Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New clothes during Shelter in Place

I'm curious what others are doing about clothes if you live in an area that's under extended Shelter In Place. Everything I have is too big, with much of it being absolutely unwearable (yay!). I don't want to buy too much since I'm still losing, but I do video conferences everyday so I need some things that work for work. I've tried ordering a few things online but I can't seem to get sizing right even when I measure. Anyone have any tips that have worked for you?

If you are only doing video conferences, then use a hair tie or binder clips to cinch up the back of your shirt! Save your $$ to buy even smaller sizes once the quarantine is over!! Also, angle yourself so only your shoulders and head are shown on camera if you feel self-conscious about it.

My work is saying we aren't going back until August or September. I'm looking forward to surprising everyone with a new tiny me!!

I'm also someone who has known the frustration of trying to figure out sizing for online ordering (I live in Japan so I have to buy everything online). Even when they give measurements, it still never comes out right. So I end up with a lot of unwearable clothes because they're not worth returning since the shipping is so expensive both ways. However I don't think that's as much of an issue for you being CA (California? Canada?)

That said, I have learned a few things along the way. Your shape is a big determiner to how well something fits. I'm pear-shaped, and it virtually impossible for me to find dresses to wear, since the bottoms need to be big and the tops small, but the majority of women would actually go for the opposite (and clothes are cut that way as a default). Even when I just order shirts, they tend to assume a lot more breast is there than actually is, so I've learned that with certain brands, even if my measurements are equal to theirs, that I have to order a size smaller for it to actually fit correctly. I'm a teacher and will be teaching online for the next 4 months, and I've noticed that the shirts that look best (I'm still wearing sweats which they can't see!) are simple, fitted v-necks (or scoop necks) with half or 3/4-length sleeves (hides the bat wings should you need (or tend) to lift your arms up). I also like that these shirts show my collarbones, something I haven't seen in quite a while! Also, I tend to wear a lot of cardigans in real life (useful for keeping pens, markers, etc. if they have pockets, and help with temp control when the aircon is too cold, or vice versa). I wear them for online conferencing too - they can mask shirts that are a little too big (or too small) and still make you look professional.

It’s been a good thing. I only work a couple days a week so I’ve bought limited bridging clothes to just get by vs a new wardrobe that goes obsolete in a few weeks. I’ve already reached the last hole on my NEW belt. Embrace the positives for sure .... for me, It’s a pain to return online clothes but it’s nothing compared to wasting a bunch of money having to be presentable at full time work just to have to reset my sizes again.

I've found cheap and nice leggings and tops on eBay. I have a bunch of my own too-big jeans listed on there to sell as well.

Try Poshmark

Thanks. I am using stretchy comfy pants that last sizes so that’s one good thing about working from home - no one really sees your pants. It’s tops are another story. I tend to scoop or v necks and they are falling off my shoulders and sagging very low in the chest. I will try some clips in the back to see if I can make them decent I can do returns but need to leave the house to do them and am avoiding that as much as possible so I’ll have to see if I can find a brand I like and figure sizing out for it

46 minutes ago, loridee11 said:

Thanks. I am using stretchy comfy pants that last sizes so that’s one good thing about working from home - no one really sees your pants. It’s tops are another story. I tend to scoop or v necks and they are falling off my shoulders and sagging very low in the chest. I will try some clips in the back to see if I can make them decent I can do returns but need to leave the house to do them and am avoiding that as much as possible so I’ll have to see if I can find a brand I like and figure sizing out for it

Another idea might be to wear a tank top under the tops that are becoming low cut in the chest!

ok i am a guy so I have done the homeless look for almost a year ..... Who cares just enjoy the new you! Go naked you are locked up so make fun of it ................ my kids yell at me when i wear my fatty clothes and look homeless

ENJOY THE MOMENT OF THE JOURNEY

Order a few inexpensive tops that you think will fit from Amazon and a few pair of nice yoga pants. I think it’s important to have something that fits and makes you feel good. It is a good motivator!

Amazon. And lots of comfy stretchy clothing during my weight loss stages especially. I would buy a little smaller but stretchy so I could shrink into it. Since surgery, I LOVE workout t-shirts and leggings. I would suggest get most of you clothing to be whatever is comfortable. Then have 2-3 video call appropriate shirts. But even when on video call, what co-workers are wearing varies. If a parent is part of the meeting (I work at a school), then we all dress up a little more. If it is just "us", I have seen it all! lol. Including pajamas, uncombed hair, tank tops, workout clothes and so on lol.

16 hours ago, MsMocie said:

Wait a minute, you can sell your big-girl clothes on ebay? *mindblown*.

I have given mine away on marketgroups on facebook😣 Perfectly good clothes, some of them still with the tag on!

I've sold some and donated some. The best stuff went to a friend who is my old size. But yeah, I have been buying and selling on eBay for over 10 years.