Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight regain after gastric bypass surgery

I weighed about 315 pounds before I had my surgery. I had my surgery October 2011 somewhere around there. Now I weigh 177.1 and I really want to lose some more weight. I want to get down to 130 pounds but I have no idea where to even start. Is there anyone who can help me please?

go back to how you were eating the first year (not all the way back to liquids or purees - but back to way you were eating once you were a month or two out. That is, Protein first, then veggies, and then, if you still have room, maybe a small serving of fruit or whole-grain carb.

figure out what your sweet spot is calorie-wise. You can do that by tracking. First track for a week or two while eating what you're currently eating to see what your average calorie intake is NOW. Once you know that number, cut out about 100 calories a day. After a couple of weeks, if you're not seeing results on the scale, cut out another 100 calories. Rinse and repeat until you start losing again.

another idea is to join Weight Watchers. I know several vets who are fighting regain who've had success with the new WW program.

On 4/22/2020 at 6:11 PM, rlknight said:

I weighed about 315 pounds before I had my surgery. I had my surgery October 2011 somewhere around there. Now I weigh 177.1 and I really want to lose some more weight. I want to get down to 130 pounds but I have no idea where to even start. Is there anyone who can help me please?

Oh my goodness, you have done great! What stands out to me is that your surgery was in 2011 and you have maintained a 138 pound loss. I understand wanting to get to that ultimate goal, but how do you feel? Do you feel healthy at 177? We all want to be little-minnies, but what is reasonable for our age and height? You have done an amazing job, so I think you've got the eating under control, so maybe a new excercise regime that you like? Personally, I hate most exercise, but I love bike riding when not too hot, swimming, and yoga. I will never step foot on a treadmill or in a gym. 'Aint gonna happen! LOL!

I feel okay but I do have a few health issues and that’s why I’d like to take a few more pounds off. I’ve been walking anywhere from 10,000-20,000 steps a day. In 4 days I’ve lost 6 pounds since I’ve been working on this.

That’s great. As long as you feel good and healthy. I just seemed to need more energy to sustain my walks and keep me motivated and I do get bored with some of the Protein Shake options but they do help me stay on track.

Yeah they do get boring but they do also help. Idk I may retry weight watchers. I love to walk and I just want to be able to walk and not be out of breath