Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

update on 10 years out regain, and weight loss

I posted a while ago about my weight loss, and regain and taking control again.

Started at 320 or there abouts 5'2" and 54 years old 10 years ago. VSG. Lost weight and got to 180 pounds. Over 8 years I regained to 220. Started slow weight loss / getting back into control in mid July this past year. I have now lost 30 pounds. Back to 190. I started my weight loss with a BMI over 54 in the 300's. I am still considered obese at 190 and a BMI just under 34; but darn it, I am so flipping proud of myself.

Yes, I am 64 years old. No, I can't really exercise ... but I do some short walks and I garden and vegetable garden, take care of my chickens. I had to get a local teen to help me lift 40 pound bags of feed this year; but I can still haul the 25 lb bags.... and I continue to work full time in my career. Life is good.

In my weight loss journey this time out, I stopped at 20 pounds lost and took a break. I experimented with adding in more foods, and balancing out what I needed to do to maintain that 20 pound loss, and did that for a month, then decided to lose some more. I think that i never really paid all that much attention to how much, what kinds of foods how I Prepare them.... and exactly how my body reacts to it. I use very little salt at home. When I eat out, I gain weight from the added salt. Yes, it is Water weight from the salt; but being on lock down at home and working from home, with no lunches out for meetings.... going to have to find places to lunch that cut the sodium out !!! Going to continue what I am doing. Taking breaks, slow weight loss and maybe make it down to overweight, or not.... but will be pleased to keep that 30 # off !!!

Still using my VSG. 10 years later.

You should be proud of yourself. I'm a 10 year vet as well. I've had some serious medical issues the last few years and via medications and some poor eating choices I put on some weight. I'm on the road back to goal and I'll be thrilled when I get there. I'm hoping to be back there before the end of the year. I've actually done better during lockdown then prior with my eating. I'll try to check back as I can use the support as well.

Congrats to you!

The key to managing weight gain is staying alert to it and having a workable plan. Seems like you have this in hand.

I'm also 10+ years out and living through the ups and downs. My salvation has been shopping with a tape measure to ensure I never buy a larger size. Vanity also helps.

I prefer the best quality I can afford over quantity. When the pounds pile on I cringe in the mirror and deal with it. Looking like all hell is breaking loose and having limited use of my wardrobe is motivating.

Thanks for your responses. To MSWDiet - is that your initials or your degree ? I have an MSW - still working as a social work supervisor in foster care and adoptions.

So it is now June, and I am still creeping down the scale - slowly - which has been my plan.... I need to know how to maintain, and how to lose .... something one would think I would have figured out at my age... but I am happy to say that I am at 185 - and feeling really good about it. Of course, now i have to figure out how to get some clothes that fit for going back to work in a few weeks.... and the stores are still closed here. I ordered shorts in 3 sizes from Kohls because mine were falling off... 20,18 and 16. Holy Crap. the 16s fit. My last pair were 2x. Happy to be back down out of plus sizes, and to be feeling strong and healthy.

I am thinking about staying right here at the 185 mark for a while. For me, maintaining my weight, and knowing how to do that is important. So yes, I am still considered obese. My BMI is 34 unless you look at the age BMI and I get to be 33 BMI - I have lost and regained and then re lost weight.

Started the journey at 320.

Lost over 140 pounds

Gained back 40 in 10 years

Lost 35 in the past year.

Just bought myself clothing in a size 16 petite. Not plus size anything. If I had wanted to hem pants, I could have bought size 14s. Not hemming pants. I walked into Kohls knowing I couldn't try on clothes. I bought 4 pr of capris and 2 pr of slacks all for work. mix and match with 10 tops and 2 light weight jackets. ALL on major sale - all guessing on sizing - needed to return 3 things that didn't look right for me.

I am good for now. Will learn to maintain this weight within a few pounds either way. And feel like it is a huge success. I feel good. I am eating well. Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, good Proteins, some carbs, and a treat or two .... Using my tool 10 years out.

Another month has flown by. I have lost another 3 pounds. 182. it isn't like right after surgery... but 10 years out, I CAN do this. And I am. Minus 37 pounds in 12 months. Looking at that, now, I see a slow steady weight loss of 3 pounds month. I am more than "good" with that.

Doing the same thing I have been doing. No radical dieting. Right now, being helped by my wonderful summer vegetable garden. Eating heirloom tomatoes and freshest cucumbers, green Beans and squash, eggplant and fresh bell peppers .... So good. Also enjoying treats like ice cream on a hot day. But so nice to know who is in control. ME.

As long as we all stay healthy in this crazy time of COVID and uncertainty . Be well. Stay strong.

