Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sips/ loop day

Hey! I’m new here.

Stats first. Starting weight :270 height: 5” 4” Surgery date: July 18 2019. Current weight: 177. Goal weight: 145

I know that by now I should be getting the hang of this eating situation, now that I’m 9 months post op. I just can’t seem to get control over my eating. To make matters complicated, no matter what in the world I’ve been eating, I’ve been losing weight nicely and have no complications whatsoever. I really have no motivation to eat ‘healthy’. The reason I did this surgery was to become HEALTHY, not to lose weight while stuffing my face with whatever I want.. I’m confused. To what extent to I need to “diet” if I’m mal-absorbent? My bloods are fine. I’m on top of my Vitamins. I work out every day. Should I be concerned about my eating? Do I have to watch strictly or eat only healthy? Because at this point it doesn’t seem to be making a difference. Sure, if I eat oily foods I have bathroom issues. But weight wise my eating seems to do nothing.

We are same day almost, I do not eat much or follow any plan either, I think you hit it the same way i did. I rely on vitamans and supplements and I mean a ton of them daily. So what I am missing from food i get in liquid or pill form. My blood work is perfect also so that is the key to both of us and we both exercise.

I am trying to eat more but just have a hard time eating

AJ

I don't know about SIPS but with gastric bypass the malabsorbtion stop sabout 14 months out.

Maybe you should be using this time to get a handle on your food issues that way you won't experience regain.

Good luck!

you may or may not have to eat healthy to lose weight (at least in your case - as long as the malabsorption keeps up), but if your goal is to get healthy and become less at risk for disease or other health-related conditions now and in the future, then yes, you should be eating healthy, at least most of the time. This is true of anyone...

7 hours ago, Riva_G. said:

I really have no motivation to eat ‘healthy’. The reason I did this surgery was to become HEALTHY, not to lose weight while stuffing my face with whatever I want.. I’m confused.

Well, one doesn't need to eat healthy to lose weight. To lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

You can lose or gain weight while eating healthy and you can lose or gain weight while eating unhealthy, it all depends on calories.

I don't know what kinds of food you typically eat and what you'd consider a "healthy diet". What I know is that what constitutes a healthy diet depends on the diet philosophy a person is following or what the person thinks the ideal diet should look like.

Do I have to watch strictly or eat only healthy?

Don't be more strict than necessary. Just creates compliance problems.

By unhealthy eating I mean I literally eat anything. I have a very hard time eating bread especially whole wheat. A regular day for me would go something like this:
I wake up at 7:30. Vitamins and two eggs scrambled. At 11:15 (recess at my senior year in High School) I’d eat some chips. Then at lunch I either have a slice of bread with whatever spread my school offers.... or nothing. At 3:45 again, some chips. I get home about 5:15. I’ll eat a meal one small slice of cheese pizza. salad. Some fries. And I do a lot of snaking throughout the rest of the day. Chips. candy. I’ll get in some Protein. A shake or something.... it’s not that I eat a lot. I physically can’t. It’s just the food choices. As I was typing this I actually realized I’m sticking to old habits that got me where I was in the first place. Namely, not eating much until I get home from school and then once I get home eat all I want

2 hours ago, Riva_G. said:

I wake up at 7:30. Vitamins and two eggs scrambled. At 11:15 (recess at my senior year in High School) I’d eat some chips. Then at lunch I either have a slice of bread with whatever spread my school offers.... or nothing. At 3:45 again, some chips. I get home about 5:15. I’ll eat a meal one small slice of cheese pizza. salad. Some fries. And I do a lot of snaking throughout the rest of the day. chips. candy. I’ll get in some Protein. A shake or something.... it’s not that I eat a lot. I physically can’t. It’s just the food choices. As I was typing this I actually realized I’m sticking to old habits that got me where I was in the first place. Namely, not eating much until I get home from school and then once I get home eat all I want

Hi Riva_G, thank you for sharing. You are losing weight and that is great but just keep in mind the reason that you decided to have the surgery which in your words was to become healthy, not lose weight. What do you think will or can motivate you? A person that is at a 'healthy' weight is not necessarily a healthy person. Same risks come with not having a mostly clean way of eating, heart attack, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, higher instance of brain issues such as dementia or Alzheimer, death or loss of limbs and quality of life due to all the negative side effects. I am sure that I am missing some stuff but hopefully you see where I am coming from. If you have Amazon Prime they have a ton of documentaries on different food choices, healthy eating, clean eating, and even a few on gastric bypass and following certain people thinking about gastric bypass.

I had my surgery last year in June. By no means do I eat perfect daily. I was even told the ridiculousness of most likely not being able to eat veggies or fruit, which to me is absurd and not a healthful tactic. Add a few chopped veggies to your eggs, or some fruit that you are able to tolerate. Start with the softer options, as it might be easier on your tummy. I would start with one fruit or veggie at a time to make sure you know what you are or are not able to tolerate. Did you take a nutrition class before surgery? I would talk to who ever you did the surgery with so they can connect you with a nutritionist/dietitian and hopefully your insurance pays for it. Perhaps pack your own lunch if this is a possibility. I also, by my own choice, do a food journal. This can help you to know which foods to swap out, stick to daily eating times such as Breakfast lunch and dinner with no snacking in between, making sure that you are adequately hydrated, and at the least can help you start to make healthier changes such as if you if you know you had a slice of pizza one day to not have it again for another 2 weeks, or something of that nature. Again, all about eating clean most of the time, Protein first, and staying hydrated.

You may be losing weight but it seems like you haven't learnt or made any changes in your relationship with food and you're need to eat unhealthy...

Health is more than just a number on a scale I believe it's what you put into your body.. I'm glad I don't have hardly any cravings and I've learnt to love my new way of life and I'm eating 90% fresh and healthy foods... Sure I'll have a treat once a week maybe but that's it.. And because of that I've lost over 150lbs in 8 months and I'm fitter and healthier than I've ever been.. and I feel good that I am able to make good choices when I go out to eat and that I'm no longer filling my face with processed junk high fat high carbs food.. so yes I love my new body but I also make sure to be as healthy as I can in my choices because my future success relies on the fact that I've completely changed who I was to who I am today and I've learnt so much more about my health and fresh healthy food that goes into my body...

22 hours ago, TisTrue said:

I was even told the ridiculousness of most likely not being able to eat veggies or fruit, which to me is absurd and not a healthful tactic.

This.

Healthy eating and good nutrition is more than lean Protein and pills, WLS or not.