Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2020 surgeries

June 30th RNY for me. I am excited but worried about the pain after. I start my liquid diet on 06/16

Hi all! Just got my date - June 30! So excited and nervous and a bundle of emotions. Would love to start a group chat or something to stay in touch and motivate each other.

((Thinking about those who have surgery today! Hope recovery is manageable! Check in when you can!))

Edited by MaybeMeow

I’m back and alive guys! But man, not smooth sailing!

I had my sleeve done at 730am yesterday. Got to my room and felt great. Got some Fluid and Protein in with no problem, and walked walked walked.

Around 5pm I started feeling terrible. Sharp pain in my shoulder an left side, straight down from my armpit. Pain meds wouldn’t touch it. Everyone kept saying it was just gas pains, but I was dubious. I couldn’t even breathe without these stabbing pains through my chest.

At midnight my nurse came in to help me go to the bathroom, and I straight up blacked out and fell. Didn’t get hurt at all thankfully, but was told to take it very easy. This morning my nurses tried to help again, first by having me sit on the edge of the bed. Blacked out, hearing went, totally weird and scary.

My labs were all over the place, super low blood pressure, and my heart was racing even laying down, so my surgeon suspected a GI bleed. CT confirmed it, but didn’t show where the bleed was.

Back under the knife just a few hours ago, Wherever the GI bleed was, it had stopped on its own, but they suctioned 1500 cc’s (almost 50 ounces) of blood out of my abdominal cavity. I also got a blood transfusion. I feel brand new. Labs are coming back good, heart has slowed down. Whew! What a wild ride.

But I tell ya I’ve been living off of ice chips and Water for 2 days, and I haven’t had one single hunger pain. Looking forward to getting out of here.

Don’t let my story freak you out! My surgeon has done 6000 surgeries and said about .025% of his patients have complications. I’d still do it again even knowing what was lying ahead for me.

Edited by colormehappy

Hi all!!! I had my surgery 3 days ago. June 1st. The first night after surgery was terrible!! I have never ever felt pain like that in my life. And it wasn’t surgical pain, it was gas pain, from all the gas the pump in you so they can see your organs better. They said walking would help, and it did a lil bit. Yesterday day 2 I felt much, much better. It was a good day, still some pain but not much. Today I was released from the hospital, and I feel good. Just trying to get all my fluids in so I don’t dehydrate. Let’s see how this journey goes.

On 4/15/2020 at 4:50 PM, G8trgrl said:

I just scheduled my surgery today. I was wondering if anyone else is having their surgery in June.

I just had mine on June 1st. I’m out of the hospital now.

2 hours ago, colormehappy said:

I had my sleeve done at 730am yesterday. Got to my room and felt great. Got some Fluid and Protein in with no problem, and walked walked walked. . . .

So happy you are on the mend. What a scary thing to have happen. Keep us posted on how you are doing. Good luck!

1 hour ago, MsDeane said:

Hi all!!! I had my surgery 3 days ago. June 1st. The first night after surgery was terrible!! I have never ever felt pain like that in my life. And it wasn’t surgical pain, it was gas pain, from all the gas the pump in you so they can see your organs better. They said walking would help, and it did a lil bit. Yesterday day 2 I felt much, much better. It was a good day, still some pain but not much. Today I was released from the hospital, and I feel good. Just trying to get all my fluids in so I don’t dehydrate. Let’s see how this journey goes.

So when you get released from the hospital are you able to walk semi-normally, get into the car? Stand up for any length of time? I am not sure what to expect my first day home so will be very interested to hear how your journey goes. I have an 8 year old (single mom) and I want to prepare him. I just don't know if I'll be weak and in bed or walking around the house getting my own Water and chips. Keep us up to date. It's so useful to hear what one might expect so I can mentally prepare us both.

2 hours ago, colormehappy said:

I had my sleeve done at 730am yesterday. Got to my room and felt great. Got some Fluid and Protein in with no problem, and walked walked walked.

Around 5pm I started feeling terrible. Sharp pain in my shoulder an left side, straight down from my armpit. Pain meds wouldn’t touch it. Everyone kept saying it was just gas pains, but I was dubious. I couldn’t even breathe without these stabbing pains through my chest.

At midnight my nurse came in to help me go to the bathroom, and I straight up blacked out and fell. Didn’t get hurt at all thankfully, but was told to take it very easy. This morning my nurses tried to help again, first by having me sit on the edge of the bed. Blacked out, hearing went, totally weird and scary.

My labs were all over the place, super low blood pressure, and my heart was racing even laying down, so my surgeon suspected a GI bleed. CT confirmed it, but didn’t show where the bleed was.

Back under the knife just a few hours ago, Wherever the GI bleed was, it had stopped on its own, but they suctioned 1500 cc’s (almost 50 ounces) of blood out of my abdominal cavity. I also got a blood transfusion. I feel brand new. Labs are coming back good, heart has slowed down. Whew! What a wild ride.

But I tell ya I’ve been living off of ice chips and Water for 2 days, and I haven’t had one single hunger pain. Looking forward to getting out of here.

Don’t let my story freak you out! My surgeon has done 6000 surgeries and said about .025% of his patients have complications. I’d still do it again even knowing what was lying ahead for me.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Oh ColorMeHappy.... I can't BELIEVE you had a leak. First let me say how relieved I am to hear you are now feeling better and out of danger. Second let me say I'm so sorry you had to BLACKOUT for them to understand the seriousness of your pain and complication. I would think the moment your blood pressure came back low they'd send you to CT to rule the leak out. Gets me boiled a little to know you were suffering for hours. Please keep us updated. We are here for venting and distracting. Congrats on surviving!!!!! Onward!

Also... a clarification... did I thought a leak was gastric Fluid leaking. You were bleeding? Isn't that different?

On 5/9/2020 at 11:46 AM, Takoda said:

June 2nd😆! Scared, happy, excited and nervous all in one!

Mine was yesterday also.

21 minutes ago, DeAnnaScott said:

Mine was yesterday also.

Well, how are ya? Hanging in there? Care to describe the process? Hope you're passin gas and walking a marathon!

On 4/15/2020 at 6:50 PM, G8trgrl said:

I just scheduled my surgery today. I was wondering if anyone else is having their surgery in June.

My friend and I scheduled ours today. Either June 27th or July 4th...😃

3 hours ago, colormehappy said:

omgosh I'm so sorry you went through this. Hope all is smooth sailing from here on.