Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pandemic Check In

Hi just wanted to check in and see what people are doing differently to deal with what’s going on in the world at the moment. My husband and I were sleeved in Oct 2013 and have started to struggle in the last 2 yrs with 20-30 lbs gain. I’m in Aus and we are only to leave the house for exercise, shopping and essential travel. Neither one of us are working since we returned to Australia so that definitely adds to the stress.

I'm in NY and I'm mostly trying to keep my stress levels very low to prevent unnecessary gains. (Stress=Increased Cortisol=Gain)

Otherwise I'm enjoying home exercises (minimal) and a very bare bones, cleaner diet for the last few weeks.

Good luck down there ❤

my husband and I walk almost every evening and I do weights in my basement 2-3x a week.

I don't stress eat, but I do tend to eat when I'm bored, so this has been a challenge, but so far I've been OK. I try to keep a lot of raw veggies and grapes in the fridge to munch on when I can't seem to be able to control the urge to eat. I also drink a lot of fluids...and try to keep my hands busy, too.

I'm also in Australia (Canberra)! I've posted this before, but isolation has made it possible for me to plan and monitor my eating more carefully than when I'm working, so I've managed it quite well. I've actually lost a few pounds in the last couple of weeks. (And yes, I try to go for a walk every morning, which is still allowed here.)

I've been doing exercise classes on Zoom with a live teacher and other students. If I pay for the appointment, I'm far more likely to actually do it.

Yes I am walking about 2 km a day and keeping myself busy with cleaning, cooking and YouTube but boredom is a definite trigger for eating for me. I’ve gone back to a shake in the morning for Breakfast to try to help me with this so I’ll see how that goes. Stay safe and positive everyone

On 04/19/2020 at 00:07, catwoman7 said:

my husband and I walk almost every evening and I do weights in my basement 2-3x a week.

I don't stress eat, but I do tend to eat when I'm bored, so this has been a challenge, but so far I've been OK. I try to keep a lot of raw veggies and grapes in the fridge to munch on when I can't seem to be able to control the urge to eat. I also drink a lot of fluids...and try to keep my hands busy, too.

I’m the same walk every day but unfortunately the boredom seems to be my biggest problem at the moment

I'm also struggling. I guess boredom is a little bit of an issue, but I'm a happy introvert so staying home for long periods of time is not a big problem. But because I live in a small apartment, the kitchen is always a few steps away. It's hard to keep track of time since I don't have a regular schedule and I've stopped tracking. I just had a revision 7 weeks ago but I feel no restriction - I can eat whatever I want. To be clear, I don't (but I could). It's really hard to stick to tiny portions when they are so unsatisfying to eat. I've realised that I just enjoy the act of eating/chewing. It doesn't matter what. So I need to be careful about that. But I'm sticking to Protein and veggies (mostly) and the weight is still slowly coming off. I usually get my 10,000 steps daily (a two-hour, 7-8 km walk at night, usually after 9 p.m.) which is keeping me sane.

I find the most important thing for me is to keep busy and not in front of the computer! I start teaching online in 2 weeks so that will give me a bit of a schedule, but I need to work out how I can get my work done, but still do other things as well, including going outside for some fresh air and sun. Not sure how it'll work out. I live alone, have already been self-isolating for 6 weeks and will have about 4 months more to look forward to (unless things dramatically get better). The struggle really hit me this week. I've decided that I also need to start doing some weight training and core exercises, to help keep my body conditioned.

I had a bad week last week, but managed to get back in the swing of things this week. I am cooking more healthy meals and this last week I walked 8-12 miles every morning. Took today off to catch up on housework. Hoping to be able to continue walking... summer heat has arrived.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Eating very focused and on track, walking every day. Doing some Vinyasa at home and some basic CrossFit workouts in my basement (box jumps, battle ropes, squats, kettle bells, ball slams) a couple times a week.

Still going to work every day (nurse practitioner) but fortunate enough to work part of the day from home. Terribly hard time for us all. Hopefully everyone is staying well through this.

I'm back to my morning runs, and recently added a second run in the evenings.

Started a core strengthening program/routine with Mr. too...I have a secret goal to successfully execute and hold a yoga lift. I was always jealous of how Mr could do it, and now that I am half my former size, it is def a possibility!

Oh, and I've been spending more time cooking/baking, and cleaning out the basement, lol.

I know this is a horrific time for so many people, and I grieve for them. But in most every other way, I'm personally enjoying this time tremendously, actually. I appreciate not being immersed in the turmoil of daily life, and finally having time to pursue many of the intellectual pursuits and interests that are meaningful to me but that I never could find the time to engage in. This is the sabbatical I’ve longed to have.

I'm healthy and fit. I have an extremely active life of the mind, am skilled with being in relative solitude, am emotionally pretty experienced with managing change and disruption, and deeply fortunate about not having to be fearful about my career. Each day I learn more about myself, the needs of others, and do what I can from home, as well as delivering groceries each week for several family friends who are seniors. When I'm part of the world again, there will be additional opportunities to be a better friend and citizen.

Prior to the lockdown I was training for a sprint triathlon and have continued to even though it was obviously cancelled, so am doing 10-12km per day of walk/run intervals, cycling 40km per week, and swimming 2km daily. I still do twice weekly weight training and 20km per week of indoor rowing or solo outdoor hill hiking, and am trying to do yoga a few times a week. Occasionally I throw in stretching, core exercises, or an online or dvd exercise class just to mix it up a bit. In terms of diet, I'm still not particularly interested in food per se, though I really enjoy preparing food and looking at it/eating it. My rate of weight loss hasn’t slowed, so the average loss of 12-14lbs per month seems to be continuing and likely will as long as I stay the course with current diet and exercise levels.

For those who have lost a loved one, or their job or income, it's impossible to relax and enjoy the free time. A sustaining hope for me is that a more equitable and humane society might emerge from this struggle. A guaranteed national income here at home so that everyone has food and shelter, additional wealth taxes, a greener economy, and stronger national public service (and for Americans, universal health care for every citizen). All of these are things that many have long dismissed as panacea, and I hope they now seem more like pragmatic necessities. It gives me a sense of optimism to imagine society getting through this together, and to people working together to be an active part of an emerging, improved new reality.

Edited by PollyEster

Coming up on two months but I have not gone to the clinic or the office with any sense of regularity. Spending time at home working more hours than I would have ever imagined. Healthwise I think I’m doing OK sure could use a little bit more sleep! Notice my cardio is down and have been correcting that the last week or so. Trying to eat what is in my house to gain some additional room seems like there is food here from the last couple years- The things to purchased perhaps try or somehow just end up in your house! This is one of life‘s great mysteries along with disappearing socks?

Checking in to see how everyone is going

On 4/18/2020 at 1:40 PM, ausmith said:

Hi just wanted to check in and see what people are doing differently to deal with what’s going on in the world at the moment. My husband and I were sleeved in Oct 2013 and have started to struggle in the last 2 yrs with 20-30 lbs gain. I’m in Aus and we are only to leave the house for exercise, shopping and essential travel. Neither one of us are working since we returned to Australia so that definitely adds to the stress.

I'm in Australia luckily In S.A so no restrictions as such....

I feel it gives me more time to prepare meals and plan meals...

I'm only 9 months post op so don't get hungry much but to keep busy I'll binge on new TV shows Netflix and stuff..

Hopefully can start gym soon which will be good...

Just need to find hobby to keep yourself busy

Edited by New&Improved