Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When do you get to drink instead of sip?

please tell me this isn’t a forever thing. I know I need Water but can I just take a swallow eventually instead of the tiny sips every minute?

I was sleeved on 3/3/20. I can now drink my Water but I still sip my Protein Shakes. I can do about 2 or 3 swallows at a time of water. Your body will let you know when you can handle more than just a sip.
It’s definitely a case or trial and error as we go. I’ve tried drinking my Protein shakes instead of sipping and my tummy is not ready for that. I started hiccuping or burping it into the toilet. 🤮😂❤️

Edited by CammyC

you'll be able to eventually. I drink the same way I did pre-surgery and have been for quite awhile.

It took a few weeks, but I can "drink" fairly normally now. I can't full on chug Water, but I can take fairly normal mouthfuls without any discomfort now. The farther along you get with your recovery, the more you will be able to do things comfortably. ❤️ Hang in there.

I'm could drink normally a little after 3 weeks.

Thank so you much! So glad to know it’s not forever! I have been able to not tiny sip but not drink normally either for the last couple days but have been afraid to do so. Glad to know it will go back to normal eventually!

9 hours ago, Xx1jpt5xx said:

I'm could drink normally a little after 3 weeks.

Me too. Tomorrow will be one month post-op and I drink normally now, although I'm certainly not drinking an entire glass of Water at a time. But I haven't done sips in 2 weeks I think.

Hang in there shortly less then a month was my deal. I can chug now if i want

I was able to drink Water "normally" about 2 months out.

I still sip my Protein water, though. I want it to hang around in my tummy as long as possible. LOL

On 3/29/2020 at 3:39 PM, Ling82 said:

can I just take a swallow eventually instead of the tiny sips every minute?

Yes, I think I started taking swallows around 2 months post-op. I am now almost 4 months post-op and I can take a swallow, but not a BIG swallow.

I’m still waiting for this 3 weeks post op.

Today I exercised hard enough that I was super thirsty - which made it really annoying not to be able to drink normally.

Is it normal for your stomach to gurgle after eating on the liquid diet? I’m about 5 days post-op and my stomach is so loud after I eat. Feel like even the people on the phone can hear while I am working. Lol

Well I’m still on liquid so I don’t eat yet but my stomach for sure gurgled the first several days. I’m 14 days post op now and it doesn’t anymore.

12 hours ago, Mikiala86 said:

Is it normal for your stomach to gurgle after eating on the liquid diet? I’m about 5 days post-op and my stomach is so loud after I eat. Feel like even the people on the phone can hear while I am working. Lol

After the liquid diet, after a normal diet, before a normal diet... lol

My stomach talks to me constantly.

13 hours ago, Mikiala86 said:

Yes and sometimes mine still is super loud. we were playing a board game and my stomach was so noisy after drinking my Water through out the whole game,