Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was being seen at Derby hospital to go for bypass surgery. I started losing weight well but then my mental health dropped and my weight went up. This went on for 3 years I have since be discharged on the grounds i sort my head out and then my dr can refer me back to tey again. I was gutted. Im tryin to start my health eatting plan but just don't know where to start. Does any one have any advice please I am absolutely desperate. I have around 15stone to lose.

Thank you xxx

Cut out bad carbs. Get rid of soda. Research healthy alternatives. I personally started Protein Shakes 2 months before surgery on my own choice and was able to shed 65lbs in 8 weeks and now 6.5 months post op I've lost a total of 150+lbs

I actually lived off the shakes for months 3-4 shakes a day high Protein next to no carbs 150cal per shake.

I chose to be very strict to follow my diet to the letter not once did I go off track until I was basically on maintenance mode...

Do you know if you get the right Vitamins from the Protein Shakes. Just confused and don't jnow what to do. I know I should be losing weight slowly but I'm extremely heavy and concerned about my health. And think I need to do something drastic

I take Vitamins because I got the bypass the doctor will tell you what you need to take.

I was able to lose 156lbs in 8.5 months and I wasn't doing anything that drastic just following a good clean diet with NO cheating..

Low calories. Low carb. High Protein.

2 hours ago, Superman84 said:

I chose to be very strict to follow my diet to the letter not once did I go off track until I was basically on maintenance mode...

I too took a very strict approach, especially going up against metabolic disorders and inability to exercise. I note daily my weight, food intake, Protein and calories. As a general rule I get minimum 0.36 grams protein per 1lb body weight. I started very low calorie and low carb never more than 5 grams of sugar as per my nutritionist. I was very slow to enter purée phase.

I had Protein Shakes. it took me a while to find one I could tolerate. For me I used PEScience Select Protein Powder and 6 ounces of Ripple milk (pea protein milk plain unsweetened which added protein for practically no carbs) which was 160 calories, 30 grams protein and no more than 3-4 carbs. They did a lot of work to get the healthiest protein blend and best taste. I now mix it with Greek yogurt either plain nonfat Fage or TwoGood yogurt and half a scoop (I measure everything on a scale though) and it mixes to a frosting like texture.

link for PEScience

http://rwrd.io/c6uus2e

I couldn’t do bariatric Vitamins. I needed ones without added iodine. But I personally recommend Whole Foods based vitamins. It’s tough to budget in but I preferred Garden of life Whole Foods Multivitamins (prenatal) my nutritionist approved of them and any sugar (below 5 grams) came from natural foods ingredients. I take a separate Calcium with vit d, hair skin and nails formula, omegas, and some people take B12 and Vitamin k. Your doctor should do bloodwork to check vitamin levels to recommend any extra supplements.

I know the hardest part is getting your head in the right place and working on food addiction. I had fought this years before having gastric bypass surgery. My lifelong chronic illness fought me in other ways. The biggest battle I think is the sugar addiction. Once you realize there are healthy versions of sweet things and that small portions of protein can satisfy you and that we eat to live rather than live to eat, it’s one step ahead on the journey.

Like Superman84 said. It’s time to get strict with yourself. Cut out sugar, carbs and soda. It’s a hard addiction to kick. But if I did it, anyone can. You can too. Remove temptations from your reach as well. And ...
just keep taking it one step at a time.

Edited by Darktowerdream

Yep I'm living proof