Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Support Person Here -- Husband Having Surgery Next Week

Hi,

My husband is having surgery next week. He has been doing a great job with this pre-surgery diet but I want to make sure I am armed with information to make his post-op days successful. I have a few questions and would love any advice. First question -- post op he is on liquids only for 3 weeks. Can I put ice in his pre-made Protein Drinks to give him a bit of creamier, milkshake texture for change? Second question - we have a 13 year old son and I am not sure how to feed myself and my son while not totally sabotaging my husband's efforts or testing his temptations. We are going to focus on a high Protein, leafy green vegetable and fruit diet for ourselves but in the early stages what can I do to help my husband out?

Thanks!!!

1) ice is fine

2) to be honest, I didn't even bother trying to coordinate my meals with my husband's the first three or so weeks because my required diet was so specialized and so difficult to coordinate with his. We just ate/drank completely separate things and were fine with the fact it was temporary. Once I was on regular food - and told to eat Protein first, then veggies - I'd make him the same protein and veggies that I was eating, but I'd also prep some kind of starch for him - like rice or potatoes or bread.

i am a male also and going to try and help you out

I did not have a support wife or person but things you should try and do. You need to order a nutra bullet or similar device. Getting those drinks in line are really going to help. Once you master the way to make them they will be a treat for him. Mix them up - I am also a chef = yes you can add ice

Protein Drink, half a banana - and add the powder Vitamins to it =

Peanut Butter powder and banana powder are great! In other words you are making a Protein smoothie.

Now for the liquid phase there is not set time when his body is ready he will move phases. Take it slow!

I agree with above - Get a ton of vitamins and focus on protein for the phase one!

he has to eat slow and I mean pick and slow =

MY KEY ADVICE, TELL HIM TO MAN UP AND GET HIS ASS OUT OF BED ASAP AND MOVE MOVE MOVE AROUND THE HOSPITAL. THE FASTER HE MOVES AND GETS THE AIR OUT THE BETTER HE WILL FEEL.

FEEL free to PM or even call me

aj

Smothies.jpg

Vitamins.jpg

For the liquid stage make sure he consumes only what is on his post op guidelines. For the liquid stage it is liquids only, no blended fruits included...if that is what you meant by Protein smoothies.

If unclear in the very early stages refer to the post op guidelines given by the dietician or surgeon, if still uncertain contact the dietician or surgeon.

My liquids list included very low fat milk (skim), high protein milks, Protein Powder blended with milk or Water, fortified milks (such as ensure plus) as well as other liquids...your husband's list may be different.

1 hour ago, MichelleMG said:

So during the liquid only phase I can make him Protein smoothies? that would be wonderful as I think he will get tired of having plain Protein Drinks. His dr gave him Vitamins. I have several flavors of Protein Powder, frozen bananas, too

Ok but be a master blender and make these bad ass smoothies loaded with supplements and Vitamins and protein= it is the key trust me look at my stats!!!!!! Also find Jake on this site there are a few males that rocked this ****! Get him to call me or jake ......

8 minutes ago, WInston223322 said:

Ok but be a master blender and make these bad ass smoothies loaded with supplements and Vitamins and protein= it is the key trust me look at my stats!!!!!! Also find Jake on this site there are a few males that rocked this ****! Get him to call me or jake ......

Thank you!!! I have a vitamix so I'm ready!! I am going to compare the Vitamin and supplement ingredients to the Protein powders I already have.

1 hour ago, Hop_Scotch said:

For the liquid stage make sure he consumes only what is on his post op guidelines. For the liquid stage it is liquids only, no blended fruits included...if that is what you meant by Protein smoothies.

If unclear in the very early stages refer to the post op guidelines given by the dietician or surgeon, if still uncertain contact the dietician or surgeon.

My liquids list included very low fat milk (skim), high Protein milks, Protein Powder blended with milk or Water, fortified milks (such as ensure plus) as well as other liquids...your husband's list may be different.

My husband's liquid list is similar to yours. Thank you for clarifying as I would have probably thrown a banana in there.

I'm also a man who had an incredibly supportive spouse throughout the process.

The best thing you can do to support your husband is to be patient and understanding during the first several weeks. There will be mood swings, crankiness, extreme fatigue, possibly depression, and perhaps regret over having had the surgery (all of which pass). Just be there for him and offer emotional support. Let him vent if he wants to, don't give advice unless he asks for it, and let him rest when he needs to.

That doesn't answer the question you asked, but it's the best advice I have.

Congratulations and welcome to the ride... along.

The only advice I can think of (not that you asked 😂) is to let your husband pursue his goals, you pursue your (separate) goals and then find some goals in common to keep you connected.

Good Luck ❤

1 hour ago, GreenTealael said:

Congratulations and welcome to the ride... along.

The only advice I can think of (not that you asked 😂) is to let your husband pursue his goals, you pursue your (separate) goals and then find some goals in common to keep you connected.

Good Luck ❤

THE BEST ADVICE! 🌟 We MUST retain our individual as well as couple identity!💖

4 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

2 hours ago, Lily66 said:

THE BEST ADVICE! 🌟 We MUST retain our individual as well as couple identity!💖

Agree whole-heartedly on both counts.

Your husband will be better set up for success if he takes the responsibility upon himself to achieve it. Your support and encouragement will definitely help him 100%, but he also needs to be able make decision/choices/efforts on his own for long-term and sustained success.

Good Luck to Hubs!