Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Glycerin Suppositories... no bowel movement after an hour??

Hey all, I used a glycerin suppository about an hour ago and it is supposed to make you go anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes after inserting... it's been over an hour and nothing. The bottle says to call a doctor but with all the covid stuff...nothing! Anyone else deal with this? :( I'm scared.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Make sure it's in correctly....it should have kinda burned when it went in. Sit down on it. I wouldn't rush to the emergency room.

It's MY time!

There were a couple times I’ve used suppositories and didn’t get results in an hour (or the day, for that matter). I just tried again the next morning. This did trick for me...I’ve never had to take more than 2 days in a row.

The instructions on box said use only once every 24 hours, and to not use for more than 7 days. Though i dunno if I would use it for 7 days...!

Like OP said above, make sure its up far enough. You should not be able to feel it when its in properly. Also, I laid down on my side while I waited for it to work...

Good Luck! Hope u get relief soon...constipation is the WORST!

I have used those in the past (not for post surgery) and I just would use another one if the first didn't work after an hour.

I think this must be very common...same happened to me, nothing with the suppository. Surgeon had prepared me this may happen, and if so, try Fleet enema. If we overdo our electrolytes get off whack, though.

I’ve been struggling with Constipation too. Have tried about everything, Miralax daily, stool softener every other day, Milk of Mag, etc. Bariatric nurse practitioner suggested I try Metamucil, sugar free. The psyllium husk adds Fiber, which my body was always used to and not getting in these early restricted limited eating days.

She said first month post surgery no one should use Metamucil/psyllium because it can gum things up, but 4-6 weeks out it’s fine and likely what I need to get over the rock hard stool that won’t move.😓

Bought Metamucil Orange Sugar Free and past 2 days I’ve had very good luck! It’s also quite palatable. Ordered it on Amazon, but everywhere carries it. I do drink about 80oz of Water, Propel, etc. Good luck!💖

I've never had much luck with suppositories. They can be a challenge to insert and it's relatively common to accidentally insert it into impacted BM where it certainly won't work at all. Sorry for the graphic description.

When I feel I need help, I take either Milk of Magnesia or a Dulcolax tab (depending on how quickly I need relief). MOM can help pretty quickly, whereas Dulcolax takes a few hours.

Here's to going! :70_poop::676_toilet:

they never worked very well for me. If I'm REALLY backed up (and I say REALLY - to the point where a night or two of Milk of Magnesia doesn't even work), I'll pick up a bottle of magnesium citrate at the drug store and drink half of it. If no results, I can always drink the other half the next day, but that's never been necessary (it's very strong - people use that for bowel cleansing before colonoscopies - so I definitely would only start with a half of a bottle!)

1 hour ago, Lily66 said:

I think this must be very common...same happened to me, nothing with the suppository. Surgeon had prepared me this may happen, and if so, try Fleet enema. If we overdo our electrolytes get off whack, though.

I’ve been struggling with constipation too. Have tried about everything, Miralax daily, stool softener every other day, Milk of Mag, etc. Bariatric nurse practitioner suggested I try Metamucil, sugar free. The psyllium husk adds Fiber, which my body was always used to and not getting in these early restricted limited eating days.

She said first month post surgery no one should use Metamucil/psyllium because it can gum things up, but 4-6 weeks out it’s fine and likely what I need to get over the rock hard stool that won’t move.😓

Bought Metamucil Orange sugar free and past 2 days I’ve had very good luck! It’s also quite palatable. Ordered it on Amazon, but everywhere carries it. I do drink about 80oz of Water, Propel, etc. Good luck!💖

once the OP has the "clog" out of her system, taking psyllium on a regular basis to keep things moving is great - although when you're currently seriously blocked up, it can add to the "mass". So OP - deal with that "clog" first - and once it's cleared, the daily (or several times a week) psyllium idea might work for you.

24 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

once the OP has the "clog" out of her system, taking psyllium on a regular basis to keep things moving is great - although when you're currently seriously blocked up, it can add to the "mass". So OP - deal with that "clog" first - and once it's cleared, the daily (or several times a week) psyllium idea might work for you.

Thanks for your addition, Catwoman7! Indeed, before I began the Metamucil/psyllium, I took max dose of MOM and began with a “clear slate, er, um, colon”.