Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric sleeve forums

I had got my gastric sleeve surgery about 3 weeks ago now. And idk if it’s everyone or just me but every time I try to take my chewable vitamins I just want to throw up , I try my best taking my Multivitamins but when I do I get the feeling of fullness , and can’t take down Protein Shakes plus all the pills I need to take . Has anyone else gone through this ?

Would sucking the Vitamins help do you think? That's what I do with my chewable multi Vitamin and calcium...I take my time with them, and by the I've finished its usually 20 to 30 minutes. I take one MV with my first meal, a Calcium with the next, another MV with the next meal and finish up with another calcium with my fourth meal.

For about the first 2-3 months after I was sleeved, I struggled to find the right Multivitamin, time to take it, how to take it, etc. Like you, I experienced nausea and fullness.

I eventually settled on VitaFusion, multivitamin gummies. I know that some docs say no on gummies, but they were the only thing that didn't make me sick for about an hour or 2 after I took them. It was a matter of either getting my Vitamins or not. I always had to take them with a meal, but I'd done that with the others and they still made me sick.

I'm afraid this period for you will likely be a bit of trial and error to find what works for you. After about 6 months, I was able to transition back to standard multi-vitamins. Today, I take them with my evening meal because I take my Calcium supplement in the morning.

It took a while for me to find Vitamins that the taste didn't make me vomit, but my doctor approved me taking (of all things) Flintstones Complete. I take half and wait 15 minutes to do the other half, then I eat my Breakfast 30 minutes after.

If you have chewables or pills that can be cut, try waiting a bit between it and see if that helps you any.

Also, the farther out you get, it DOES get easier to take them in one go. Just hang in there and keep taking them. ❤️

Edited by Sammi_Katt

Same experience here—each chewable worse than the next. I could not get past the artificial flavors and sweeteners. If I managed to get it down and was lucky, the feeling would pass after a sneeze or two (and maybe an alcohol swab).

RD recommended a capsule when I was on soft foods so I could open it and stir it into food. The Vitamin taste was hard to cover, but I preferred that over the fake flavors.

What helped me is not taking them all together, taking them with food like Soup or shake, something thick and smooth.

Thank you all for all your Information I appreciate it a lot, I will have to talk to my doctor about it soon. I will definitely try to gummies and see how it goes just because I am scared especially when my doctors say no gummies . . . And also I have tried to just suck on them and they just aren’t going so well for me. I have tried crushing them and putting them in some Water and take it like a shot but haven’t helped