Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone. I had the gastric bypass 7 weeks ago today. I have a question about fats. I have been told by my surgeons office that foods high in fat and sugar will make me sick, cause dumping syndrome, blah blah blah. However, they tell me I can have a tablespoon of Peanut Butter. High fat, right? And there are other foods I have questioned on their list that to me would be high fat. So my question is, what is the bad fat that I need to be looking for? Is there a difference in how my body will react to it?

Obviously greasy foods are not even in the picture. I get that that is bad fat but I'm talking things like nuts, etc.

Thank you for any insight.

Easy way to do this Straight from My Nutra. If you can pick it, Catch it or hunt it that fat is ok.

So peanuts grow and a good quality Peanut Butter is Ok

avocados grow and they are high in fat --- Ok

A bag of Doritos is not fall into being able to be picked hunted or catched so no go

first of all, not all of us dump - I've read about 30% do. I've never seen an actual percentage in peer-reviewed literature, but just based on anecdotal evidence (I've been hanging out on bariatric forums for 5 or 6 years), that 30% sounds about right.

I can handle sugar - but high-fat meals I can't. I don't dump, but it just makes me feel like crap.

"good" fats are things like nuts and nut products, avocados, olive oil

"bad" fats are saturated fats and transfats. Saturated fats are mostly animal fats (although palm and coconut oils are also saturated, but evidently not as bad as the animal fats). The saturated fat issue is a bit controversial. They used to say to really limit them, but now some doctors and dietitians are saying they're not as bad as we once thought. I usually go for lean stuff when I'm eating animal products (like chicken, turkey, and fish), though, just in case.

@catwoman7 thank you! That's what I was looking for. I haven't tried anything with sugar but I had 3 bites of a meatball with some sugar free barbecue sauce and I got really sick and went through the whole dumping thing. After, I looked at the nutrition label and realized it was really high in fat and that was probably why.(I know! I should've paid attention before I ate it but for some reason I was more concerned with the sauce. Lesson learned!) So I have been a little scared to try the avocado and etc because of that. But like I said I was confused because my surgeons office was saying to eat small amounts of nuts and avocado. So what you said makes perfect sense and helps alot!

21 minutes ago, Puffy-no-more said:

@catwoman7 thank you! That's what I was looking for. I haven't tried anything with sugar but I had 3 bites of a meatball with some sugar free barbecue sauce and I got really sick and went through the whole dumping thing. After, I looked at the nutrition label and realized it was really high in fat and that was probably why.(I know! I should've paid attention before I ate it but for some reason I was more concerned with the sauce. Lesson learned!) So I have been a little scared to try the avocado and etc because of that. But like I said I was confused because my surgeons office was saying to eat small amounts of nuts and avocado. So what you said makes perfect sense and helps alot!

actually, any high-fat meal bothers me, even if it's the good kind. I can eat some - like a handful of nuts or a couple tablespoons of avocado in a Protein Shake - but some high fat meal like fried fish filets with French fries would have me in the bathroom for the next hour...

Ok. I will definitely take it slowly in trying to figure out what I can or can't handle. Thank you for your help!