Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all! So my surgery is in two weeks and I’ve been very diligent with diet and exercise (lost 16 lbs already! Woo hoo!!). So I haven’t really had a food funeral, but just now at work I did a mini-food funeral and had about 15 Hersey’s kisses, a mini bag of peanuts and a bag of guacamole-flavored chips lol. None of the three are my absolute faves, but I just wanted one last time of eating whatever before embarking on this journey. I start the pre-op liquid diet next week, so I couldn’t do it then ya know. Has anyone else had a food funeral? If so, what did your “last meal” consist of?

The past 5 years was my food funeral! LOL!! I ate so much crap over the years, always promising myself that "tomorrow" would be the day I would eat healthy. Once I started with the nutritionist, I made small changes (cutting out soda, limiting fast food to 1 meal per week, etc), and then when it came down to the pre-op diet, I was just ready to do it!

Unfortunately, I'm the opposite. I'm waiting for my date and as a last hurrah I've started eating candy and soda when I use to avoid them. I didn't mean to. I bought a bag of rolos and heath bars thinking my surgery would be in April and I could enjoy them as a last supper. But then I was post poned. And stuck at home. As were my kiddos. Who have been feeling a great deal of loss. And so I purchased another bag and just recently a third. And we have them every day as "treats" for finishing work or cleaning their plate. Also... my family has had several zoom partys lately and instead of drinking wine like the other adults I bought a 6-pack of Sprite which was always a sometimes-treat. Rare. Couple times a year. Same story as the candy. Postponement. More Sprite. I think feeling sorry for myself postponement-wise has put me in this odd place as if I deserve to splurge. I need a surgery date to get it stopped. So... my long answer is my food funeral has been rolos, mini heath bars... and sprite with grape juice. The weight is piling on. I keep thinking maybe I'll be sick of it all by the time my date is set. I don't think I've ever just eaten everything I want. What an odd time to start. ((oof))

Since I’m doing a self-pay surgery, my pre-op journey is a bit different. I scheduled my surgery in early April and pretty much used the next 5 weeks as a food funeral lol. I ate every favorite food of mine under the sun! pizza, cheesecake, cheesesteaks, fried chicken, mac & cheese etc. I ate everything that I knew I probably couldn’t touch for the next 6 or more months. My “last last” meal was chicken Parmesan w/Spaghetti and some cheesecake. My surgery is in 5 days, so I’ve been on my pre-op diet, which is liquid for 2 meals and one solid food meal-a-day diet for a week and a half now. I’ve definitely struggled with it, but I’m making it.

I went Bat Poop crazy - Ran all over town eating out and going nutz! Nothing wrong with it if it helps clear your mind and get ready go for it!

I know you wont believe me but once your mind and surgery are in order over time food will never be a focus again, I have to force myself to eat now.

Do me a favor eat a big sub and some fast food for me, so i can live vicariously thru you

Personally felt the past 20 years was my food funeral and one day after scheduling surgery I just woke up and said that's it no more junk and I completely changed my diet and it's been amazing if you're able to commit to a new diet and new way of life after giving up food then go for it...

I had a schedule! The 2 weeks before I started my preop diet was all my favorite foods and restaurants!!! I knew the only way to fit it all in was to make a schedule of everything I wanted to eat and when. And all the soda I could fit in me because I knew I wouldn’t be having soda again! My husband thought I was crazy but whatever.

I didn't really have a food funeral, but we went out to dinner at a couple of my favorite places the week before my two-week liquid diet because I knew it'd be awhile before I could have some of those foods again...

I was traveling before I started my pre-op diet, so I didn't really have the opportunity to have a full food funeral. Otherwise I would have liked to have cooked a few of my favorite things before starting the pre-op diet.

Three days before my surgery, I splurged on a fresh lobster with hella butter in San Diego. My pre-op diet was low carb for 2 weeks, fluids for 2 days, so the lobster was my last solid but low-carb meal. It was amazing, thought expensive, but I figured I wasn't going to be spending much on food for a while so I might as well go for it!

My surgery was postponed because of Pandemic so when they called me last Tuesday and said surgery in a week, I almost died. Lol. I realized I wasn’t going to be able to have the last meal I had decided on because I immediately had to go on a clear liquid diet. Probably best for me!

I had a few slices of really good pizza, that was it