Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All!!
I’m Nokomis, and I’m approved for the gastric sleeve. I was supposed to have it in March, but due to the covid pandemic it was delayed until June. As my new date approaches, I’m becoming very scared about loose skin. I know it’s inevitable, but is there any way to minimize it? Has anyone tried anything they found that worked for them? Thanks for the advice in advance!

Loose skin is inevitable for most. I addressed mine with Plastic Surgery.

But if you are lucky (not alot of weight to lose, are young, good genes, etc), you *may* come out unscathed.

But IMO, I would take loose skin over 100 lbs of excess fat any day (but that’s just me).

Good Luck! ❤️

1 hour ago, Nokomis said:

Hello All!!
I’m Nokomis, and I’m approved for the gastric sleeve. I was supposed to have it in March, but due to the covid pandemic it was delayed until June. As my new date approaches, I’m becoming very scared about loose skin. I know it’s inevitable, but is there any way to minimize it? Has anyone tried anything they found that worked for them? Thanks for the advice in advance!

I think many of us had that fear of loose skin pre surgery. Look at all the before and after photos (link below) Even with loose skin people look so much healthier, younger and happier. None of these people would let loose skin stop them from being healthy and have WLS.

I used to weigh 373 lbs. Loose skin vs. weighing almost 400 lbs? It's a no-brainer. And yes - I used to worry about it too when I was pre-op and an early post-op, but I think most of us who've been around for awhile and lost a truckload of weight wonder why we wasted even one brain cell worrying about it. I actually did have mine removed - no one knew it was there because it was really easy to hide in clothes, but I got tired of looking at it (e.g., when I was in the shower) and didn't like the way it slapped up against me when I exercised. But here is a picture of me before I had the loose skin removed. See it? Trust me, there was a lot of it..

prepscrop.thumb.JPG.bc1d7314bb39dbc90dff23a20925bec2.JPG

Edited by catwoman7

On 05/02/2020 at 11:07, ms.sss said:

Loose skin is inevitable for most. I addressed mine with plastic surgery.

But if you are lucky (not alot of weight to lose, are young, good genes, etc), you *may* come out unscathed.

But IMO, I would take loose skin over 100 lbs of excess fat any day (but that’s just me).

Good Luck! ❤️

Thanks so much for the response:) I’m not young (37) but I have been working out and drinking Water and what not. I suppose I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. :)

On 05/03/2020 at 00:44, catwoman7 said:

I used to weigh 373 lbs. Loose skin vs. weighing almost 400 lbs? It's a no-brainer. And yes - I used to worry about it too when I was pre-op and an early post-op, but I think most of us who've been around for awhile and lost a truckload of weight wonder why we wasted even one brain cell worrying about it. I actually did have mine removed - no one knew it was there because it was really easy to hide in clothes, but I got tired of looking at it (e.g., when I was in the shower) and didn't like the way it slapped up against me when I exercised. But here is a picture of me before I had the loose skin removed. See it? Trust me, there was a lot of it..

prepscrop.thumb.JPG.bc1d7314bb39dbc90dff23a20925bec2.JPG

Wow! I don’t see it at all! Great job on your results!!

Loose skin better than full skin. I am out 7 years. At my lowest weight since surgery I was bothered by my saggy stomach, thighs and arms. But then I gained back 60 pounds and wished my skin was so loose again. I have lost 40 of that gain but it was triggered by a breast cancer recurrence. Now I have flat stomach, new fake breast from that stomach fat and skin and saggy arms again. I realize that I worried about that shit too much. Health is what matters. If you can afford the PS I will tell you that the Tummy Tuck I got with reconstruction was free but very painful and I have a high pain threshold. But it’s a temporary few weeks of pain.

I was low BMI, 30 BMI. I lost 60 pounds and I even deal with it. It’s pretty inEvitable. I’m starting to research surgery options now. I am a year and two months postop

This is a very real fear of mine also! The last time I was this big, I lost 70 lbs naturally, but had very little loose skin. I was still in my 20s then and I lifted weights and worked out 5-6 days/wk, which I think helped. I’m 32 now, so I worry about how different my skin’s elasticity may be at present. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take a bit of loose skin if it means I can stop the threat of chronic illness and this joint pain, but I’m definitely concerned about it. I’ll be saving for plastic surgery anyhow.

I think everyone worries about the loose skin..

It was in the back of my mind but I felt it's worth it for a new life and ffwd 8 months and I've shed 154lbs and I've been very lucky with minimal skin issues mostly on my lower belly and arms but not that noticeable unless naked LoL

I've been told as time goes on it may bounce back and when the covid-19 issues go away I'll be looking into gym and toning up over the next year...

I'll be 36 this year but I feel and look better than I have in 20 years.