Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing my hair! Anyone else, and what can help??

Hello all:

I underwent a gastric sleeve on February 26, 2020. I was told that this type of surgery can cause Hair loss. .... but we hear what we want to hear. I'm losing my hair at an alarming rate. Anyone else experiencing this? In addition to that problem, my weight loss is at a crawl. Since February 26 I've lost only 16 pounds.... so now I won't just be fat, - I'll be fat and bald. Any input would be much appreciated.

Best,

Grace

This was also a big fear of mine. I've been taking a Biotin supplememt daily since surgery 1/31 and haven't noticed Hair loss (yet). I also only wash my hair once a week since I'm working from home.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/sports-research-biotin-with-organic-coconut-oil-10-000-mcg-120-veggie-softgels/71104

1) Hair loss is pretty common, but temporary. Mine started in month 5 and went on for about three months. It'll grow back.

2) weight loss slows down quite a bit after the first month. I lost 10-12 lbs per month during months 2-6. At about the six-month mark, it dropped down to about 5-8 lbs a month. So that is normal.

I started out at 373 lbs and lost over 200 lbs, so a decrease in weight loss the further out you get doesn't mean you won't ultimately get to your goal. Just stick to your plan since your level of commitment will have the greatest impact on your final results.

1) Hair loss is pretty common, but temporary. Mine started in month 5 and went on for about three months. It'll grow back.

2) weight loss slows down quite a bit after the first month. I lost 10-12 lbs per month during months 2-6. At about the six-month mark, it dropped down to about 5-8 lbs a month. So that is normal.

I started out at 373 lbs and lost over 200 lbs, so a decrease in weight loss the further out you get doesn't mean you won't ultimately get to your goal. Just stick to your plan since your level of commitment will have the greatest impact on your final results.

Every morning I’m using a Biotin patch ordered from PatchMD.com. So far so good, no Hair loss yet but ‘‘tis still early...hoping for the best. Nurse practitioner told me to be sure and take Iron as that affects hair loss, as well.

I've heard of it starting up as late as six months post-op (mine started up at five months out), so don't get too complacent if you've made it the first two or three months with no Hair loss - it could still happen.

I don't know that there's much you can do about it other than stay on top of your supplements so it doesn't get any worse than it already is going to be. Some people claim Biotin works for them, others say it didn't do a damn thing (and some get facial hair from it - but it didn't do much for the hair on their head).

luckily, most people just "shed" rather than lose clumps of hair, so you're likely the only one who will notice the loss. Yes - some people do lose a lot - but majority don't loose enough for others to notice.

I can't help much with the Hair loss, but with regards to your weight loss, did I misunderstand what you wrote in one or two of your prior posts, and I am going by memory now....your start weight was 202lb, you lost 14lb pre surgery? In about nine weeks you have lost 16lbs...so if my memory is mostly correct you have lost about 15% of your start weight and about 9% of your surgery day weight.

I know you don't see it but you've been doing pretty good and being older, shorter and at a lower weight you aren't going to lose big chunks of weight.

Mine started falling out at 4 months post op. It's pretty dramatic every time I wash my hair, but so far no visible bald spots. I've been taking Biotin since the start and I'm not sure it's helping, but I like the taste of the gummies so I still take them!

Right at three months I cut my hair--I figured if it was going to fall out anyway I ought to go ahead and donate it to Pantene Great Lengths so someone could enjoy it...😁

I think Hair loss is common for most gastric surgery patients, usually somewhere in the 3-6 month range post-op. Then it'll last 1-3 months. That's what happened to me with my first surgery and now that I'm 2 months post-op on my second I'm much more aware of the hair that seems to be falling out. I've done Biotin supplements, shampoos, and conditioners, and I don't know if they help or not, but hair loss happened regardless. Unless you already have really thin hair, it probably won't be noticeable to anyone but you and your hairdresser. I did notice the first time this happened that the hairline at my temples got really bare, so I did have to try different styles (or avoid others) to hide it, but otherwise it was okay.

My doctors said the surgery & sudden reduced food intake is a shock to our system and one of the side effects is that our normal Hair loss cycle accelerates.

My dietician advised there was nothing much that could be done except keep up my Multivitamins & ensure I meet my Protein requirements. Biotin, silica, collagen, & other supplements to benefit your hair will only make your new growth stronger & not reduce the hair loss. Your hair itself is dead and regularly sheds like our skin cells. It’s just happening faster.

My loss began at about month 3 and started to slow at about month 10. It’s pretty well back to normal now & I can feel it’s thickening again. I lost a good 50% of my hair. Thank gracious I had a lot of it to begin with.

Pretty common. Mine started at 4 months. From what I've read, the actual Hair loss is from the hair follicles starting to regrow NEW hair that is pushing out the old dead hair. So try to think of it as a positive - you're getting new hair! I had mine cut short prior to surgery because I knew the loss would be less dramatic and traumatic when it started to show up in the shower drain. I think it has all grown back, but it is thinner/finer than it used to be. I took megadoses of Biotin as soon as I could after surgery. I don't think it helped at all.

PS: It would be helpful for us to track your progress if you could update your profile.

I've recently noticed Hair loss as well. I can't tell by just looking at my head, but I've had tons of hair in my brush and when I pull my hair in a ponytail it feels really small in the diameter. I just ordered Biotin from Amazon, and am hoping it will help!!

Hang in the there on the weight loss! Sometimes our bodies stall, then whoosh, you lose 5lbs in one week. Stick to your plan and it will happen!

I noticed Hair loss starting a few weeks ago (mid way through month 3). Now I am seeing a scary amount of hair coming out in the shower. I have really fine hair so it makes me nervous but I knew going in it was a possibility. So far no bald Patches and it looks OK when it's down but if that changes I'll figure out if I need to cut it, where it up, etc... I have been taking Biotin since pre-surgery but as said, it just helps the new hair (Oh - and my nails look fabulous :) )

55 minutes ago, loridee11 said:

I noticed Hair loss starting a few weeks ago (mid way through month 3). Now I am seeing a scary amount of hair coming out in the shower. I have really fine hair so it makes me nervous but I knew going in it was a possibility. So far no bald Patches and it looks OK when it's down but if that changes I'll figure out if I need to cut it, where it up, etc... I have been taking Biotin since pre-surgery but as said, it just helps the new hair (Oh - and my nails look fabulous :) )

OHHHH Biotin helps your nails? Interesting!

On 5/4/2020 at 8:31 AM, ChubRub said:

I've recently noticed Hair loss as well. I can't tell by just looking at my head, but I've had tons of hair in my brush and when I pull my hair in a ponytail it feels really small in the diameter. I just ordered Biotin from Amazon, and am hoping it will help!!

Hang in the there on the weight loss! Sometimes our bodies stall, then whoosh, you lose 5lbs in one week. Stick to your plan and it will happen!

I’m in a stall and needed the hope that one day I could see 5lbs down🔥! I’ve been on Biotin for about 6 weeks—has done zilch for my hair but nails are much stronger and growing! Get ready for 5lbs down Grace!💃😀!