Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Postop without narcotic pain meds

I’m one day post-op and had a LOT of pain and discomfort initially. My belly pain was unrelenting. I was so miserable, I couldn’t even fall asleep. My surgeon’s office has a program in which a medical assistant comes to you to administer a Fluid bolus with Toradol added, a few hours post-op, and the day after surgery you return for even more IV hydration and Toradol. That helped tremendously. Otherwise, I’ve been taking Oxycontin and Tylenol. With pain being so subjective, I’m shocked that your doc won’t prescribe at least a 2-3 day supply of narcotics.

I was given Celebrex and 3 days of Percocet for home. I didn't even use the Percocet. It's so bizarre because you'd think there would be a lot of pain given the procedure, but I didn't have any (except for the first hour in recovery... that was brutal but I had fentanyl there, LOL). While I was in the hospital they gave me Toradol IV as needed.

I’m shocked that your doc won’t prescribe at least a 2-3 day supply of narcotics.

Many US doctors are being encouraged to not use narcotic meds in hospital or Rx to go home. Opioid addiction crisis is really bad in some states. My state monitors all controlled substances carefully and doctors can get in trouble with medical board of licensure if pattern of prescribing too often. If surgeons do send postop patient home with narcotic pain med, they are only allowed to give 3 day supply.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app