Congrats!! Keep up the great work!

WOW look at you !!! Great Job !

Excellent to hear your success - love the summer garden and ice cream 👍🏼

August. And I have continued to lose about 3 to 4 pounds a month. I am super impressed with myself for this re-invention of ME at this age and stage of my life. I don't care if no one notices, I don't care if no one says anything - I feel so good. I am cooking for myself, and told my adult daughter who lives with me now, that she can prepare her own stuff, our eat out, or do take out, but this is what I am doing for me. She joins me for dinner a couple times a week, but prefers more carbs than I typically eat.

I am okay with it all, because I am; at 64 years old, finally doing me. Down to 178 for the last three mornings, so I can call it that. And I am so pleased.

On 8/14/2020 at 2:25 PM, BriarRose said:

August. And I have continued to lose about 3 to 4 pounds a month. I am super impressed with myself for this re-invention of ME at this age and stage of my life. I don't care if no one notices, I don't care if no one says anything - I feel so good. I am cooking for myself, and told my adult daughter who lives with me now, that she can prepare her own stuff, our eat out, or do take out, but this is what I am doing for me. She joins me for dinner a couple times a week, but prefers more carbs than I typically eat.

I am okay with it all, because I am; at 64 years old, finally doing me. Down to 178 for the last three mornings, so I can call it that. And I am so pleased.

Good for you. We are the same age and I have the same goal of 175. You are so close, Do not let anyone or anything stop you. I never made it to my goal. I am dealing with a regain of over 40 pounds and once that is gone I have an additional 42 to go. I hope someday to feel the same as you are feeling today.

37 minutes ago, ssflbelle said:

Good for you. We are the same age and I have the same goal of 175. You are so close, Do not let anyone or anything stop you. I never made it to my goal. I am dealing with a regain of over 40 pounds and once that is gone I have an additional 42 to go. I hope someday to feel the same as you are feeling today.

WOW! You have come a long way from where you started ! Great For YOU !!! I love hearing about people who are my age who have been through this too. It is different later in age than others imagine. Congratulations on your huge loss !!! And the gain of years of health !!

On 4/18/2020 at 10:26 PM, BriarRose said:

I posted a while ago about my weight loss, and regain and taking control again.

Started at 320 or there abouts 5'2" and 54 years old 10 years ago. VSG. Lost weight and got to 180 pounds. Over 8 years I regained to 220. Started slow weight loss / getting back into control in mid July this past year. I have now lost 30 pounds. Back to 190. I started my weight loss with a BMI over 54 in the 300's. I am still considered obese at 190 and a BMI just under 34; but darn it, I am so flipping proud of myself.

Yes, I am 64 years old. No, I can't really exercise ... but I do some short walks and I garden and vegetable garden, take care of my chickens. I had to get a local teen to help me lift 40 pound bags of feed this year; but I can still haul the 25 lb bags.... and I continue to work full time in my career. Life is good.

In my weight loss journey this time out, I stopped at 20 pounds lost and took a break. I experimented with adding in more foods, and balancing out what I needed to do to maintain that 20 pound loss, and did that for a month, then decided to lose some more. I think that i never really paid all that much attention to how much, what kinds of foods how I Prepare them.... and exactly how my body reacts to it. I use very little salt at home. When I eat out, I gain weight from the added salt. Yes, it is Water weight from the salt; but being on lock down at home and working from home, with no lunches out for meetings.... going to have to find places to lunch that cut the sodium out !!! Going to continue what I am doing. Taking breaks, slow weight loss and maybe make it down to overweight, or not.... but will be pleased to keep that 30 # off !!!

Still using my VSG. 10 years later.

Thank you for sharing. I am scheduled for sleeve surgery in a week and a half and I am starting to get cold feet. I started this whole process over a year and a half ago. Having someone share a long term success story is comforting.

46 minutes ago, dmendiola said:

Thank you for sharing. I am scheduled for sleeve surgery in a week and a half and I am starting to get cold feet. I started this whole process over a year and a half ago. Having someone share a long term success story is comforting.

And now 5 months later.... I am down 45 pounds from last July. I weigh less than I did in graduate school in 1981 !!!! I started this journey wearing size 28 pants before surgery. I am now wearing either a size 14 or a 16 petite ( which I like the fit on better for my short self ! ) and had to shop "blind" with no stores open ! But I couldn't keep my pants up to go back to work ! This journey has been a gift that continues to give me benefits many years later.

I have never regretted it for a moment. Get your surgery. You will lose weight. Do not worry about how fast or how much or compare yourself to anyone else. Take each ounce you lose as a victory and Celebrate it !!!