Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux remains after revision 😩

On 5/29/2020 at 2:47 AM, Christina.Rose said:

I'm actually 3mo (sleeve to bypass for GERD) out and am still having acid. This bypass surgery has not been worth the effort, money, pain, misery so far. If I wasn't so disappointed and depressed, I would be pissed off. Sorry, no advice, but it is not just you.

I have been waking up with burning in my chest like before the revision and tonight I actually started feeling it and it went on for a few hours. I am still on my PPI and hoping it clears up over the next few months. Have you gotten any better ?

On 3/30/2020 at 10:36 PM, JRT Mom said:

I am 4 months out and still taking Protonix. BUT, I'm now only taking it once a day instead of twice a day, and not having nearly as many reflux episodes which were nightly the first two months, even with the Protonix. My PA thinks I'll only have to take them another month and then not need them anymore. Hopefully you'll find a similar resolution-you are not even a month out yet. Try not to eat or drink anything near bedtime and that might help also. Good luck!

Did your Gerd ever go away ? I wake up every morning the same as I did before the revision, burning in my chest. I have only had 2 episodes in the day time which is better then it was. I am considering buying an adjustable bed to see if that takes care of it. I am wondering if a pillow wedge might do the same ? I am going to start sleeping in the recliner a few nights and see if it makes a difference before I start buying stuff. Just wanting to know if someone out there with a revision due to Gerd has been able to get rid of it when the surgery didn't in the beginning

Edited by Tracyringo

48 minutes ago, Tracyringo said:

Did your Gerd ever go away ? I wake up every morning the same as I did before the revision, burning in my chest. I have only had 2 episodes in the day time which is better then it was. I am considering buying an adjustable bed to see if that takes care of it. I am wondering if a pillow wedge might do the same ? I am going to start sleeping in the recliner a few nights and see if it makes a difference before I start buying stuff. Just wanting to know if someone out there with a revision due to Gerd has been able to get rid of it when the surgery didn't in the beginning

wedge pillows - or propping the head of your bed up - supposedly does help..

16 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

wedge pillows - or propping the head of your bed up - supposedly does help..

I have propped the head up but it hasn't helped. I am going to try a wedge, thank you.

Hi I am in Los Angeles area as well. I had the lap band in 2009 but before I was banded I had my gallbladder removed. The lap band was awful so in 2013 I got a gastric sleeve. That worked fantastic until the acid reflux and Gerd. So to fix that I had a hiatal hernia repair and that did not work. So for the last 5 yrs straight I have been on prescription heartburn medication. It was so bad that I was in so much pain without meds. The medication controlled it but I didn’t want to depend on it. So I went to see My gastroenterologist and they did an upper G.I. and an endoscopy and it showed that I had a lot of acid and the only thing my surgeon said we can do with the bypass. So I just had to bypass this past Wednesday, June 24, 2020. I hope this was worth it I just read your story right now. I will be completely devastated if it wasn’t. My insurance allowed for me to have a revision. my gastroenterologist and they did a upper G.I. and an endoscopy and it showed that I had a lot of acid and the only thing my surgeon said we can do was a bypass. So I just had the bypass this past Wednesday, June 24, 2020. I hope this was worth it I just read your story right now. I will be completely devastated if it wasn’t. My insurance allowed for me to have it revision. I only stayed one night in the hospital. I am home and I’m doing well I’m on liquids but man I miss texture of food in my mouth. They put you omeprazole

for three months so once I stop taking that and if the Hartmans not gone that’s it I will be devastated. I went through the Association of South Bay surgeons in Torrance bariatric program. Where do you go?

On 3/30/2020 at 9:24 PM, itzmekc said:

I had revision from sleeve to bypass on 3/5, due to severe reflux. The day after surgery I already felt the reflux still, I’m so disappointed. I still have reflux, the medicine isn’t working to keep it away. It’s not as bad as it was before surgery but it’s still there daily and still wakes me up. Has anyone else had revision for reflux and not had it go away like me? What did you do next? My dr said maybe it will still go away, and if it doesn’t hopefully it won’t be as bad as it was before, I don’t accept that as an answer. It needs to go!

Has it gotten any better for you ? Are you still taking a PPI ?

Has anyone had the revision to bypass for Gerd and lost weight as well? My doctor told me I’d lose some and that would sure be a bonus besides the heartburn because I packed on 40 pounds over the years :(

On 6/29/2020 at 12:06 AM, Old profile said:

Has anyone had the revision to bypass for Gerd and lost weight as well? My doctor told me I’d lose some and that would sure be a bonus besides the heartburn because I packed on 40 pounds over the years :(

@Losingit2018 had the revision due to Gerd. I think she lost around 70 lbs since her bypass last NOV.

Its been about a week now and i have not been waking up with burning !! I am very hopeful .