Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm one year out of my VSG surgery. I have GERD really bad. NO meds have helped. I also feel like food gets stuck in my throat. My doc has set me up for an EGD. Depending on the results, he said we would probably revise my sleeve to a bypass. What is the success like? I have gained 30 lbs. back. I am so embarrassed. Will the bypass help me get more weight off??

4 hours ago, Tracyringo said:

Where is your Protein ? Do you feel sick or sluggish ? I am sorry to hear about the alcohol. Did the drinking start before the sleeve?

that's not every day... tonight we are going out and i will prob. have either fish or steak.

@Tracyringo It's not like that at all. my alcohol is (one drink) about 2-3 x a week. I was never told to not... just to watch the cals. and i do. I drank post Band, after band, post sleeve and after....

When i do have a cocktail.... it takes me hours to drink it...

1 hour ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

that's not every day... tonight we are going out and i will prob. have either fish or steak.

@Tracyringo It's not like that at all. my alcohol is (one drink) about 2-3 x a week. I was never told to not... just to watch the cals. and i do. I drank post Band, after band, post sleeve and after....

When i do have a cocktail.... it takes me hours to drink it...

Whew, thanks for clearing that up, lol.

Do you try to get your 60 gm of Protein a day ?

Either way you are doing great

On 5/26/2020 at 4:02 PM, BayougirlMrsS said:

Have a question and it may sound stupid..... but if you already had the sleeve and now have the RNY..... How can there be no restriction? Did the dr not re cut the sleeve to make it small again? or did they just do the MGB... / by pass?

Okay saw the surgeon and I do have the bypass. He says my pouch is the size of a shot glass and that full liquids will just slide through it and that is why I haven't felt the restriction. He said as soon as I start back on solid Protein I will fill it.

1 hour ago, zippy609 said:

I'm one year out of my VSG surgery. I have GERD really bad. NO meds have helped. I also feel like food gets stuck in my throat. My doc has set me up for an EGD. Depending on the results, he said we would probably revise my sleeve to a bypass. What is the success like? I have gained 30 lbs. back. I am so embarrassed. Will the bypass help me get more weight off??

Have you tried Dexilant ?

That sleeve will give you restriction with all foods. That wont be the case with the bypass. ( at least not for me and others posting on this page) If you read through this thread there are a couple of ladies who have posted how much weight they have lost and how much harder it is . I am sure if your Dr. feels you need a revision you will lose the 30 lbs but something is telling me it will be harder to keep off if you are using the sleeves restriction to tell you when to stop eating. I am only a week in but that is what it is feeling like to me at this time. GL

5 hours ago, yams2510 said:

But with bypass isn't the dumping syndrome the physical restriction? ( I'm new here and doing my research) , please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using BariatricPal mobile app

No the dumping is individual. Some people dump and some don't.

I 100% agree with you. I miss my sleeve. I was on the way to getting esophageal cancer from GERD...Btw, I still have acid problems, just not as bad....so I had to get revised to the bypass. I hate it. I can't possibly understand how less stomach let's me eat more?? Idk, I feel like I am. I've only lost 20lbs in 2+ months also. So miserable and nauseous all of the time, don't get me started on toilet stuff....ugh. HATE THIS

13 hours ago, zippy609 said:

My male friend started at 500 lbs. and lost 100 with the sleeve. He has a serious eating disorder he has tried to get help for for years. When he stopped losing at 400 he got a revision to the bypass and has lost another 100 lbs. He really needed something where he could not binge like he used to.

I think you should do it for the GERD and it's likely you may lose more depending on your habits.

4 hours ago, Christina.Rose said:

I 100% agree with you. I miss my sleeve. I was on the way to getting esophageal cancer from GERD...Btw, I still have acid problems, just not as bad....so I had to get revised to the bypass. I hate it. I can't possibly understand how less stomach let's me eat more?? Idk, I feel like I am. I've only lost 20lbs in 2+ months also. So miserable and nauseous all of the time, don't get me started on toilet stuff....ugh. HATE THIS

Unless you are eating dense Protein it slides right on through is what I was told by the surgeon yesterday. He told me my pouch was the size of a shot glass and I will feel the restriction when I move to dense Proteins. How much dense protein can you eat ? I am lucky I guess no nausea. Are you taking anything for it ? They gave me meds for it but I haven't taken any. I am afraid of toilet, lol !

13 hours ago, Tracyringo said:

Okay saw the surgeon and I do have the bypass. He says my pouch is the size of a shot glass and that full liquids will just slide through it and that is why I haven't felt the restriction. He said as soon as I start back on solid Protein I will fill it.

That's great and i was thinking that it was prob because you are still doing liq. I have a very good friend that had GB in 1999.... she lost about 150lbs maybe more. a few years ago she started gaining and is so depressed. I can hear it in her voice when we talk. She has no other issues, she told me last night that she is on a diet and lost 11lbs so far.... My job is to just be a friend and encourage her.

She has mentioned trying to get another WLS, but i don't want to tell her bad advice. I simply told her to look into the DS.... which i think maybe the only option except for band over BP.

> Sleeve made me really ill and might cause cancer
> I miss my sleeve

Can someone please explain the logic here?

With the sleeve, she felt the restriction when eating right away. Not as much now with the bypass. I had a mini gastric bypass and I feel the restriction, but it’s also the only weight loss surgery I’ve had, so that may play into it.

Also, I love sweets and savoury, cheesy goods. But they played a major role in my weight gain over the years. Along with little exercise, they helped make me fat and unhealthy. Yet I still miss them. Where’s the logic in that?

2 hours ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

That's great and i was thinking that it was prob because you are still doing liq. I have a very good friend that had GB in 1999.... she lost about 150lbs maybe more. a few years ago she started gaining and is so depressed. I can hear it in her voice when we talk. She has no other issues, she told me last night that she is on a diet and lost 11lbs so far.... My job is to just be a friend and encourage her.

She has mentioned trying to get another WLS, but i don't want to tell her bad advice. I simply told her to look into the DS.... which i think maybe the only option except for band over BP.

21 years ago wow. How much has she regained in 2 years ? Well I will tell you had I had this revision due to weight gain I would be very upset right now. It is not at all like I thought it would be. I just had Breakfast and ate a whole scrambled egg with parmesan cheese no problem. Has she talked to a surgeon ?

On 5/29/2020 at 10:13 AM, Tracyringo said:

21 years ago wow. How much has she regained in 2 years ? Well I will tell you had I had this revision due to weight gain I would be very upset right now. It is not at all like I thought it would be. I just had Breakfast and ate a whole scrambled egg with parmesan cheese no problem. Has she talked to a surgeon ?

well she is about 5'6" and she got to a size 2-4... which was skinny.... over the years... now she back to about a size 14ish.... i would say she put on at least 50lbs.... Her SX retired. So check with another and it doesn't look good. She is a bit up in age... 60 i think

Stop complaining okay there's people out there who can't even get surgery either due to insurance or lack of money so be thank full