Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so I am 10 days post op and the Constipation is real 2 days ago I thought I had it worked out after 2 days of max dosage of colase and a suppoitory but now its back and even more vengeful. After the last bout I stopped taking any medication that had constipating side effects because no amount of pain or nausea is worth this. Probably TMI but it is like rock hard... Any suggestions? How long does this last?

Right after surgery, I experienced terrible Constipation, too. I tried all sorts of remedies to no avail. The only thing that helped in my case was Fleet enemas.

Welcome to the post weight loss surgery world of Constipation. You’ll find trying to poop will become a daily challenge. It will get better. Keep up your fluids to keep your bowel motions soft & not compacted. Add solvable fibre (like benefibre) to your shakes, Soup or Water. It won’t fix the problem but it will help.

Remember you’re not eating as much so your body doesn’t have as much waste to get rid of each day. I was happy if I went every two days. I found just sitting & relaxing on the toilet helped even if I sat there for 20mins. Distract yourself with a book, a game or stream a show while you’re sitting there. Crazy, but it helped me. 😁

7 hours ago, Madhatler said:

Ok so I am 10 days post op and the constipation is real 2 days ago I thought I had it worked out after 2 days of max dosage of colase and a suppoitory but now its back and even more vengeful. After the last bout I stopped taking any medication that had constipating side effects because no amount of pain or nausea is worth this. Probably TMI but it is like rock hard... Any suggestions? How long does this last?

I totally understand the frustration... haven't gone in four days myself and starting to stress about it. Funny thing is, my own surgery is supposed to have the exact OPPOSITE issue, but I'm the weirdo that even confused my surgeons office, go figure! Anyway, I hope you can figure out something that'll work for you. I've upped my Fluid even more than normal, have taken Milk of Magnesia, Miralax, and bought stool softener I have yet to try and... Magnesium Citrate as my last resort because that stuff is NASTY! 🤮 My surgeons office had me cut out banana's and told me to cut out my Iron for three days and just take Multivitamins without and then once it clears up go back to taking only TWO instead of the THREE I WAS taking. I've decided since it didn't work LAST time (I was constipated last week too) I'm cutting it down to one with Iron and two without. I'll just tell my primary and she can do my labs more frequently to keep an eye on it since I see her on Tuesday anyway. It's frustrating, painful, and incredibly annoying! I hope it clears up for you!

I put a cap of Miralax in my coffee every morning. It keeps me regular. Rarely I have to take two dulcolax as well. You really don’t want to go beyond 3 days with no movement as you risk getting bowel impaction.
right after surgery I did have to use an enema a few times.

it does get better once you're not taking painkillers and can add some Fiber to your diet, but even given that, it's a chronic issue for a lot of us. Many of us take a capful of Miralax every day to keep things moving - others take things like stool softeners (like Colace), magnesium tablets, Smooth Move tea, eat prunes, etc. I do the daily Miralax which helps for the most part. I still get backed up maybe a couple times a month, so when I do, a night or two of Milk of Magnesia usually gets rid of it.

in the mean time, try to drink a lot of Fluid and get some exercise most days of the week - that helps as well.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:29 AM, Losingit2018 said:

I put a cap of Miralax in my coffee every morning. It keeps me regular. Rarely I have to take two dulcolax as well. You really don’t want to go beyond 3 days with no movement as you risk getting bowel impaction.
right after surgery I did have to use an enema a few times.

Hi I was not told I could take Dulcolax but I took some now worried if I can have it or not I’m almost 3 months out of surgery!

3 hours ago, Ravengirl said:

Hi I was not told I could take Dulcolax but I took some now worried if I can have it or not I’m almost 3 months out of surgery!

should be fine to take occasionally when you really need it. Miralax, on the other hand, can be taken every day. I take a capful a day as well to prevent "build up"