Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Changes and Returning to Tolerable

Hi RNY pals! I’m almost 2 months post op and have been really struggling with food and fluids. I had an endoscopy a couple of weeks ago and the doc stretch my pouch a bit but not too much since it’s still early on. I’ve had this continuous horrible taste in my mouth, I have no desire to eat anything due to my taste buds changing and every day I’m fatigued or just don’t feel good.

When do things get to a baseline? Will I enjoy foods again or be able to have dinner with friends? I guess I’m just in a rough spot and wanted to see if anyone is or had experienced anything similar or can share so tips or stories?

thanks so much!

I have had the same issues as you but they just give me nausea medication. My doctor is in Arkansas and I am in Texas so I havent had any labs or anything done which kind of makes me mad. I feel like something is wrong but cant get testing.

I'd guess that the bad taste in your mouth could be from the ketones in your blood from low calorie intake. If you are curious enough you can buy Ketostix (places like Target, Walmart and pharmacies sell them) - you pee on them and if they turn pink or purple you have ketones in your blood. Large amounts of ketones can also cause appetite suppression! That's why ketogenic diets work well.

I like to use Ketostix when my weight loss stalls. If the stick is negative, I cut carbs until the stick is positive, and the scale usually starts moving again.

Sounds like you are still in the "honeymoon" phase of weight loss--it will get better (or worse--depending on how you look at it...Not having a raging appetite can be a good thing!)

Edited by JRT Mom

I’m a month out today and am having the same issue but I see it as a blessing. The whole idea of chewing food just grosses me out. I’ll feel hungry and then when food is in front of me I just don’t want it. I can only eat 3 or 4 bites. I have to make myself eat. I am a little concerned because I am struggling to get in at least 600 calories a day. But at the same time I hope it lasts at least until I reach goal. It’s nice no longer being obsessed with food because I have to limit it.

I'm almost two months out also, bypass was on 2/14. I feel good about about the weight loss but wonder how to live and enjoy food again. I'm 43lbs down and also discouraged about my taste buds which are gone. I eat about 350-500 calories per day and struggle with almost everything as nothing tastes good anymore. I am just trying to keep food down-everything smells bad and makes me gag a little. I tolerate canned Soup and broth And strangely, diet low carb ice cream but only about 3oz at the most. I saw someone suggest refried Beans with cheese. I didn't think it would wrk, but I have had 1-2 oz a day for two days and they have been ok. I'm hoping the taste buds get better because I want to enjoy food Especially meat, again and balance it with my new life. Good luck to you in your journey.

I had the same issues but you MUST sip on a electrolyte sugar free drink 24/7 throughout the ENTIRE day! It eventually gets better. I had to get IV fluids once just to 'catch myself up'

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 4/11/2020 at 2:12 AM, Jessiejess1973 said:

I’m a month out today and am having the same issue but I see it as a blessing. The whole idea of chewing food just grosses me out. I’ll feel hungry and then when food is in front of me I just don’t want it. I can only eat 3 or 4 bites. I have to make myself eat. I am a little concerned because I am struggling to get in at least 600 calories a day. But at the same time I hope it lasts at least until I reach goal. It’s nice no longer being obsessed with food because I have to limit it.

I’m having the same concern of not getting enough calories or Protein because I just don’t want to eat. I definitely think it’s a blessing but I’m feeling fatigued and tired and really want to make sure I’m doing things the healthy way. Keep me posted if you find anything that works for you! :) I’m open to suggestions.

On 4/12/2020 at 7:18 PM, mmelvin2020 said:

I'm almost two months out also, bypass was on 2/14. I feel good about about the weight loss but wonder how to live and enjoy food again. I'm 43lbs down and also discouraged about my taste buds which are gone. I eat about 350-500 calories per day and struggle with almost everything as nothing tastes good anymore. I am just trying to keep food down-everything smells bad and makes me gag a little. I tolerate canned Soup and broth And strangely, diet low carb ice cream but only about 3oz at the most. I saw someone suggest refried Beans with cheese. I didn't think it would wrk, but I have had 1-2 oz a day for two days and they have been ok. I'm hoping the taste buds get better because I want to enjoy food Especially meat, again and balance it with my new life. Good luck to you in your journey.

Oh wow my surgery was February 12th. I’m experiencing everything that you all too! I will try the refried Beans suggestions. I’m just not finding anything that helps :( good luck to you too and thank you for sharing!

I am so glad there are so many of you that are going through what I am! I posted about a week ago pretty much the exact same, it's been so hard! But the relief just hearing it from you guys that what I am going through is normal...…...what a blessing! My bypass was on February 18th.

I have been averaging 100-200 cals per day. This week (other than this morning, because I ran out of baby spinach and used four leaf mix and it made me gag too many times) I have been having a half cup or so of green smoothie. It takes a couple of hours to get down and makes me feel full (and honestly a little sore) for the WHOLE day. I feel like it is a bit of an accomplishment because I'm keeping it in and its nutritious! On the down side, I am too full to drink much plain Water for the rest of the day.....just a few ounces.....but the smoothie itself has water in it!

If I never had to eat ever again, I would be happy.....it such a chore and super stressful trying to keep up with everything and then feeling like a failure when you don't.

Thinking of you all :)

L x

Edited by Loz77

On 4/22/2020 at 7:40 PM, Loz77 said:

I am so glad there are so many of you that are going through what I am! I posted about a week ago pretty much the exact same, it's been so hard! But the relief just hearing it from you guys that what I am going through is normal...…...what a blessing! My bypass was on February 18th.

I have been averaging 100-200 cals per day. This week (other than this morning, because I ran out of baby spinach and used four leaf mix and it made me gag too many times) I have been having a half cup or so of green smoothie. It takes a couple of hours to get down and makes me feel full (and honestly a little sore) for the WHOLE day. I feel like it is a bit of an accomplishment because I'm keeping it in and its nutritious! On the down side, I am too full to drink much plain Water for the rest of the day.....just a few ounces.....but the smoothie itself has Water in it!

If I never had to eat ever again, I would be happy.....it such a chore and super stressful trying to keep up with everything and then feeling like a failure when you don't.

Thinking of you all :)

L x

Thank you for sharing and I hope you’re able to get some relief soon too. What else to you put in your smoothie? I’m taking any ideas that I can get ☺️☺️

18 hours ago, simplyfit2 said:

Thank you for sharing and I hope you’re able to get some relief soon too. What else to you put in your smoothie? I’m taking any ideas that I can get ☺️☺️

I had the best one this morning, half a banana, half a cup of baby spinach, 1/4 cup frozen mango, 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, 1/3 cup kefir, Water as required. I make it with my 10 month old granddaughter, as it is part of her routine. Then we divide it between myself, DIL and bubs...…..she loves all smoothies!

We don't usually have blueberries, its usually strawberries or passionfruit with the same of the other ingredients (frozen because it keeps your drink cold). You can use anything really. I use it to swallow down all my vitamins/minerals, which is 8 capsules. I always have a really sore tummy after and feel full all day after having it, but I still think that getting that in with all its nutrients is better than nothing at all. I think we have about half a cup each.

Kefir has more Protein than milk and lots of Probiotics too, so I think it is an improvement on my 3 crackers with cheese...…….that I now dump...…... but used to be the only thing I could keep down. I had some roast pork and roast carrot last night with some thin gravy. It was lovely :)

Still lots of issues with dumping, stomach pain after intake, diarrhoea, zero energy and being puffed just walking/getting dressed...….but right now that's the norm for me and I know its just trying to learn my new system!

Best,

L x