Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass again...not happy about it

Hello,

just wanted to share my story. It’s quite unique, and I’m hoping I hear some positives because I’m so depressed.

17 years ago I had a gastric bypass. I was 345 lbs and due to terrible back, I decided to do the surgery. The bypass went well, no complications. When it was time to introduce solids, I simply couldn’t. Everything made me dump..soups, eggs, everything including shakes. I stopped eating and ended up having a reversal to save my life. The reversal happened 5 months after bypass. Since then I’ve suffered every single day with gerd. Now I have a hiatel hernia that’s 4 mm with a benign mass and an ulcer. I just saw a surgeon and he said no other option than to do a gastric bypass. It’s that or I could die from the growth of the mass and hernia. I think I’m most scared about food not agreeing with me again.

Can those of you out at least 6 months and up to a couple of years share your diets with me?

Take a look at the maintenance meals thread or the food before and after thread. Many people who're quite far out post pictures of their meals there.

If you already have a benign mass down there in your distal esophagus I wouldn't postpone any longer, especially since your surgeon also recommends it.

I'm 6.5 months post op and can eat most things obviously if I try sugar it will make me feel bad but in general I can tolerate most things with little issues and the bypass has been amazing I've lost over 150lbs

there have been improvements in the way they do the surgery since you first had it, as I understand, so you may be more successful with this one. Good luck to you. What an awful predicament!

I went into gastric bypass surgery with chronic illness and many medical issues, I also had my gallbladder removed at the same time. It’s been a rough road and it took me a lot of trial and error to find things I could tolerate and I took it slow. Right of the bat I was sick and had a lot of problems with getting into purée foods. I found a Protein Powder that worked. It’s quite possible that you were consuming things that you were allergic or had sensitivity to. Not all Protein Shakes are equal either. For me I did best with PEScience Protein powder.< br />

I stuck to very simple things , very low carb as well. And always protein first. I got protein Soup mixes from BariatricPal. Protein Shots for when I could barely tolerate anything. Instead of purée meat I started mixing protein powder with Greek yogurt. Even eggs at that point were a no go. Eventually I slowly added a soft boiled egg here and there. Until it’s become fairly regular. A Low calorie low carb Protein Bar for Breakfast with tea. My lunches are simple even now I’m a year in. I started with some BariatricPal protein Pasta, then slowly changed it over to adding veggie burger with an egg on top. dinner well that’s almost always Greek yogurt with protein powder. And some sugar free topping. And a baby banana. It took things extremely slow. I still struggle and have issues. I always will that’s just me personally.

But I think you shouldn’t be afraid. Things are probably different now, the surgery has improved, you can have a better nutrition guide. Maybe the dietary guidelines included something causing you to dump too often. Or you were not mindful of portions and eating slow. A lot of times surgeons don’t give proper nutrition guidance and that leads to problems. My nutritionist was very helpful. Although for me I’d already been following low carb for years I needed the added tool of bypass to help me.

Learn to be mindful of your body and what your pouch doesn’t like. And take it slow and easy. As long as you get protein there’s no race to eating solid food or even purée. I find it helps to take daily note of weight, food intake, protein and calories. Protein should be based on weight starting at 0.36 grams protein per 1lb body weight. And also no more than 5 grams of sugar in a meal. Especially starting out. I guess to some it might seem obsessive but it’s helped me and yes I’m ocd and on the Autism spectrum. I use the notes section on my iPad and the same format each day and note if I see a doctor and any health issues that come up.

For me it was fight to get the tool of gastric bypass surgery to help against weight gain from metabolic disorders and inability to exercise, a fight that’s exhausted me most of my life ... or just give up.

it sounds Like this is very important to your wellbeing. There really is no choice here but to take that step forward. I wish you all the best in your journey.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share this with me. I do appreciate it very much. My EGD is tomorrow, then we will discuss My treatment. God bless