Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Raw vegetables - which ones and when?

Personally, my symptoms if I eat something that doesn't agree with me (or eat too fast or don't chew well enough) are stomach pain/cramps, nausea, lightheadedness, fatigue, and sometimes a racing heart. Often, I have a feeling like the food or Fluid is sitting above my stomach and taking some time to get there, though this particular feeling has been fading away as I progress.

I have never, not once, actually vomited - not even close. (Which I count myself lucky for.) I also seem to have a reaction pretty quick if I'm going to have one at all, which also seems like a good thing.

I am 5 weeks post-op, and I often feel tired and lightheaded after I eat even if there is no pain or nausea. Not always, but usually. I try to plan 20 minutes to lie down after I eat. I'm hoping this symptom goes away someday, or else I'll never be able to eat out!

4 hours ago, AcidArmor said:

I was just warned about raw veggies during a video appointment with my dietician about waiting a while after surgery, and to enjoy them as much as I can leading up to it. When you guys say stuff doesn’t “sit well” could you possibly give any more description? Is it just like, nausea or indigestion? Or stomach cramps and the works? Just wanted to get an idea of what that may be like

I can only speak for myself, but for me, I guess you'd call it indigestion.

6 hours ago, AcidArmor said:

When you guys say stuff doesn’t “sit well” could you possibly give any more description? Is it just like, nausea or indigestion? Or stomach cramps and the works? Just wanted to get an idea of what that may be like

Hmm. It varies for different things for me. I've gotten nausea with some things. Stomach cramps with others. Gas. Diarrhea. It just depends. For example, I don't deal well with sucralose or fake sugars (though I'm okay with stevia) and it's way TMI, but you asked so... I get really REALLY bad gas. My stomach makes noise and EVERYTHING. And then it ends up with diarrhea so... no fake sugars for me! 😅

I was bad with dairy for a while, but I tolerate it better now than I did early on, which is good because I love my cottage cheese and yogurt! I haven't tried Jello since liquid phase because it caused indigestion for me and it was painful and super uncomfortable! I tried it twice in the hospital and twice and home and was so done after that.

On the bright side... I have yet to vomit. Everyone was telling me I'd for sure get sick and vomit and I'm almost two and a half months out and haven't vomitted even once. So I say HA to all those who told me I'd get sick!

Oh no. You just jinxed yourself @NovaLuna. (I hope not really though cause vomiting is never pleasant.)

My first time was at about 3months. It was overcooked, soggy carrot. And it happened very quickly.

My stomach would not tolerate salads very well for 6-9 months

I’m 8 weeks post-op RNY. My NP said I was good to go with raw vegetables. I ate 2 baby carrots a few days ago and I was fine. Then last night I ate 1 baby carrot & I felt like I was going to die with chest pain because they got stuck, & I got foamies & nausea. It was awful. So needless to say I ran out today & got some Papaya Enzyme tabs, which were recommended to me.

Thought I'd update this post again now that I'm almost 3 months post-op. I tried salad 2 months post-op with no problems, then raw carrots a week or two later.

Was the most frustrating thing for me. Was jonesing for veges. Tried at 3 weeks when I started the soft diet. Did spinach in an omelette. Stomach did not like it at all. I am now 12 weeks out and do fine with cooked veges but the raw ones I need to be careful with.

I’m 3.5 weeks post op sleeve and my surgeon’s plan doesn’t allow for raw vegetables until like week 8. I’ve had raw onions in a tuna salad and tomatoes (tech. a fruit) Those have been great.

you want steamed/well cooked and soft veggies like squash, carrots, cucumbers, celery and zucchini and all peeled with the skin off. And in first three weeks, puréed or soft enough that you can really chew them into a mash before swallowing.

each surgeon calls for a different plan of course and everyone reacts differently.

I was released to a solid diet today and specifically asked about lettuce and raw vegetables. Doc said I am cleared for all of them. He said I have zero restrictions.. (besides food being high in Protein, low in sugar and low in fat).

Today I had 3 baby carrots and one slice of deli turkey for lunch and I was fine.

For dinner, I had a VERY small salad... (like 4 bites worth) and I have done fine. *only ate a small amount because I wasn't very hungry because I had a late lunch.

My doc seems to allow things a lot sooner than other doctors.

Edited by Lanie992