Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op crushed medication recs

Any advice on how to take your post op medications? I need to take pantropazole and ursodioland I have to crush them up. It tastes disgusting. I’m only a few days at op so I have to crush them... and recommendations on how to make it more bearable? What to take it with?

45 minutes ago, Ilanarose said:

Any advice on how to take your post op medications? I need to take pantropazole and ursodioland I have to crush them up. It tastes disgusting. I’m only a few days at op so I have to crush them... and recommendations on how to make it more bearable? What to take it with?

Can you ask the your doc or pharmacist if they medication comes in other forms? (I took Omeprazole in sublingual tablet form for the first 3 months, then switched over to regular capsules afterwards).

Also, you can try mixing your crushed meds with a little bit of greek yogurt...

I could and did swallow pills the day after surgery at my doctor's direction, with the sleeve.

I also went the crushed meds route and never found a way to make them less disgusting. I tried them in Water and in yoghurt in other foods. I finally decided that just putting them in my mouth in powder form and then drinking water was easiest because it was over quickly. I was so happy when my surgeon gave me permission to start taking pills again!

I was allowed to swallow pills right away as long as they were smaller than a pencil eraser. Some pantropazole tablets are really tiny - can your pharmacist get ahold of those? Ursodiol tabs are pretty big - I remember having to wait about three weeks before I could swallow those whole. How far out are you?

anyway, I never crushed pills. The only crushed pills I had were in the hospital.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:25 PM, Recidivist said:

I also went the crushed meds route and never found a way to make them less disgusting. I tried them in Water and in yoghurt in other foods. I finally decided that just putting them in my mouth in powder form and then drinking Water was easiest because it was over quickly. I was so happy when my surgeon gave me permission to start taking pills again!

How long did that take until your surgeon allowed you to take them?

I had understood from my own research that it would be OK to take the medicine as long as it was smaller than M&M, and all three of mine are very small (compounded version of nature thyroid, spironolactone for pcos, and Pepcid 40 mg). But today at a preop appointment there’s this handout about chewable in liquid meds. WHAT?! Seriously, don’t tell me that on Monday if I’ve got surgery on Thursday. They had gone over my medication several times and not one word was uttered. I don’t tend toward panic, but I don’t like important information sprung on me at the last minute since I’ve got one or two things to do before we get to Thursday 😕

1 hour ago, AlwaysCruising said:

How long did that take until your surgeon allowed you to take them?

It was about three months, which I think was overly cautious.

I was allowed to take pantoprazole and Zoloft whole the day after surgery with no issues, good luck!

Sent from my Alcatel_5008R using BariatricPal mobile app

I have to wait 6 weeks for whole pills (1 more week)! I’ve been taking my capsule with powder in them by mixing with unsweetened apple sauce and it’s very tolerable. My multi is chewable (flint stones) and my pantropazole is the only pill and I cut it in half.