Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-surgery: need advice from previously heavy drinkers

Hi there everyone!
I am in the UK, and in the process of having my pre-approval for a gastric sleeve. I am 33, 5'4 (164cm) and approximately 20 stone (280 pounds).
One thing that came up in the psych assessment is that I am a heavy drinker, and this will hinder my attempts to lose weight (with or without surgery.)
The doctor said I need to decrease my drinking to 10 units a week, which is a lot less than I drink now.
I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience, and had to drastically reduce their alcohol intake, and how was their experience of that? Was it easy/difficult? Was it an issue post-surgery?
Thanks for your help.

Ok i drink and have drank for a long time - However i Drink Vodka, so if you are a beer drinker really can not help

One thing you are going to realize is the power of a drink will be about 10 times stronger - For example I could drink 5 plus good strong drinks prior to surgery - Now i am lucky to get 2 vodka gator-aides in.

Also it is rough on the tinny tummy and definitely has calories. So i suggest you go very slow and go from a drinker to a sipper every now and then. Not going to be easy and I fully understand but I just drink high end Vodkas now and do it for enjoyment rather then the Habit or addiction I have.

I gave up alcohol along with soda and sugar pre-op I see alcohol as just one of the many things you have to change

8 hours ago, redwards 123 said:

Hi there everyone!
I am in the UK, and in the process of having my pre-approval for a gastric sleeve. I am 33, 5'4 (164cm) and approximately 20 stone (280 pounds).
One thing that came up in the psych assessment is that I am a heavy drinker, and this will hinder my attempts to lose weight (with or without surgery.)
The doctor said I need to decrease my drinking to 10 units a week, which is a lot less than I drink now.
I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience, and had to drastically reduce their alcohol intake, and how was their experience of that? Was it easy/difficult? Was it an issue post-surgery?
Thanks for your help.

Follow the advice of your medical professionals. talk with your surgeon/dietitian.

What you eat and drink will affect your weight loss outcome. Follow your surgeons meal plan. Is alcohol allowed on your plan? What stage is it allowed? How much is allowed?

Edited by afterthought

Hi there,

Just to be clear I am going to follow medical advice - I was advised by my doctor to post here to get some feedback about people's emotional and practical experience of cutting down significantly on alcohol.

Thanks for all your feedback so far, more welcome

I do not drink hard liquor or beer. Just no preference for it. But pre-VSG, I was very much a wine drinker. Not cheap rotgut stuff (no offense to anyone who enjoys $2 moscato). I would have a few glasses each night without fail. I was very concerned about what life would look like on the other side of my surgery as far as my enjoyment of fine wines.

A little over a week post-op, and shockingly, I have no craving for wine. No desire. It doesn’t turn me off, but I’m not missing it. Something I never would have believed could be true pre-surgery. I asked my doctor about wine specifically at my one-week appointment, and he said it would be fine to have it in very small amounts, just being mindful of the empty calories aspect, and that smaller amounts of wine would hit me much harder now. Unlike RNY patients, VSG patients don’t experience many of the same issues with alcohol damaging their digestive systems post-surgery and can often drink in small amounts after their surgery with minimal issues.

A few days ago, we had a small (socially distant!) outdoor gathering with friends. None of them know about my surgery. I knew it would raise all sorts of concerns if I didn’t drink at all, because everyone knows I love my wine, so I brought a cup with about 4oz of wine in it, which I took teensy tiny sips of over the course of a few hours. It was fine but I didn’t want any more.