Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So... apparently this can happen...

Okay so, I had the Loop Duodenal Switch surgery in January 2020. I'm telling you this because it's a fact that DS and Loop DS tend to go to the bathroom... a lot. I was under the impression that Constipation just wouldn't be possible. But, I was wrong! I called my surgeons office and explained what was going on and she was confused and told me that I was the first patient they'd ever had with the Loop DS that had constipation issues. No joke. Her only explanation is I need to cut out the bananas that THEY told me to add in my diet for potassium and cut out the mulivitamins with Iron for three days because APPARENTLY my iron is working a little too well. -_-" THEN I need to cut down the amount of Multivitamins I take with iron and instead of three take two and then take one without. She also gave me some presciption that's supposed to help, but if it DOESN'T I have to take magnesium citrate that just the thought of makes me gag because I get flashbacks to the nasty taste from the day before my surgery... so nasty! T^T Anyway, I thought I'd share this with the DS and Loop DS people so they know it can happen... and I could use advice from people who have had this issue because it's been two days and I'm stressed!

I didn't have DS, but the sleeve. But I had issues with Constipation several times (2 times specifically it lasted about 2 weeks each! yikes.).

Milk of Magnesia and glycerin suppositories were my friends.

Hi, @NovaLuna, Sorry that you are having a bathroom issue. I know that its not fun or easy. I have the Loop done too, almost 1 year ago. I never had bathroom issues all that much until I started taking Iron for the anemia that showed up a few weeks ago. I have always taken only 1 bariatric Multivitamin for the past 7 months or so. I say this because for me I really think that the extra iron has been an issue. The only reason I went with one bariatric multi is because I didn't want to take anything more than what was necessary and all of my labs are great so, yea, take what is necessary based on Dr. and your blood work. Try lessening whatever has iron, especially if this was DR. orders, also how much Protein are you getting? It could be a combination of too much protein, too much iron, and not enough natural/healthy Fiber like veggies/fruit.

Personally I had a diarrhea issue in the very beginning. then everything seemed normal until the added iron a few weeks ago. I was told that iron can cause Constipation and that any WLS in general, constipation can be a side effect. It is all about trying what works for your body. Good luck!

I take Magnesium Citrate supplement pills for muscle cramps. You could try those instead of a liquid.

Consider using an Iron free multi and then adding in floradix herbal iron tablets. It’s non-constipating. Iron in Vitamins is not absorbable. That’s why it constipates people. Herbal iron is 100% absorbable and won’t do that. You can also add mag oxide to your vitamins and that will help as well.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:36 PM, ronjsteele1 said:

Consider using an Iron free multi and then adding in floradix herbal Iron tablets. It’s non-constipating. Iron in Vitamins is not absorbable. That’s why it constipates people. Herbal iron is 100% absorbable and won’t do that. You can also add mag oxide to your Vitamins and that will help as well.

Do they have chewable or liquid form because I have dysphagia due to my EOS right now and can't swallow pills and I can't get in to see my gastro doc until mid-July and who knows when they can schedule my Upper Endoscopy to stretch my throat... so I'm kind of stuck with no pills right now unless I can chew them or the meds come in liquid form.