Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

READY TO THROW IN THE TOWEL

This has been one of the biggest disappointments of my life.

I had a gastric sleeve performed on February 26. I was exactly 200 pounds on the day of my surgery. Today, almost 8 weeks out I am a measily 14.5 pounds down. BIG DEAL. I suffered miserably! Apart from that I counted on the surgery to help me. I am doing all the work and from what I can see, the surgery is doing nothing.

I am 6 years post VSG. I can tell you that every person has a very different experience. There are some that have 100% success. Some that have very little.

Hang in there. I have had ups and downs. I lost about 90 total, had some regain and got refocused- and lost it.

What I would tell you is to keep consistent with follow up appointments with your surgeon. I have a friend who went through VSG and had similar small losses as you.

She was considered a 'non responder' to VSG and her insurance OK'ed RNY and she lost 90 lbs without effort after that. Now 5 years out she's down over 100 post RNY and feels great.

@MsMocie:

I don't know where you got the idea that I expected pounds to slide of by magic. I never felt that way. I know that the surgery is just a tool to assist. My tool DOES NOT WORK. I never feel full. I eat only 600-700 calories per day. I exercise. What more can I do?

34 minutes ago, IAmGrace said:

This has been one of the biggest disappointments of my life.

I had a gastric sleeve performed on February 26. I was exactly 200 pounds on the day of my surgery. Today, almost 8 weeks out I am a measily 14.5 pounds down. BIG DEAL. I suffered miserably! Apart from that I counted on the surgery to help me. I am doing all the work and from what I can see, the surgery is doing nothing.

How tall are you, Grace? If you only weighed 200 on day of surgery and are 5’8”, you didn’t have much to lose, and maybe that’s why it seems slow compared to others?

I only wish I knew the success rate with RNY as compared with the sleeve.

However, given the choice I would NEVER put my body through anything like this again.

Can you usually lose 15 lbs. in a month and a half? I feel sorry for you that you're so upset, but I don't really understand it. If it was the worst decision you've made in your life, why are you unwilling to talk to a therapist about it? I'm sure you could get a teleahealth appointment with one after the weekend.

3 hours ago, IAmGrace said:

No Lily, I'm 5' 2".

I am a little shorter than you. Our calorie deficit isn't going to be all that high even if we are only eating 600 to 700 calories per day. The older we get, the shorter we are, the less we weigh, our gender means our maintenance calories are low, hence, our deficit isn't as great as someone taller, younger and weighing much more. We lose slower and lower. That said, you are in deficit and probably should be losing some weight but you have been posting for what seems like weeks that you haven't perhaps you are in a normal stall?

As we progress, it is likely that there are stalls,,sometimes these stalls can last up to two to three weeks as our bodies adjust to the different foods as well as likely an increase in calories. I have been sitting around the same weight for about a week or two. It is what it is, I have read enough here and elsewhere to know that it is normal and that if I stick to my guidelines that the weight loss will kick in again.

Are you willing to share a typical day's menu for you? Are you actually measuring or weighing your food or eyeballing it? What are your macros? How much Protein vs carbs? How much no calorie fluids? Are you exercising? Do you have any medical conditions or on medication that may slow down weight loss?

What type of foods are you eating: pureed, soft, solids? I know at my stage of pureed and soft foods that I am unlikely to feel full if I eat the foods that are on my list and in the volumes that are in my guidelines.

Going from your posts I think you are dwelling too much on scale weight and there isn't sufficient focus on non scale victories that are likely for you...improved blood pressure, lower cholestrol, improved fitness (if you are exercising that is, exercise isn't only for weight loss its great for mental health too), clothes fitting better, improved blood sugar levels if pre diabetic or diabetic, etc etc etc

2 hours ago, JessLess said:

Can you usually lose 15 lbs. in a month and a half? I feel sorry for you that you're so upset, but I don't really understand it. If it was the worst decision you've made in your life, why are you unwilling to talk to a therapist about it? I'm sure you could get a teleahealth appointment with one after the weekend.

I can easily lose 15 lbs on my own in a month and a half. I'm sure I have lost this on my own.

I never said I was unwilling to talk with a therapist although I do think it would be spitting in the wind. From what I see here the RNY is far more effective than the sleeve. I do wish I had input about that before I went under the knife.

I was 204 pounds the day of my surgery. I lost 20 something prior to my surgery as a part of the program I am in.

I looked up my records:

8/13/18: 204

10/1/17: 188.6

16 pounds or so, I was eating 600ish calories a day, and yes it pissed me off. I dug deep and knew logically something had to give simply because it’s impossible NOT to lose weight with so few calories. I had a month when I lost 2 pounds!

I lost weight very slowly, but I’ve lost 100 pounds *80 after surgery, and I’ve been keeping it off. It isn’t easy and it is frustrating but you can do this is you want it.

I’ve posted my weight loss chart here before, I’ll dig it out and repost it. You are not alone and you’re not the only person who has this experience. It sucks, but it is what it is.

You CAN do this and you can be frustrated.

This is surgery day through February

8EC59F1C-B953-4E67-BAC9-05B3B221CA18.png

Here is the following month, it was actually one of my better weight loss months. It came off s-l-o-w the entire year.

I hope this helps motivate you.

Hang in there.

F180FF39-6B00-49E4-B1C9-BAEBE5BA3AF5.png

Edited by Cheeseburgh

I’m confused why you are posting. If the surgery doesn’t help you and you want to throw in the towel nobody is stopping you.

People are trying to help you but you already have it figured out.

Best of luck.

3 hours ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Are you willing to share a typical day's menu for you? Are you actually measuring or weighing your food or eyeballing it? What are your macros? How much Protein vs carbs? How much no calorie fluids? Are you exercising? Do you have any medical conditions or on medication that may slow down weight loss?

I'm happy to share a typical day's menu:

TODAY

Breakfast was a Protein Shake

3 hours ago, Hop_Scotch said:

I am a little shorter than you. Our calorie deficit isn't going to be all that high even if we are only eating 600 to 700 calories per day. The older we get, the shorter we are, the less we weigh, our gender means our maintenance calories are low, hence, our deficit isn't as great as someone taller, younger and weighing much more. We lose slower and lower. That said, you are in deficit and probably should be losing some weight but you have been posting for what seems like weeks that you haven't perhaps you are in a normal stall?

As we progress, it is likely that there are stalls,,sometimes these stalls can last up to two to three weeks as our bodies adjust to the different foods as well as likely an increase in calories. I have been sitting around the same weight for about a week or two. It is what it is, I have read enough here and elsewhere to know that it is normal and that if I stick to my guidelines that the weight loss will kick in again.

What type of foods are you eating: pureed, soft, solids? I know at my stage of pureed and soft foods that I am unlikely to feel full if I eat the foods that are on my list and in the volumes that are in my guidelines.

Going from your posts I think you are dwelling too much on scale weight and there isn't sufficient focus on non scale victories that are likely for you...improved blood pressure, lower cholestrol, improved fitness (if you are exercising that is, exercise isn't only for weight loss its great for mental health too), clothes fitting better, improved blood sugar levels if pre diabetic or diabetic, etc etc etc

**************************************************************************************************

You think I'm dwelling too much on scale weight. Let me know if you learn of another way to measure your weight loss.

Grace