Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone

I am 3 months Bypass postop, I was expecting hair-loss- this is not my first weight loss surgery, Ive experienced some before, but oh my god...more than 70% of my hair is gone...I am in constant panic. I am taking Centrum multi Vitamin , Iron and zinc everyday...what am i doing wrong?? Has anyone experienced this? Did the hair come back? What kind of Vitamins are your taking?

there's nothing much that will help with that, other than keeping on top of your supplements so that it doesn't get any worse than it would otherwise. Some people take Biotin - although there are mixed reviews on that. Some say it doesn't do a thing.

and yes - it usually does grow back.

You need to take a dissolvable Biotin Vitamin. I took 5000mcg a day. My hair was super thick before and started falling out in clumps. I had to cut it short for about a year and I religiously took the biotin. Within a year my hair started getting better, thicker and longer. It’s never gone back to the thickness it was before, but it’s a lot better

My hair started falling out at 3 months too. I couldn't clean the bathroom floor often enough from the carpets of hair that would accumulate. I took my Vitamins as advised by my surgeon, but nothing beyond that. The falling out stopped around 7 months post op. I'm 1.5 years out now, and it's basically all grown back (the new hairs are generally shorter than the rest at this point still, but time will fix that.

Long story short, its pretty normal, and generally resolves itself down the road (but yeah, it does get pretty alarming when you are in the throes of it!)

Some info if you are interested (the process is called Telogen Effluvium :

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321590#treatment

Not having hair fall out but it is definitely not as thick as before and growing slower than usual..

I hit 3 months and my hair started falling out also. I'm currently at six months and the loss has finally slowed down. Now that our stay at home orders are easing I have a hair appointment Friday where I'm going to get it cut really short. Think Carol of The Walking Dead short. That way the new hairs won't have much catching up to do!

My hair started falling out at 3 1/2 months post surgery. I'm now 6 1/2 months and I think it's finally starting to slow down. I've probably lost 35-50% of my total hair. I don't have regrowth yet so I am using a thickening serum to try to fake some volume. I'll also be cutting my hair to just below jaw line once we can here...

On 5/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, mgt3boys said:

You need to take a dissolvable Biotin Vitamin. I took 5000mcg a day. My hair was super thick before and started falling out in clumps. I had to cut it short for about a year and I religiously took the Biotin. Within a year my hair started getting better, thicker and longer. It’s never gone back to the thickness it was before, but it’s a lot better

Thanks for sharing this, I am so afraid of Hair loss, my hair is already thin!

Can you tell us what dissolvable Biotin Vitiman you took please?

6 minutes ago, mlmx1138 said:

6 minutes ago, mlmx1138 said:

you may end up being fine - some people don't lose much - if any. I was really worried about it as well, but I hardly lost any. I barely noticed let alone anyone else. So maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones!

7 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

you may end up being fine - some people don't lose much - if any. I was really worried about it as well, but I hardly lost any. I barely noticed let alone anyone else. So maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones!

Thanks, I sure hope so!!

The shock of the surgery & reduced food intake speeds up your natural Hair loss cycle. My dietician said that Vitamins & supplements won’t stop the loss. All they may do is make the new growth stronger when it starts again. My surgeon told me my body had better things to do with the reduced nutrients I was consuming than grow hair.

Relax. Accept it is happening (you don’t need the added stress). Your hair will stop falling out & will grow back in its time. It may take 3 months it may take 10. I lost a good 50% from about month 3 until month 7. I cut my hair to just above my shoulders at about month 5 so it wouldn’t take as long for the new growth to catch up to the length of my existing hair. Also the loss didn’t seem as obvious with the shorter length.

On 8/16/2020 at 12:58 PM, mlmx1138 said:

I also have thin hair, especially on the top! The thought of loosing any more hair scares me to death, but I want this surgery so bad! Im afraid I will look ridiculous if I have a lot on the top fall out. Ughhhhh.....

On 05/19/2020 at 10:10, stutj said:

Hi Everyone

I am 3 months Bypass postop, I was expecting hair-loss- this is not my first weight loss surgery, Ive experienced some before, but oh my god...more than 70% of my hair is gone...I am in constant panic. I am taking Centrum multi Vitamin , Iron and zinc everyday...what am i doing wrong?? Has anyone experienced this? Did the hair come back? What kind of Vitamins are your taking?

Add Biotin and go get some cologne powder . I mix the unflavored powder into my coffee every morning and my hair is not falling out much and my skin and joints are feeling pretty good. It helps. I have been on it for about a month and it’s crazy how much my skin n hair have gotten so much better.

what kind of powder? I looked up cologne and couldn't find anything like that?