Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ever forget you had surgery?

So while we are sheltering in place and cooking at home here in Massachusetts, I wanted to get Thai food delivered as a special treat. And I ordered what I used to order pre-surgery: Steamed vegetables and chicken. But one of my friends was talking about bubble tea today and I wanted one. And the coconut Soup looked so good. And since I'm not going anywhere, I got a shrimp roll in rice paper for tomorrow. The food came! So exciting!

I made it through the soup and half the bubble tea before I was DONE. I totally ordered like I never had surgery. I guess I have food for the rest of the week now!

Just curious if anyone else has done this.

I haven’t ordered yet like I’ve not had surgery but I’ve been driving past a Taco Bell recently really wanting a crunchy taco. I wanted it really bad. I’m 4 weeks post op, no way is tummy going to handle a crunchy taco but I get it.

Yep, that one last bite isn't the same as before surgery. My mind was thinking, you are eating such a small amount of food, the one more bite isn't going to hurt. Oh does it hurt and terribly bad.

My goal is to monitor what my full is, before I physically feel full. This is my immediate goal during April, learning "Ariel's " likes, dislikes, when she's had enough without hurting both of us, lol.

I'm just over a year out from surgery, and I have never forgotten. I actually think that's a good thing, because it means I think about everything I put in my mouth.

I'm 14 months out, and although I can eat anything I want, my tummy still reminds me of volume. I find that the things I used to love eating a LOT of - like stir fry veggies, just don't sit so well any more. I can eat out anywhere (except now!) or fix any kind of food, and in that sense, things are back to normal. But volume is definitely not the same - THANKFULLY!

I am presently enduring 2 weeks of home isolation due to COVID-19 symptoms, which are resolving without any problems, but I admit that there has been heightened anxiety/stress during all this. I am utterly dismayed to find myself resorting to food for comfort - I thought I had that one licked, but it has raised its ugly head, and I have gained 5 pounds! I have been too tired to exercise, so I have been a couch potato/food addict for nearly 2 weeks, and now I am paying the price. But.... I am now back on track with starting some exercise again, tracking my food, intermittent fasting, and working on my emotional issues. It feels MUCH BETTER to be in control of the food, rather than the food being in control of me. I need to hold this thought and remember that the long term reward greatly outweighs the short term gratification.

I always order normal, but never like i did pre surgery. The food sits too long in the fridge and then has to go in the trash.. Now.. automatically half goes in the freezer and i am 16 months out.. almost 17.

Not yet. I get full way too easily and my eating habits are something I watch closely since I have to get a minimum of 80g of Protein a day. So, that probably will never happen to me lol. Forgetting, I mean.

It's been 10 years since I had my VSG. I honestly never really think about the fact I've had surgery due to how long it's been. I'm used to eating small portions. I typically either share meals or order kids meals. I will admit there have been times when I'm eating somewhere that has amazing food that I really want mentally but my stomach says I have no more room. That rarely happens, maybe once a year.

Yeah, I didn't eat it, just ordered it. ;)

Lord yes...and I'm SIX YEARS post op! It took me over a year to actually train my eyeballs to know the amount I could eat. I still find myself filling a plate all the time then I sit down and 6 bites into it I'm done. All a part of the head games I suppose.

What I will do, though, is still order certain things with the absolute intent of eating my portion then having a specific amount of leftovers. I will pre-PLAN for the leftovers and exactly how/when I will use them so it's not wasted. For example if we eat out on Thursday nights I know to not order anything with leftovers because Friday lunch at work is always something that I can/will eat so the leftovers would be wasted. Works well most of the time!