Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can you be successful long-term with WLS if you’ve always failed

Had sleeve oct 2016 weighed 278. got down to 160! It was too easy. I wasn’t paying attention cause I would lose no matter what I did. After Covid and bad habits I’m back to 215. Feel like an absolute failure. This was my worst nightmare. I’ve hunkered down the past few weeks without any drop in weight. Like all the magic is gone. Take advantage of the honeymoon period, learn better habits. It’s horrible gaining it back especially when people know you had the surgery. Hope for a better 2021. And back under 180(my original goal). Good luck every one
I'm in the same boat and I am battling. We have to get back to the basics! Let's go! You did it before. You can do it again.

Sent from my moto g stylus using BariatricPal mobile app

On 5/8/2020 at 12:40 PM, summerset said:

In my opinion WLS is a magic bullet. It is the game changer when it comes to losing excess weight and maintaining the new weight.

We don't always succeed on the first try. Sometimes people need a second try or maybe even a third. Inadequate weight loss after lap band is quite common, revision to bypass also and many patients do quite good after revision. Maybe you want to do a quick medline search about this.

You're now a few years older and more experienced. Maybe you're now being able to handle problematic things in your life differently. You might also be more disciplined now when it comes to certain things. Think about your younger self and compare it to your now-self. I'm sure you're able to handle things way smoother than you did e. g. 10 years ago. The same can be true for this whole weight loss thing.

Of course there is the chance that you might fail again. There is always the chance of failing, doesn't matter if it's weight loss, learning a new language or performing at your job.

If we couldn't make these changes before any WLS at all, why is it possible for so many people after they had WLS? It just is because WLS is the game changer. Lapband is different. It doesn't provide the same hormonal changes a bypass does.

I always cringe when I read or hear this. "Dedicated". "Eliminate". "Avoid". Same with "struggling", "fighting" or "food is the enemy" etc. - being at war is so damn exhausting. Make peace with food. It's easier in the long run.

If you don't white-knuckle things you might discover something interesting: not all lifestyle changes are a struggle or need dedication in the long run. You might indeed discover (or re-discover if you were into sports in younger years) that exercise can be fun and fulfilling. Or that healthier food doesn't taste that bad. Or the opposite around, that this junk food is actually not as tasty as you always thought it is. You might discover, that when you feel more comfortable in your body and with yourself that you don't feel that need to eat in the same strong and overwhelming way. You might notice that you say "No, thanks but I don't want it now" when you get offered French fries or chocolate or whatever and really mean it.

However, there are many people who aren't able to maintain their "new lifestyle". I have no idea what makes or breaks this. I sometimes have thoughts in the back of my head that maybe some people are just lucky in reacting very good to WLS and don't actually need to watch their intake that much. They also don't live in the gym. When you browse around the board you're going to notice that maintenance calorie intake is very different in different people, even though their stats are quite similar.

Nobody can tell if WLS/revision to bypass is making it easy (or less hard) for you or not. I sometimes feel it's like playing the lottery. You won't know to what group of patients you will belong before you got the revision.

Short term weight loss doesn't really bring some benefits (someone correct me if I'm wrong please), however, one doesn't have to get to a normal weight to reap the benefit of weight loss. So many patients feel like "failures" because they don't get to a normal BMI. Yet, when you look at the studies actually not that much patients ever get down to a normal BMI.

And sh*t on "eliminating carbs". Like really take a big dump on it. (Years ago we should eliminate all fats, now it's carbs. I wonder what the future will bring.)

This is beautiful! Your advice really resonated with me. Thank you.

I had the lap band before and it didn't work. It didn't do anything to stop my hunger, it didn't change my metabolism, it didn't stop me from absorbing everything I ate... all it did was put a little speed bump from my esophagus to my stomach. Sometimes that speed bump would get stopped up and cause me crazy pain, sliming, and barfing. Usually healthy foods did that to me (chicken breast, broccoli, carrots, celery, lean steak, etc.). Unhealthy foods went down like a breeze so I could eat greasy cheeseburgers, cakes, Cookies, milkshakes, cheese fries, etc. without a problem. The lap band, essentially, trained me to eat junk food and avoid healthy food.

Then I got it revised to RNY and it has been a TOTAL game changer. There are a number of reasons it's working way better for me.

1) My physical appetite is gone. And I mean, GONE. Even if I swim (I'm always starving after I swim) or walk all day or do heavy manual labor... I just never want to eat.

2) Sugar is repulsive now. I don't want anything to do with ice cream, cakes, or cookies. Those used to be my favorite. I tried to take a sip of regular orange juice (because I remember how refreshing I used to find it) and gagged because it was just way, way too sweet.

