Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All 😊

I was sleeved 10 years ago. I will admit I did not get to my goal weight and have regained. Now due to GERD my surgeon is recommending a revision to bypass. As far as weight loss my surgeon states I should expect to possibly lose 20-30 pounds. Has anyone had a revision to bypass after a long period of time(7+ years) and lost more than 30 pounds. I feel like I should lose more than that. I also have concerns of Hair loss. I didn’t really experience hair loss with my sleeve. Has anyone found a way to combat this issue?

Thanks so much !😁

I haven't had a revision, but I've read that people normally don't experience as much weight loss as they do with a "virgin" surgery, but that probably depends on how much weight you have to lose. If you're only 30 or 40 lbs overweight currently, it's likely to be much slower going than if you still had 100 lbs to lose, I would guess...

surgeons usually give you averages (and I'm referring to all patients getting WLS - not just revisions). As with any average, there are people who lose more...or less...than that. I think they just don't want to set people up for disappointment. I'm betting you can lose more than that if you set your mind to it.

17 minutes ago, gerdzilla said:

Hello All 😊

I was sleeved 10 years ago. I will admit I did not get to my goal weight and have regained. Now due to GERD my surgeon is recommending a revision to bypass. As far as weight loss my surgeon states I should expect to possibly lose 20-30 pounds. Has anyone had a revision to bypass after a long period of time(7+ years) and lost more than 30 pounds. I feel like I should lose more than that. I also have concerns of Hair loss. I didn’t really experience hair loss with my sleeve. Has anyone found a way to combat this issue?

Thanks so much !😁

It really depends how far you are away from goal weight i.e how much excess you have?

But it also comes down to how stringent you are

@gerdzilla I haven't been revised sleeve to bypass, but I have the experience of revision lap band to sleeve.

I maintained my weight for about 5 years after I had my lap band out due to complications. Then life threw me some curveballs and I returned to some bad behaviors. I gained ALL of my weight back. It took me another 2 years to decide that I needed help and got the sleeve. My weight loss was much slower the 2nd time around, but I have lost as much as I did with the band and am about where I did when I stopped with the band. Could I lose more? Sure, but I'm actually very happy where I am right now and don't stress it too much. My sleeve will still be there when I'm ready to focus on it again.

Regarding Hair loss, this is not specific to a type of surgery. It is the body's response to a stressful event or change. See: Telogen Effluvium https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_z/telogen-effluvium-a-to-z

29 minutes ago, Superman84 said:

It really depends how far you are away from goal weight i.e how much excess you have?

But it also comes down to how stringent you are

Unfortunately, I’m about where I started. I would like to lose 100lbs. I understand it will take changing my mindset and dedication.

I'm in the same boat, sort of. I was sleeved 2 years ago and immediately had severe GERD with the worst symptoms when my stomach was empty, so my weight loss was slow and I've regained the little I lost. I was supposed to be having revision to bypass in April, but that was postponed due to the pandemic. At this point, I'm just waiting until they can start scheduling surgeries again, hopefully by the end of June. My surgeon said my weight loss should be closer to 50-60 lbs, which I think I'd be happy with. I have regretted going for the sleeve since day one and am hoping that bypass alleviates some of GERD symptoms.

Bypass generally does fix GERD so hopefully it does for you