Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you keep surgery a secret? What did you tell people?

10 months out. I’m still keeping my surgery a secret. Sort of. Besides for my parents siblings and two good friends I can trust. I don’t think it’s anyone’s business. When someone asks me what I’m doing I shrug it off or tell them I’m eating healthier- which is the honest truth.

04/30/2020 01:21 PM, catwoman7 said:

you've got a wonderful excuse - you're going in for hernia repair! That's all people need to know for now - that is, anyone who needs to know why you're away from work - and most people don't even need to

Ok I’m doing this on my phone and I’m not sure exactly how to do this quoting thing sorry abt that... this is mine:

Hernia repair... That’s exactly what I’ve told people. It’s an awesome excuse. My mother is a PA and was struggling to get blood from my chains so she asked her college to. He wanted to know why I needed a pre op blood test. I didn’t know what to say. My mom was like- o she’s having a hernia repaired! I didn’t even know abt the hernia until my pre op endoscopy. But yes it is an awesome excuse

No one in my family even know about the SX at all..... i live out of state. Only people that knew was co workers and a couple of people hubby worked with. And they were told exactly what i told him to say...... having a hernia repaired..... Which i did.....

Hubby is so good now if people ask and he is around........ he jumps in and says.... She changed her eating habits... Which i did.

This weekend will be a challenge.....His parents are coming to spend the weekend with us and will be eating Breakfast, lunch and dinner around me...... Ughhhh

15 years later and only my immediate family and (of course) physicians know.

On 5/21/2020 at 9:39 AM, CrisT said:

Luclily, I was driving after I was released from the hospital. My mom drove from the hospital to her house , then I drove myself home which is about 25 minutes away. Then picked up my kids after school from aftercare.

Wow, you weren't on pain meds? Guess you're a mom with kids - pain means nothing 🤗😂

Like many others, I am extremely private. When I got my lap band years ago, I told no one, except my assistant. She was the one who went to the surgery center with me. Pass forward, I had an emergency which the band had to removed, I had to tell my sister. This time when I was deciding on VSG, I included her in the narrative. However, due to COVID, I had to go to the hospital alone, since I use to work there, I was comfortable. As I work in healthcare, we continue to work from home. Whenever we return to the office, many knew I was doing Keto and also having a GI surgery which was postponed due to COVID. I have already decided when folks ask, which they will, I am still doing Keto..lol

Hi all! What are some good Facebook pages to join with pseudo accounts? Any good Bypass pages? #secretMeow

Edited by MaybeMeow

4 hours ago, Ostflicka said:

Wow, you weren't on pain meds? Guess you're a mom with kids - pain means nothing 🤗😂

Lol didn't need them except maybe a couple of times if I tried to do too much around the house.

I am honestly considering not telling my husband when I go for it. He does know that I am considering it but doesn’t know how serious I am about it. Let just say that he is not supportive about, but it’s MY journey, so my opinion ( and my surgeons) is the only one that matters :) <3

I've only told a few friends, my cousin and my immediate family. most of my family (aunts, uncles, grandmother) have no idea. they're kind of judgmental so I'll keep it to myself until I'm ready to tell them. my friends are super supportive and have offered to help w/taking me to and from the hospital & to watch my doggo and kitten while im in.

I’m not planning on telling anyone aside from 4 family members that I’m having surgery. Did anyone else keep their surgery a secret? How did that work for you?

I’m asking because I work at a place that has extreme fat shaming practices and has terribly discriminatory practices as well. Unfortunately discrimination against overweight employees in my state isn’t illegal. I’m using some of my PTO time and having a hernia repair too.
I have a huge ventral hernia from an accident. This is the first step to getting this fixed. I've been to the hospital many times with blockages. My doctor thinks he can get me in much sooner than the 6 months because of this. I'm not telling very many anything other than I'm having the first of two surgeries to repair my hernia. Good luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G970U using BariatricPal mobile app

Like many others, I am extremely private. When I got my lap band years ago, I told no one, except my assistant. She was the one who went to the surgery center with me. Pass forward, I had an emergency which the band had to removed, I had to tell my sister. This time when I was deciding on VSG, I included her in the narrative. However, due to COVID, I had to go to the hospital alone, since I use to work there, I was comfortable. As I work in healthcare, we continue to work from home. Whenever we return to the office, many knew I was doing Keto and also having a GI surgery which was postponed due to COVID. I have already decided when folks ask, which they will, I am still doing Keto..lol
That's what I'm going to tell everyone except a choice few close people. I've lost on keto before, so will be believable.

Sent from my SM-G970U using BariatricPal mobile app

I did because there is always that 1 person that will tell you, You're going to gain it back plus some" I finally said "self don't worry about people like that, you got this no matter what".

On 5/20/2020 at 1:51 PM, Violetsareblue said:

I have told nobody except my husband that I had VSG. I don't intend to either. I told everyone I was having hiatal hernia surgery because they have a similar recovery. I had already started on a good regimen of biking and Peloton and everyone knows I eat pretty healthy, so I actually started losing weight slowly a couple months before my surgery date (5/15/20). And I intend on keeping up those habits post-op. I'm just a very private person, I do not ever put my deeply personal business out there to anyone, people talk, people judge, and I don't need any of that negativity. I know I can't control what people say or think, but I can control what they know about me. Just my personal comfort level and my decision.

Yay! A fellow Pelotoner!!!

I didn't want to tell people. I prefer to keep most health aspects of my life private, but after my initial consultation my wife decided to tell everyone. Fortunately i haven't gotten any negative comments from anyone. So far no one had said anything at all which I'm fine with four now. Maybe once I've had it I'll change my mind.

Sent from my KFMAWI using BariatricPal mobile app