Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had VSG 4 years ago. SW 285. Got down to 215 within 4 months and never lost another pound. My weight would go down 3 lbs and up 2, then stall and restart. My surgeon acted like I was crazy when I talked to him about why I couldn’t lose consistently. Started regain 7 months post-op and now I’m back up to 250. My hunger never left, I was hungry day after surgery. I vomit still when I eat dense or dry foods and therefore sometimes avoid Proteins for carbs to avoid discomfort and vomiting. Acid reflux is awful too. I wish I had bypass instead as I’m nauseous and uncomfortable every day either hungry, heartburn or uncomfortable. Thoughts?

Revision won’t change your eating habits. Maybe look into joining Overeaters Anonymous or go to a Bariatric Surgery Support Group.

You’ve had heartburn and other symptoms SINCE the surgery and you are wanting revision 4 years later? That doesn’t sound right. If something was wrong with the surgery you should have gone back to your doctor immediately.

You need to face the true issues behind your weight. Even with bypass, you will continue to have problems unless you address them head on.

I eat 1500 calories a day. I did go to my surgeon as my comment states. Acid started a few months ago. Thanks for your condescending and rude comments. I cannot change eating habits if what I eat makes me sick. I’m looking for feedback from others who have encountered the problem not tell me I need an overeating group without understanding the physical issues.

2 minutes ago, rulooking4me said:

I eat 1500 calories a day. I did go to my surgeon as my comment states. Acid started a few months ago. Thanks for your condescending and rude comments. I cannot change eating habits if what I eat makes me sick. I’m looking for feedback from others who have encountered the problem not tell me I need an overeating group without understanding the physical issues.

Maybe you should change your post to “Only looking for people to affirm my decision.”

Get the revision, do you think that will change your relationship with food?
You can’t tell me that you haven’t been eating or have been “sick” when you’ve regained most of your weight...

Try cutting your calories down first. Try 800-1000 calories a day and cut your carbs. Also, avoid acidic foods https://www.healthline.com/health/acid-foods-to-avoid first. A revision should be a last resort because even that isn't guaranteed! Sorry you're going through a tough time and I hope things work out for you!

Yes 1500 is what you'd eat too maintain your weight not to lose weight..

it's not that unusual for GERD to start up a couple of years after VSG. And it's also not unusual for people to have revisions a few years after the original surgery.

On 5/16/2020 at 1:32 AM, rulooking4me said:

My hunger never left, I was hungry day after surgery.

Interestingly enough some people never seem to lose that feeling of hunger. Nobody will ever know if these patients never lost physical hunger at least temporarily in the first place or if they're confusing "head hunger" with "physical hunger". There is no test that can differentiate between the two.

I vomit still when I eat dense or dry foods and therefore sometimes avoid Proteins for carbs to avoid discomfort and vomiting. Acid reflux is awful too.

Acid reflux is the devil. Bile reflux is the devil's big fat mother. I got two revisions because of these issues, both times associated with hiatoplastic because of hiatus hernia.

My second revision was on 26th February and this time eating is more "problematic" so to say. The MGB seems to be more "forgiving" than the long limb RNY in some way. Or maybe I just don't remember several issue I had in the first months after MGB, not sure.

In general dense foods tend to give me stomach ache and sometimes sit in the stomach like a brick and I hate this feeling so I understand not wanting to eat heavy/dense foods.

Thoughts?

It's always hard to tell via internet. Regarding the vomiting after dense food it might be that you're eating too fast or too much or don't chew well enough or a combination of this. However, this is something only you can tell. Maybe you could try a denser food, chew the heck out of it, stop after a few bites or set a timer to e. g. 20 min and take your time.

Regarding the reflux you could play around with different foods. I'm sensitive to e. g. dairy, dry red wine and in general very fatty foods, with nuts and nut based foods being an exception. The combination of high Protein and fat is the worst regarding my stomach issues. It also can help having a time span of about 2 h between last meal and going to bed.

However, if your reflux is that bad you might consider revision to RNY anyway regardless of weight.