Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise suggestions and looking for Fitbit friends!

*Note to admin: please move to exercise forum, wasn't paying attention when I posted there was a more appropriate place to post*

Howdy y'all! I hope everyone is doing well in these weird and awkward times we are living in.

So first off, I splurged for myself and bought a Versa 2 Fitbit (I had the Alta for the longest time)for the heartrate and spo2 monitoring among other things to help motivate me to move more. If you want to add me on Fitbit my username is ajb1029 and I welcome any and all (especially you competitive people with your billions of steps-I love a good challenge)!

Second, my surgeon wants me to be at 60 minutes of aerobic activity like 6 days a week by the time surgery comes around (hopefully shooting for November-December) to help have the habits in place to be successful but also to have my body in the best condition possible for the surgery. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to get that in? I am trying to work up to it, getting 30 minutes in at least 3-4 days a week. I bought a Wii and Wii Fit Plus and a balance board and it has been a blast except the max weight is 330 and I'm at 347, I think my fat ass may have broke it as it will lose its connection at really random times (usually when I'm 120% invested in a workout game). I will probably buy another board and then just store it until I am down around 300lbs. I can still use the wii fit plus game(it has workouts that are not wholly dependent on the balance board). Who out there has other game suggestions-either for the Wii or another gaming console(I love to dance!)or workout videos you really enjoy-I can't stand it if it feels like work-It is now May in Texas and unfortunately it is starting to get hot...the summer is my hibernation season(I do my hiking in fall-spring). I do still take my dog out for walks in the evening but she, like me, tends to be miserable in any weather over 80 degrees.

Look forward to your suggestions and hope to see you on Fitbit!

-Amanda

Edited by ajb1029
Note to admin added

There are fun, inexpensive classes like aerobics on Zoom right now. I like having an instructor and set time, but if that doesn't matter there are a lot on YouTube. Also, if you can swing it, maybe get a treadmill? A lot of people are Spring cleaning and unloading things they don't use.

I do Pilates for my bad back and long, lean muscles, run my dogs, which is somewhat challenging with a mask, and run on my treadmill. I've come a long way. My back was so bad before my surgery, my only exercise was physical therapy!

Good luck, sounds like you are doing great!

I do cross fit now but when i was in your situation i used online video training on my Elipitical and Bike

The VR online is a great tool to use

When I first started, I just walked (like once around the block). Now I'm running (about 30-40 mins a day/session).

If you like to dance, may I suggest: TAP DANCING! I took it up in January this year and went to a few classes (but had to stop because it was hindering my plastics recovery, but I digress...) Anyway, I wanted to get back to it (I mean I have these awesome tap shoes that I bought and everything) and since quarantine prevents me from going to classes, I found some videos on YouTube to practice with. Not as fun as being in a room full of wanna-be tap dancing crazies, but good enough for now :)

It really works up a sweat and is surprisingly a pretty good leg and core workout.

Edited by ms.sss

I have been doing a lot of walking lately. Not sure if that is an option for you. Another place to go for exercise videos is Youtube. I have found so many different things to do, even dance classes! I think you have a great attitude and will do great!

Going to echo what others have said about dance workout videos on Youtube! I'm glad there isn't a camera in my house, as I probably look like a deranged version of Sweatin to the Oldies, but it's so much fun and a great workout!

I also have some hand weights, and I like to do weights while I watch TV.

Thank you everyone for the replies! I had not even considered YouTube video workouts! I do plan on getting some weights and beginning to tone and build muscle. Anything to help me be as successful as possible come that surgery day and beyond!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app