3) I crave nutritious foods, mostly seafood and vegetables. Which is weird because I was never much of a veggie lover before. I only ate them because I felt like I had to.

4) I only absorb 75% of the food I eat, and I don't eat much to begin with so I've been dropping weight like crazy.

5) I get full, quickly.

6) If I try to eat something I shouldn't (like something high in fat) I'm immediately punished with a wave of nausea and I won't try it again.

All this factored together has made RNY a very powerful weight loss tool. If you are an emotional eater or food addict RNY would be torture. The head hunger definitely doesn't go away. While physically I don't want to eat, mentally I wish I still could. It's not because I eat to cope but because I just always loved food. I'm a foodie and I love cooking, baking, restaurants, trying new foods, etc. I can't have it anymore and it makes me a little sad but I've been killing myself from my "hobby" so it's time to let it go.

But if you're someone who is determined to eat because you feel like you HAVE to (like an emotional or addictive issue) you'll want to get therapy before having surgery. For me, that pain from over-eating is NOT worth it at all. It's very unpleasant and I eat very slowly to avoid it. But for some folks, the pain is worth it to eat what they want, and that's where re-gain/failure comes in. That and mindless snacking on simple carbs. You've gotta say no to the chips, crackers, and popcorn.

I recommend reading The Success Habits of Weight Loss Patients by Colleen N, Cook as well as getting several bariatric cookbooks. There are many of the cookbooks available on Amazon and other bookstore sites. If you have ever considered that you might be a sugar/food addict, also read Food Junkies by Vera Tarman.
1830050364_SuccessHabits.jpg.4ef406fd0ea76941714af6e230e1f7dd.jpg357772158_BariatricDietGuideCookbook.jpg.6c164c92b7bcb650061740f598131029.jpgCompleteBariatricCookbook.jpg.0279e5cc5ba736f6fa4f68e9bdb88c6c.jpgHighProteinCookbook.jpg.67e3e0dca6fa28a2084486b167b816ea.jpg2140334440_FoodJunkies.jpg.8d6dbd5bb03df48535d3c8373c0fe555.jpg

14 hours ago, Sunnyway said:

I recommend reading The Success Habits of Weight Loss Patients by Colleen N, Cook as well as getting several bariatric cookbooks. There are many of the cookbooks available on Amazon and other bookstore sites. If you have ever considered that you might be a sugar/food addict, also read Food Junkies by Vera Tarman.
1830050364_SuccessHabits.jpg.4ef406fd0ea76941714af6e230e1f7dd.jpg 357772158_BariatricDietGuideCookbook.jpg.6c164c92b7bcb650061740f598131029.jpg CompleteBariatricCookbook.jpg.0279e5cc5ba736f6fa4f68e9bdb88c6c.jpg HighProteinCookbook.jpg.67e3e0dca6fa28a2084486b167b816ea.jpg 2140334440_FoodJunkies.jpg.8d6dbd5bb03df48535d3c8373c0fe555.jpg

Sunny, I love your book recommendations. I am a bibliophile and yet I never read but one or two books on dieting or bariatric surgery. I've already purchased two of your recommendations and I was very happy that I did. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Sunny, I love your book recommendations. I am a bibliophile and yet I never read but one or two books on dieting or bariatric surgery. I've already purchased two of your recommendations and I was very happy that I did. Thank you.

I've read a ton of books in preparation for my revision surgery. This will be my THIRD bariatric surgery. The ones I had in 1980 and 1990 failed because staples pulled out due to peristalsis. I don't want to fail yet again so I'm getting really prepared.

Here are the boos I've read, not counting all the cookbooks. The ones with asterisks are particularly recommended.

How Weight Loss Surgery Really Works, by Matthew Weiner MD*
A Pound of Cure, by Matthew Weiner, MD (Plant-based food plan)*
Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies*
Food Junkies, by Vera Tarman*
Weight Loss Surgery Does Not Treat Food Addiction, by Connie Stapleton*
Why Diets Fail (because you're addicted to sugar) by Nicole Avens & John Talbott*
Bariatric Surgery and Food Addiction, by Philip Werdell (written for the clinician but I thought it valuable)*
The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients, by Colleen Cook*
Bright Line Eating, by Susan Peirce Thompson* (Plant-based food plan, more rigid than A Pound of Cure but with a lot of ongoing support)
Never Binge Again by Glenn Kiingston (I'm not a binger)
Food Addiction: The Body Knows, by Kay Sheppard (12-step)
From the First Bite: a Complete Guide to Recovery, by Kay Sheppard (12-step)
Lick the Sugar Habit, by Nancy Appleton (a bit outdated)
Weight Loss Surgery Success by Due Vuong, MD (brief, rather simplistic)
Living with Bariatric Surgery, by Denise Ratcliffe (memoir)
Gastric Bypass, The Secrets No One Tells You, by Heather Gottfried (memoir)

