Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have my long awaited first appointment tomorrow. Kind of makes me laugh thinking when I set it up over a month and a half ago I was like “wow how will I stand the wait” I guess the global pandemic kind of helped pass the time. Another minor good thing that happened is instead of having my appointment cancelled which I had reconciled myself to, it got switched to a telemedicine visit. That is great for me because not only do I still get to have the appointment but it was going to be a two hour drive each way for the appointment so that really helps. Not sure how it will work being virtual but this is just so they can submit me to insurance to find out my requirements so hopefully this all works.

I know my insurance covers surgery, and I know I am for sure heavy enough to qualify under any BMI (yay, good job on that, haha) but I’m still nervous. I know it will likely be a 6 month monitored process but the only way I can afford this is to qualify under insurance.

I haven’t told anyone in my life except my husband but randomly tonight my parents told me while I was filling their pill containers they were concerned about my weight. They have dementia/Alzheimer’s so it kind of made me sad that they will get lost and forget how to use the bathroom but remember that I am way too heavy. I don’t want to talk to them about the surgery because they wouldn’t really understand and it would worry them but I am hopeful that I can get this surgery and lose weight in enough time for them to see it and know that I am doing ok. It would mean so much to me for them to be able to see that.

I’ll report how the appointment went, but has anyone had a telemedicine appointment for their first visit? I’m a long time lurker and everyone here has been so helpful. Really appreciate the support.

Well congrats on your first visit! I also had to do the six month weigh-in program to qualify and it flies by fast, though at the time I thought time was going too slow lol. I never had a bariatric appointment be telemedicine, but that'll probably be my 3 month check-in lol since my appointment is supposed to be at the end of next week and somehow I just don't see them wanting me to come in with the whole pandemic going on and all...

My best advice is just try your absolute best and I'm sure you'll do great! I hope things go well for you on your first visit!

Edited by NovaLuna

Well, I’m glad I didn’t drive for the initial appointment because I would have been pretty annoyed to have driven all that way for like 10 minutes. We went over my medical history very briefly and she described the surgery. Nothing I haven’t read here a hundred times. I did mention my concern about the sleeve is that I have pretty bad daily heartburn right now so looks like I’m going to get an endoscopy prior to take a look at that. So I’m submitted to surgery to find out the process from there. Overall the telemedicine visit felt kinda strange-doesn’t really feel like I had an appointment to be honest. But with how convenient it was i would love to do the nutritionist/psych evaluation like this if at all possible.
Now I can find out what my prior authorization looks like at least!

I have my first appointment through telemed today! I am nervous, my husband keeps asking why I’m nervous and idk I just am! I’m hoping it’s quick as I’m home with my almost 1 year old!

My 18 month old sat on my lap eating crackers for my whole visit. He has gotten used to being a part of my work meetings so once he sees that laptop camera on its time for him to start practicing his animal noises.

11 hours ago, blackcatsandbaddecisions said:

My 18 month old sat on my lap eating crackers for my whole visit. He has gotten used to being a part of my work meetings so once he sees that laptop camera on its time for him to start practicing his animal noises.

I had my first appointment as a tele visit too and my 6 year old talk to my doctor. my psych evaluations and my first nutritional visit were virtual too. It has been super convenient, but not sure if we are getting the most out of the appointments vs. being in the office. Hopefully you can get your next appointments set up the same way, so there won't be a delay in your process.

Edited by curvytiff

My initial consultation was in February, so I did that in person. I also had an upper GI test at the hospital before everything shut down for coronavirus. My next steps were a nutrition consultation (one-on-one with a dietitian) and nutrition class (group class with the same dietitian), and both were changed to telemedicine. They were both changed at last minute -- the day before the appointments -- so I was nervous about having to decide whether to risk going to a major hospital where coronavirus could be spreading just to complete my pre-surgery requirements, but luckily, in the end, I didn't have to. As a bonus, I saved a 2-hour round trip for each appointment.

One of my insurance requirements is a 3-month medically-supervised weight loss effort, so I have to go to my primary care provider once a month for three months to complete that. They changed the last appointment and the next one to telemedicine. They just asked me to weigh myself at home and take my own blood pressure and I talked to the nurse practitioner on Zoom for about 5 minutes.

My next step is psych consultation, which isn't scheduled yet, but it would be nice to be able to do that by telemedicine, too.

Hi!!! I’m so exited for you all. I had my first appointment In July 2019. My insurance requirements are 4 months of monitoring. Long story short, my surgery is May 6th, insurance is covering it. There’s been ups and downs along the way. It’s taken longer then I thought it would. Don’t get Discouraged, be your own advocate and know where your at in the process. My doctors office dropped the ball after Christmas and that’s why it’s taken so long.