very occasionally use cauliflower rice & zucchini noodles as an alternative if I make something that would use rice or pasta. I buy it fresh from my grocery store. Not as filling & way more nutritious. There are lots of dried vegetable pastas available too.

I don't think I had it at all until I hit maintenance, and now I rarely have it. It's one of those foods that takes up a lot of space in your stomach and doesn't offer much in the way of nutritional value. I'll eat a little of it if it's required to sop up some really sauce-y thing - like an Indian dish - because otherwise with some of those dishes I'd feel like I was eating Soup. But something like Chinese food? No - I punt the rice. It's easy enough to eat the dish without it.

10 hours ago, Thick_Thighs73 said:

I'm 3 months post RNY and currently not at home with my paperwork. Just wondering what other people's plan say about eating rice. I can't remember how many months we should wait or is it forever forbidden ?

I started to introduce all foods 4 weeks after MGB and 3 weeks after revision to RNY. Rice was one of the first foods I tried and it was fine.

However, dietitians vary. The ones in my treatment team are pretty lax about food choices as long as nutritional needs are met and the patient is satisfied with the results and that suits me just fine.

They recommend to try stuff like rice, muesli and Pasta etc. with caution as some patients experience stomach problems with rice and the like but in general they're ok with these foods (what people on here usually call "carbs"). A so-called "balanced diet" is recommended by them but I know that this is not everyone's cup of tea.

I don't plan on reintroducing rice. Like most other people have already mentioned, I really like using zucchini noodles and cauliflower rice as substitutes for Pasta and rice.

I was actually encouraged around your time to introduce some brown rice into my diet due to my Vitamin levels. I wouldn't rely on rice that much. Not super rewarding. Take it slow when introducing it to your pouch.

Waste of time .. Rice has nothing in it - Ok I love rice also so if my kids are making it i will take a ramicken full with some good butter and enjoy it. But as a food choice a very poor one that will give you nothing out of it and fill you up quickly.

I suggest you start with brown rice and small amounts - It does expand in the tummy and could get messy

I’m honestly too scared to try rice based on my body’s poor response to carbs so far. I am very early in my recovery though (end of week 3). My plan introduces small portions of brown rice in week 4, but I probably won’t eat it for another few months. I highly recommend riced cauliflower. It definitely still tastes like cauliflower though, which I happen to like, but it works texturally. I eat it with my Beans.

Edited by angryspice

I didn't touch rice until 6 months out and even then it felt heavy in my stomach as it is like glue

All depends on you and how your stomach handles it. When i had the band, i went nearly 8 years without rice because i threw up everytime i tried.... With the sleeve i think over the last 10 months i have maybe had a total of 1/4 cup..... i try to stay away... not worth the feeling of blahhhhh.