My doctor told me not to think of it as stomach surgery, but rather brain surgery because you’re changing the way your mind thinks about food. I was sleeved on 9/13 and when I woke up from anesthesia I felt RELIEVED, like it was the best decision I had ever made.

I can’t speak to the bypass, but with the sleeve I’ve felt almost no hunger, no cravings, AND the foods I am thinking about are way healthier… I don’t know why. I used to want pizza, Pasta, ice cream etc (just carbs and sugar!) constantly, and now I find myself thinking about salads and fish.

I don’t think it’s ever “easy” but I’ve never dropped weight like this before. I’m down 25lbs since 9/1 and every day when the scale shows me a lower number than the day before I’m still shocked that it’s working.

I hope this helps, good luck!

1 hour ago, GooseyGirl said:

My doctor told me not to think of it as stomach surgery, but rather brain surgery because you’re changing the way your mind thinks about food. I was sleeved on 9/13 and when I woke up from anesthesia I felt RELIEVED, like it was the best decision I had ever made.

I can’t speak to the bypass, but with the sleeve I’ve felt almost no hunger, no cravings, AND the foods I am thinking about are way healthier… I don’t know why. I used to want pizza, Pasta, ice cream etc (just carbs and sugar!) constantly, and now I find myself thinking about salads and fish.

I don’t think it’s ever “easy” but I’ve never dropped weight like this before. I’m down 25lbs since 9/1 and every day when the scale shows me a lower number than the day before I’m still shocked that it’s working.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Oh my God, it's so true, and such a relief.

My daughter made a box of Annie's mac 'n cheese. I tried one tiny bite (and chewed it into a paste) and it was disgusting... tasted like moldy sawdust to me! Before surgery I would have killed a whole box on my own. I'm dreaming of shrimp and snow peas for some reason... it'll be a while before I can do that.

I made her a peach crostata with the last of the summer peaches and had literally zero urge to try it.

2 hours ago, GooseyGirl said:

Don't forget that this effect of the surgery will only last for 6-12 months. You MUSt learn how to eat differently and not rely upon the surgical effect.

If you are a sugar/carb addict (and it sounds like you are) please read this book: Food Junkies by Vera Tarman or Weight Loss Surgery Does Not Cure food Addiction by Connie Stapleton,.

2114769694_FoodJunkies.jpg.4cdb4a8cc3c18833ef2e90c2755dfb05.jpg 1034612594_WeightLossSurgerDoesNotTreatFoodAdiction.jpg.79a58a97fa47f9015bcdc52965e7b047.jpg

I couldn’t agree more- the people I know in life who haven’t kept the weight off long term had zero desire to change their eating habits- they just relied on the surgery to limit portions. That works for a while, but not for long.

I’m close to 11 months out, and I don’t eat the same foods that I used to. I used to be a carb freak, and loved snack foods and candy and the like. I’m over a year candy free, and I just don’t bring snack foods in the house anymore. The surgery gave me time to detox from some very bad habits, and I’m committing each day to not backsliding.

14 hours ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

I’m close to 11 months out, and I don’t eat the same foods that I used to. I used to be a carb freak, and loved snack foods and candy and the like. I’m over a year candy free, and I just don’t bring snack foods in the house anymore. The surgery gave me time to detox from some very bad habits, and I’m committing each day to not backsliding.

Bravo!Two of the best food plans I've encountered are described in the books, A Pound of Cure, by Michael Weiner, MD, and Bright Lines Eating. by Susan Peirce Thompson, PhD. Both are plant-centric food plans, which allow limited animal and dairy products. The later is the more structured but provides much more support. Weiner, on the other hand, has a a website and a whole series of YouTube videos about WLS and his food plan.

Both advocate against eating sugar, flour, wheat, and processed food. The cookbook by Weiner, Bariatric Guide and Cookbook is excellent for all stages following WLS.

Pre-surgery I have been following A Pound of Cure and have lost 1/3 of my excess weight, 50 lbs. It's a plan one can live with with or without WLS.

A Pound Of Cure.jpg

Bright Lines Eating.jpg

Edited by Sunnyway