Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG Regain 6 Years Post Op

I had my surgery in June of 2014. I got down to 175 but I am now back up to 213. I started yesterday back on my preop full liquid diet. I am determined to get this weight back off. Years ago, this forum was so inspirational to me. A lot of the people I followed have not posted in years. I wonder what happened to them and how they are doing.

I am hoping a veteran can offer advice on how I can successfully shed these pounds!

It seems to be pretty common for people to be active on forums (and in post-op support groups for that matter) for a year or two and then disappear. They've just moved on with their lives and don't feel like they really need it anymore, I guess. I stick around because it keeps my head in the game - and there are a few of us still around here, I'm guessing for the same reason - but most people do disappear after awhile. And not just on this forum - I've seen it on others and....as I mentioned...in post-op in-person support groups, too.

I'm battling with losing a 10-lb gain. I've always monitored myself really closely (weighed myself several times a week and track every bite of food that I eat), so I just cut back on calories by about 200/day and increased my exercise. It works, but it's S-L-O-W going. But then, I'm 4 lbs overweight (according to the BMI charts), so I wasn't expecting any huge, quick drops. One-two lbs a month was about what I expected - unless I was willing to drop to sub-1000 calories or something, which I wasn't...

regain once you're a few years out is pretty common. The trick is to catch it and deal with it before it gets out of hand. There are some vets who've had success with programs such as WW, Keto, and IF - so you could always try one of those if your current method isn't doing the trick. Lots of people have managed to re-lose their regains, so it can be done!

Edited by catwoman7

Thanks so much for your reply. I am determined! I know that I am a stress eater. I have recently completed my doctoral program, so the stress level should be much less now. I’m on my 3rd day of full liquids, and I am already down 4 pounds. I’m not actually hungry; it’s just a head game. I already am feeling the benefits. My goal for the moment is to get below 200. I’m taking it one step at a time, and I’ve realized the importance of the support I receive here. I don’t want to be a failure statistic! I am going to do this.

11 minutes ago, Gammy10 said:

Thanks so much for your reply. I am determined! I know that I am a stress eater. I have recently completed my doctoral program, so the stress level should be much less now. I’m on my 3rd day of full liquids, and I am already down 4 pounds. I’m not actually hungry; it’s just a head game. I already am feeling the benefits. My goal for the moment is to get below 200. I’m taking it one step at a time, and I’ve realized the importance of the support I receive here. I don’t want to be a failure statistic! I am going to do this.

congrats on finishing your doctoral degree! I was headed in that direction at one time, but gave up that dream. But I have two masters degrees, so I sort of get grad school stress (although I know a gazillion people with PhD's, including family members, so I know that is WAY more intense!!!!). So yes - I totally understand the stress eating!!