Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foul flatulence and stools



Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, biginjapan said:

I believe that's most common for MGB, but not so much for a regular RNY.

that could be. I rarely hear that with RNY (sometimes, but not very often - most of us deal with the opposite problem). I haven't come across nearly as many people with MGB, so I'm not too familiar with that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

What is a lesser curved pouch?

Instead of it following the natural curve of the stomach, it's more vertical.

Screenshot_20200421-191848_Google.jpg

Edited by Sabs211

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mmy, you are not alone! Yes, I am the same way and I am only 4mths post-op! My kids tell me how awful I smell and I am always showering! I bought a bidet and I still feel as if I am a walking stink bomb! I have bought the poopouri and it seems to help but I walk and sometimes cannot control the gas from my (well, behind) but yes it is embarrassing and I have chosen to eat a lot of chicken and fish to control the diarrhea/dumping and I only have two equals in my coffee in the morning, I have started eating a lot of fresh fruits, bananas, blueberries, strawberries and kiwi! I tell my husband, I need to get it under control before we go somewhere for any length of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too am having issues like this. Every morning as soon as I have anything to eat or drink, it's straight to the bathroom for at least three to four visits. The gas is atrocious and very hard to control. I seriously hope it isn't like this the rest of my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have these issues. At least I can say I am very regular. Also what I eat predicts how bad my gas will get later in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m 6 years post a mini gastric bypass and still haven’t found a solution to my very very embarrassing problem. I suffer from foul smelling stools that can be runny sometimes. It causes me a great deal of embarrassment and distress.. I can’t use toilets anywhere outside my own toilet in my house.. and no one can use the toilet after me because the smell is very foul and lingers for a very long time.. I also suffer from a lot of smelly farts that usually start around evening time (hardly anything in the morning) ... no matter what I eat or what I eliminate from my diet it doesn’t cause a difference.. Does anyone seem to have a solution for this or managed to understand why? Please don’t tell me it’s my diet because I’ve tried changing it an eliminating so many things and nothing works.
I wish... I still suffer with constipation. Did they not take enough small intestine out??

Sent from my LGL722DL using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May I add, that I’ve had a friend recommending and insisting on enema and especially coffee enema.. this friend has never had a bariatric surgery so I’m sure she’s unaware of the exact causes of my problem. I have been hesitant on trying it but a quick google search doesn’t make it sound like a good idea.. but yet if this works I’m ready to give it a go. Anything to ease my problem
I may try it. I suffer from constipation and bloating

Sent from my LGL722DL using BariatricPal mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i Haven't been in here for a long time but wanted to respond to this post.

Firstly, I am no angel in the eating department but have found that the more fat I eat, the more I fart and they stink. When I keep the fat in my day lower, it is 100% more controlled. Fat also has a tremendous effect on poo. It tends to pass right thru so the more fat you eat, the more runny and stinky the poo.

Don't get me wrong. The poo smell is revolting but I find the better I eat, say with a lot of vegetables in the day, I'm in a much better position.

I eat dairy but too much makes me extremely gassy. So if I want an ice cream or frozen yogurt, I'll follow the first spoon with a chaser of lactaid tablet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, this is my life too. I'm five years out. Thankfully it's a little more routine than in the beginning. I'm a member of a pretty big MGB FB group and this is just a common side effect for many of us.

I hate it. There are times I have to leave work and race home (7 miles) to keep from using the restroom at work and I never leave home without poopouri but I remind myself this is part of the journey and it means my surgery is still working as it should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2020 at 2:06 PM, mmy said:

I’m 6 years post a mini gastric bypass and still haven’t found a solution to my very very embarrassing problem. I suffer from foul smelling stools that can be runny sometimes. It causes me a great deal of embarrassment and distress.. I can’t use toilets anywhere outside my own toilet in my house.. and no one can use the toilet after me because the smell is very foul and lingers for a very long time.. I also suffer from a lot of smelly farts that usually start around evening time (hardly anything in the morning) ... no matter what I eat or what I eliminate from my diet it doesn’t cause a difference.. Does anyone seem to have a solution for this or managed to understand why? Please don’t tell me it’s my diet because I’ve tried changing it an eliminating so many things and nothing works.

I am only 6 weeks out, but I have the same problem. I talked to my surgeon and he prescribed Cotazym ECS, Amylase & Protease & Lipase. This is very effective, but I also have to keep my intake at very low fat and sugar. Try this, it helped me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2020 at 9:24 AM, Loriey said:

I am only 6 weeks out, but I have the same problem. I talked to my surgeon and he prescribed Cotazym ECS, Amylase & Protease & Lipase. This is very effective, but I also have to keep my intake at very low fat and sugar. Try this, it helped me.

I'm 9 weeks post RNY and I'm suffering with obnoxious gas, bloating, abdominal pain followed by urgent, very smelly bowel movements 3-4 hours after I eat any high sugar foods (candy, Cookies, cake etc.). I was researching and found that SIBO is a common problem in post op RNY patients. Before I start down the path of self diagnosed SIBO, FODMAP diet etc., I'm going to try the OTC versions of the supplements your surgeon prescribed. I just ordered a digestive supplement at Amazon that has the Amylase, Protease and Lipase. Appears that the Cotazym is prescription only in USA, so I'm starting with the OTC and see if it helps. That will at least give me more information to discuss with my surgeon at my 3 month visit.

Thank you for the information!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mae7365 said:

I'm 9 weeks post RNY and I'm suffering with obnoxious gas, bloating, abdominal pain followed by urgent, very smelly bowel movements 3-4 hours after I eat any high sugar foods (candy, Cookies, cake etc.). I was researching and found that SIBO is a common problem in post op RNY patients. Before I start down the path of self diagnosed SIBO, FODMAP diet etc., I'm going to try the OTC versions of the supplements your surgeon prescribed. I just ordered a digestive supplement at Amazon that has the Amylase, Protease and Lipase. Appears that the Cotazym is prescription only in USA, so I'm starting with the OTC and see if it helps. That will at least give me more information to discuss with my surgeon at my 3 month visit.

Thank you for the information!

I HAVE heard of RNY patients who've had issues with SIBO, but I don't think it's all that common (I've been on a couple of bariatric forums for the last six years and don't see many posts about it - maybe three or four a year). It sounds like your system might be reacting to sugar - and/or the artificial types (especially sugar alcohols, the ones that end in -itol) those are notorious for setting some people's G/I tracts off like that). I'd lay off on those and see if it improves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I HAVE heard of RNY patients who've had issues with SIBO, but I don't think it's all that common (I've been on a couple of bariatric forums for the last six years and don't see many posts about it - maybe three or four a year). It sounds like your system might be reacting to sugar - and/or the artificial types (especially sugar alcohols, the ones that end in -itol) those are notorious for setting some people's G/I tracts off like that). I'd lay off on those and see if it improves.

@catwoman7,

I have also considered that my problems are caused by the high sugar content foods. I need to start seriously tracking everything that goes into my mouth to see the correlation between food and symptoms! I had a gastric sleeve in 2014 and never experienced any of these symptoms, so I guess I need to pay more attention to what I eat.

The good news is that the OTC digestive enzyme supplement I ordered is not going to hurt me.

Edited by mae7365
Add gastric sleeve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fruits cause gas as well especially bananas and oranges I am 17 years out Post Surgery and have found eggs broccoli potatoes carrots Beans cheese onions bread tortillas Pasta and more cause gas and foul smelling toilet habits. I have gone through several different diet plans and you just need to test what works for you every ones bodies react differently to the foods .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recent Topics

  • Most popular:

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×