Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Postop without narcotic pain meds

I’m one day post-op and had a LOT of pain and discomfort initially. My belly pain was unrelenting. I was so miserable, I couldn’t even fall asleep. My surgeon’s office has a program in which a medical assistant comes to you to administer a Fluid bolus with Toradol added, a few hours post-op, and the day after surgery you return for even more IV hydration and Toradol. That helped tremendously. Otherwise, I’ve been taking Oxycontin and Tylenol. With pain being so subjective, I’m shocked that your doc won’t prescribe at least a 2-3 day supply of narcotics.

I was given Celebrex and 3 days of Percocet for home. I didn't even use the Percocet. It's so bizarre because you'd think there would be a lot of pain given the procedure, but I didn't have any (except for the first hour in recovery... that was brutal but I had fentanyl there, LOL). While I was in the hospital they gave me Toradol IV as needed.

I’m shocked that your doc won’t prescribe at least a 2-3 day supply of narcotics.

Many US doctors are being encouraged to not use narcotic meds in hospital or Rx to go home. Opioid addiction crisis is really bad in some states. My state monitors all controlled substances carefully and doctors can get in trouble with medical board of licensure if pattern of prescribing too often. If surgeons do send postop patient home with narcotic pain med, they are only allowed to give 3 day supply.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 5/26/2020 at 7:29 PM, Miss215 said:

I’m one day post-op and had a LOT of pain and discomfort initially. My belly pain was unrelenting. I was so miserable, I couldn’t even fall asleep. My surgeon’s office has a program in which a medical assistant comes to you to administer a Fluid bolus with Toradol added, a few hours post-op, and the day after surgery you return for even more IV hydration and Toradol. That helped tremendously. Otherwise, I’ve been taking Oxycontin and Tylenol. With pain being so subjective, I’m shocked that your doc won’t prescribe at least a 2-3 day supply of narcotics.

Thats a great program lucky. Some of us have apnea for which the opiods r contradicted due to even more airway relaxation. Infact some patients in the beginning who had weightloss surgery w apnea would die in their sleep after. Now most places seem to not allow the opiod after surgery due to airway collapse. I also concur with the lady questioning the use of celebrex .. though its a gentler nsaid its still an nsaid and thus ulcers could potentially be a problem at the staple line w nsaid use. Tylenol has the safest but is it really the safest for those of us w fatty liver. Use what you need and have available to you. Im going to try w just tylenol

I had the sleeve done on Wednesday, the 5th. I was given Tylenol with Codine at the hospital, plus a non-opioid, internal pain blocker called exparel. My pain level has been minimal so I haven't even needed to take the Tylenol with Codine that they sent me home with.

My bariatric center doesn't give any narcotics to control pain immediate postop. They use combination of acetaminophen and Celebrex. I can't take Celebrex because previous reaction with sky high blood pressure (220/120). So not sure what they will provide for immediate postop pain. Hoping I will have a chance to talk with surgeon before surgery. Don't think acetaminophen will be enough after having 75% of stomach removed.
Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

Mine did the same. I took the pain stuff for 2 days, but probably didn't need it. The other I did as well, but probably only needed it for 24 hrs. Im sure they can find a solution

Eddy Blaine Brown II

My bariatric center doesn't give any narcotics to control pain immediate postop. They use combination of acetaminophen and Celebrex. I can't take Celebrex because previous reaction with sky high blood pressure (220/120). So not sure what they will provide for immediate postop pain. Hoping I will have a chance to talk with surgeon before surgery. Don't think acetaminophen will be enough after having 75% of stomach removed.
Sent from my SM-T580 using BariatricPal mobile app

You should see them right before surgery

Eddy Blaine Brown II

Right after surgery in recovery the anesthesiologist gave me a nerve block injection in my abdomen which i think is supposed to last 24 hours. I didn't need any pain medication while in the hospital and didn't need the Vicodin i was sent home with. I was a little sore/uncomfortable but not painful. Maybe that injection is something to discuss with your Dr.