Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reflux remains after revision 😩

While I didn't have revision. I did have my sleeve and esophagus repaired. My doctor believes as I slowly lose more weight? My reflux will decrease. It was working until the lockdown. I just need to move more!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

I had surgery a few days after you , for similar reasons. I am also having some symptoms :( I take the meds and they help but WTF?

Ugh I’m sorry it’s happening to you too. I spoke to my surgeon Monday, he said I’m the only one he has had that the reflux hasn’t completely resolved and he’s perplexed. I just want it gone! Please keep me updated on how’s yours is doing!

16 hours ago, itzmekc said:

Ugh I’m sorry it’s happening to you too. I spoke to my surgeon Monday, he said I’m the only one he has had that the reflux hasn’t completely resolved and he’s perplexed. I just want it gone! Please keep me updated on how’s yours is doing!

I hope things get better for you. Let me know if something changes for you, or any issues come up.

On 04/24/2020 at 23:55, frozengrapes said:

I hope things get better for you. Let me know if something changes for you, or any issues come up.

How do you find the bypass compared to the sleeve
Without the heartburn issue. I have it and scheduled for 5/27 now for a bypass. Do you feel it better being able to eat etc. where the sleeve had restrictions.

3 hours ago, ge0rgette2 said:

How do you find the bypass compared to the sleeve
Without the heartburn issue. I have it and scheduled for 5/27 now for a bypass. Do you feel it better being able to eat etc. where the sleeve had restrictions.

So far, so good with the GERD issues. However my GERD didn't start for about 2 years after my sleeve. I feel very different. With the sleeve I felt full and it was very high up in the midchest area, not quite a pain but an uncomfortable feeling. It was very obvious when I was full. Now I do not have that at all. I was worried about it. It seems now I do not get any fell feeling in my chest. I just kind of don't feel hungry after a bit of food. No pain, no discomfort, just lose that hungry feeling.

I do have EXTREME gas almost every evening, sometimes very very painful. I had not had that at all with the sleeve.

I am at week 9 just starting on a regular diet again. I have had no issues with any of the foods I have tried. Just bloating and gas most evenings.

Good luck with your surgery and if you have any questions please let me know.

Edited by frozengrapes

In the beginning I was shocked at how much I could drink, never felt full from drinking like I did with the sleeve. Once I started eating solid food I felt the restriction, and I am still learning not to take that extra bite because I will have a very uncomfortable feeling and thick saliva and throwing up is the only thing I can do to feel better. I have had a few instances where out of no where I am running with a watery mouth to vomit. I remember being told you can’t throw up after bypass and that’s clearly not true! My reflux still sucks, and the weight loss is SLOWWWWWW.

1 hour ago, itzmekc said:

In the beginning I was shocked at how much I could drink, never felt full from drinking like I did with the sleeve. Once I started eating solid food I felt the restriction, and I am still learning not to take that extra bite because I will have a very uncomfortable feeling and thick saliva and throwing up is the only thing I can do to feel better. I have had a few instances where out of no where I am running with a watery mouth to vomit. I remember being told you can’t throw up after bypass and that’s clearly not true! My reflux still sucks, and the weight loss is SLOWWWWWW.

You can definitely throw up after bypass! I wonder where people got the idea that you can't??

weight loss after revisions IS slow for most people

how long ago was your revision? I'm surprised you're still having reflux. If it was recent, does your surgeon have you on a PPI? Most surgeons put people on them for the first 3-6 months (for revisions AND for virgin surgeries.

2 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

You can definitely throw up after bypass! I wonder where people got the idea that you can't??

how long ago was your revision? I'm surprised you're still having reflux. If it was recent, does your surgeon have you on a PPI? Most surgeons put people on them for the first 3-6 months (for revisions AND for virgin surgeries.

For some reason, I would think you would have the opposite affect, out the other end ;) since it's intestines.

Why are revisions slower paced for weight loss, do you think?

Just got off the phone w/ my surgeon - had a tele visit, hospitals opening up there, I won't be on a COVID floor, but COVID will be in the hospital somewhere.. I feel comfortable ... as I know they'll clean and take precautions, etc. plus my husband had a mild case of Covid about 7 weeks ago ..... so I've been exposed.. Just need to stay safe now and not get it to have surgery.

3 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I had surgery 3/5. I was on omeprozole and it didn’t do anything, I went back to Nexium and it was still there so now I am back to two Nexium a day. Just like before surgery. My surgeon says he’s perplexed, I’m the only one he has had where the reflux was not resolved. Very aggravating.

9 minutes ago, itzmekc said:

I had surgery 3/5. I was on omeprozole and it didn’t do anything, I went back to Nexium and it was still there so now I am back to two Nexium a day. Just like before surgery. My surgeon says he’s perplexed, I’m the only one he has had where the reflux was not resolved. Very aggravating.

It usually does resolve, but not always. Hopefully it will as you get further out.

39 minutes ago, ge0rgette2 said:

For some reason, I would think you would have the opposite affect, out the other end ;) since it's intestines.

Why are revisions slower paced for weight loss, do you think?

Just got off the phone w/ my surgeon - had a tele visit, hospitals opening up there, I won't be on a COVID floor, but COVID will be in the hospital somewhere.. I feel comfortable ... as I know they'll clean and take precautions, etc. plus my husband had a mild case of Covid about 7 weeks ago ..... so I've been exposed.. Just need to stay safe now and not get it to have surgery.

As far as intestines, Constipation is far more common for bypass and sleeve patients than diarrhea is (diarrhea is more of an issue with DS patients)

Not sure why weight loss is slower with revisions, but a lot of revision patients have mentioned it...

On 5/14/2020 at 11:49 AM, itzmekc said:

You are only in a few months and I would assume you still have quite a bit of swelling, maybe after all the swelling goes down so will the acid? I sure hope so because I am going in Friday for my revision and wont be happy at all if in 6 months I am no better. Would be nice if you could update when/if things change. Good luck

How much have you lost since surgery ?

Well I hope it gets better, I will update if it does! Good luck on your surgery, it sounds like the majority has reflux go away completely so I’m sure you will be one of them 😊 I have lost 23, been stalked for 3 weeks now...

I'm actually 3mo (sleeve to bypass for GERD) out and am still having acid. This bypass surgery has not been worth the effort, money, pain, misery so far. If I wasn't so disappointed and depressed, I would be pissed off. Sorry, no advice, but it is not just you.