Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had gastric sleeve on Monday and I am struggling the last few days. I am feeling regret, like I miss my life before where I could do whatever I wanted. I know this is childish because obviously I sought this out for a reason, but I am finding myself in tears every few hours. I know that many people in the world have far more to worry about than me and me missing my previous life, but this is where I am at. I miss food already. I have already been hungry. Ever since my surgery I have been able to take good sized sips and have gotten my Water and Protein in. Is this crazy to just miss food, and comfort foods at that? If anyone would like to exchange numbers to text for a buddy I would really appreciate it.

Edited by NikkiOwl

hey. I am almost 3 months out from RNY. I totally remember being where you're at. Trust me!!! If you follow the plan, it does get better!! I remember wanting so many things that I couldn't have in those first few weeks and being depressed and feeling like what have I done!! For me, when I was able to start eating solids, things got so much better for me. I was able to experiment and try new things. Like I said, I'm almost 3 months post op and I've lost 64 pounds. Now?? I feel great and am wondering why in the world I waited 15 years to do this. I have so much more energy, can keep up better with my kids and my husband, and am helping them to be more healthy. Granted, I still have about 70 pounds to get to where I need to be but I'm on my way and would never have been able to do what I have done without this surgery. But even still, I have my moments where I could have a 44 ounce coke from sonic and I could go on and on and on. But I just try to distract myself and get my mind on other things because that's just not possible.

What has helped me also, was to find a hobby to get involved in. I love doing diy projects and turning trash into treasure and that type of thing. It really keeps my mind busy.

Anyways, I hope that offers you some encouragement. Where you're at is a very hard time but you will get through it!

I was miserable for the first week or two. These were the milestones where I felt way better:

4 days out: gas pain finally stopped stopped

8 days out: found a Protein Powder I could tolerate - went from starving to just hungry

13 days out: started on solid food - went from hungry to usually pretty satisfied

3-4 weeks out: started being able to feel the weight loss in how my body felt

7 weeks out: energy finally back

Hang in there! In a few months, you'll barely be able to remember how bad it felt.

Ugh, those first few weeks are hard! Everyone on here said it would get better, and it did. I thought I was hungry, and I was craving Mac and cheese (ultimate comfort food, IMO); But once I was able to move to the next food phases it started to get better. Also, for me, chicken Bone Broth (I like Swanson sippables) was a life saver! I needed something not sweet!

Hang in there, it really does get much easier!

11 hours ago, NikkiOwl said:

I had gastric sleeve on Monday and I am struggling the last few days. I am feeling regret, like I miss my life before where I could do whatever I wanted. I know this is childish because obviously I sought this out for a reason, but I am finding myself in tears every few hours. I know that many people in the world have far more to worry about than me and me missing my previous life, but this is where I am at. I miss food already. I have already been hungry. Ever since my surgery I have been able to take good sized sips and have gotten my Water and Protein in. Is this crazy to just miss food, and comfort foods at that? If anyone would like to exchange numbers to text for a buddy I would really appreciate it.

I suggest seeing a psychologist

the first few weeks can be tough, and lots of people have "buyer's regret" early out. Just hang on - you'll get through this - things will soon get a lot better!!

The first few weeks are the worst. I remember laying in the hospital bed in pain. It does get better. I am two years out and there are still foods that I miss eating. I would love to eat a piece of fried chicken or a hamburger with tater tots. After the surgery, my body does not like those types of foods anymore. It has been a hard journey but I am much healthier and happier than I have ever been in my whole life. I am able to walk without pain in my knees and I can move around a lot better now.

Edited by Dorothy_Correz

For once I agree with Mikey! These are deep rooted issues that still need work. Stick to the plan and avoid self sabotage.

On 5/14/2020 at 3:50 PM, NikkiOwl said:

I had my surgery 5/18/20 our dates are close. I’d love to switch numbers and be partners through this journey.

Thanks Kristi. You can message me!