Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here is my plan as I start this journey.

I am enrolled in a 90 Day program to acquire insurance approval for the gastric bypass surgery. During this time I have to prepare mentally and physically to accept and adhere to a 600 calorie diet after surgery, learn to excercise regularly, stop smoking, stop drinking alcohol. All of which are very positive life changes that I am ready to welcome. I don't expect it to be easy, in fact I try not to think about how hard it is really going to be.

Here is a short summary of how I envision the process.

Starting this week I am adhering to a strict 1500 calorie diet, June 1st it will reduce to a 1200 calorie diet, July 1st to a 900 calorie diet. Right now I do not see how this will be possible but that is the plan to be ready for a 600 calorie diet by August 1st.

Bad habits to correct are smoking and drinking. I plan to stop drinking as quickly as possible so I can focus on stop smoking. I plan to begin the stop smoking process on June 1st by stopping the drinking first I will eliminate one of the motivators to smoke prior to starting this process. I hope to be smoke free before July 1st. This will give me a month to really focus on being prepared mentally and physically for the surgery.

I would appreciate any ideas, thoughts, concerns, or suggestions to my plan that could help me be successful.

Thank you!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." --Margaret Mead

Having a plan is important to any success.

Rewarding success is also important - have you thought about how you will Celebrate your successes?

Great Plan - Only thing i can say as a Drinker and Smoker and one who slammed the WLS journey is that is alot to bite off at one time, But If you can do it Go for it!

The surgery is a tool that will enable you to run the journey. Your calorie plan is a great one, Almost identical to my plan that my Nutritionist set up for me. But be careful Do not focus so much on Calories make sure you focus on healthy foods to get those calories in. Do some research here on Vitamins and supplements this is going to be a challenge that most of us struggled with at the beginning.

Have fun and welcome to the Losers club! Weight that is

I am so amazed at the amount of pointless calories that come from drinking. It is my first habit to overcome. My plan is to decrease aggressively. Any suggestions to support would be appreciated.

I quit smoking and drinking but not in the same timeframe. I quit smoking 21 years ago, and drinking 5 years ago. Smoking was definitely harder, I used nicotine gum, Patches and a drug (not sure, I was on it for 2 months) that helped.

Quitting drinking was easier, however, only after I asked for and received counseling. I now drink mostly plain old Water, but I have club soda with citrus, Decaf ice coffee with sugar free Creamer, or even a spicy V8 to mix it up a bit. If you feel like you are having trouble quitting, talk to your Doctor, there’s nothing to be ashamed of. My drinking was tied to my anxiety, which is very common.

Best of luck to you! There’s help out there, *(smoking, eating & drinking) take advantage of it if you think it will benefit you.

Edited by Cheeseburgh

They have medications to help you stop drinking and smoking now, if you want to ask your Dr. about it. Good luck!